written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Tuesday 7 February 2012

Happy Birthday Mr. Dickens

08:46:00 Posted by Lara Clayton , , , , 4 comments
Firstly, I'd like to apologise for the lack of a blog post yesterday, and the measly attempt at a post today. Shaun and I have both been unwell; this is a house of sniffles, sneezes, snot, coughs, temperatures and shivers.

Secondly, I'd like to apologise for not sticking to this week's theme: Narrative or Lyric. My mind is a mushy pulp and even just trying to form a sentence feels like quantum physics.

But, I would like to mention that today would have been Charles Dickens' 200th birthday and - on a blog that is all about poetry, prose and writing - to not mention it would seem rude. Everyone loves a little bit of Dickens: be it a novel, a BBC adaptation, or the Muppets dashing through A Christmas Carol.


In the Guardian yesterday, the 'poem of the week' was specifically chosen for its Dickensian theme - and I definitely think it is worth the read: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/feb/06/poem-of-the-week-charles-dickens?newsfeed=true

So I hope you enjoy, and hopefully I'll be back with a slightly better and more-on-topic post next week.

Thank you for reading,
Lar.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Aw it's rubbish being ill, hope you're both better soon. xx

Ashley Lister said...

Get well soon guys.

And thanks for the reminder that it's the anniversary of Chuck's Birthday. Next year I think we should all club together to get him a card :-)

Ash

Standard said...

Sorry to hear you're both ill. TBH I was wondering what the Dickens was going on.

Maybe it's just me but I am now picturing a Dickensian scene of the poor downtrodden poet underclass huddling under blankets with no heating, shaking in the cold and sipping soup from broken crockery.

I'm sure your house is much nicer than that but that's what happens to my head when you mention ol' Charles.

Hope you both get better soon

Damp incendiary device said...

:-(

I am taking Ste's Dickensian image and running with it. When's the next dressing up event Ash ;)

Eat lots of oranges but not so many that you start to run.

Pugs and kisses xxx