written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Thursday 12 April 2012

A message from the Head of Marketing

06:44:00 Posted by Ashley Lister , , , , 14 comments


by Rachel Thomas

I was so very excited to accept the position of Head of Marketing at T’Poets until I realised I was being asked to write a guest blog. Suddenly I became pleasantly petrified and started googling prodigious locutions. I can’t really say it made me feel much better.

Here on my holidays in sunny blog world I have to say this is how I imagined my life to turn out. I am mingling with deep, poetic types and although the amount of Guinness involved is considerably less than expected I try to remember that I too am a deep, poetic type and I should really make an effort to fit in.

While poets big, small and understated throw syllabic butterflies out into the cosmoverse I have watched in wonder as they flap their tiny little wings creating phenomenal hurricanes of laughter, emotion and inspiration. – Bear with me here I am TRYING....


My point is that macro isn’t versus micro. Micro IS macro. Macro is micro.

I am not going to get into the valid debate about whether Darwin was big or small but please, have a think about evolution. Out of tiny acorns grow huge oak trees yes and where does the universe come from? A teenie tiny tinchy little minuty sparkly thingy – Right?

Just look at us! My, haven’t we grown!

The only other thing I wanted to mention was that the tiny sparkle is in you. It is the idea that grows into a novel, the football win that lifts your spirits and makes you fling your arms around sheer strangers, (cough cough) it is in your heartbeat when you see pictures of cute kittens and wander off to the cat rescue centre, you are the dream that turns into a whole reality. It is the drop in the ocean of happiness and what more it spreads like chicken pox.

I am all for embracing the micro AS the macro and the macro AS the micro because, after all, the universe is made of stardust.

***

Rachel Thomas is a poet, educator and graduate from Blackpool & Fylde college.

http://www.facebook.com/rachelthomaswrites

http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Coffee-Blooms-ebook/dp/B005HAB1HO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334209937&sr=8-1

14 comments:

Ashley Lister said...

Good morning Ms Thomas,

Thank you for the timely reminder that the seed for all creation lies within each of us.

Excellent post,

Ash

Standard said...

Hi Rach, did anyone tell you I'm part of this blog? Deep and poetic? Pah! I'm about as deep as a paddling pool and as poetic as a dog turd :) Nice to see you on here. I was unaware you're now marketing director, welcome to the fold. nice post. And it's true micro vs macro does seem like its all one and the same, especially if you look at M theory and such.

Great post. See you later, I'm off to throw some syllabic butterflies out into the cosmoverse ;P

Standard said...

May I also suggest we call you Minister of Truth instead of Head of Marketing? :D

Rachel Thomas Writes said...

Thanks Ashley!

Stephen, I would happily settle for Head Director of Marketing - Minister of Truth! It has a certain ring to it. Can we discuss the salary now?

Standard said...

Stephen? Who's Stephen? My name is Standard Stanjeevicus Stephendix. I think steering group members should be named after positions from Orwell's 1984, therefore you should be Minister of Truth, Lara should be Minister of Love and Shaun should be Minister of Plenty, Ashley should be Minister of Peace. All positions are ideologically based and therefore salary is null and void.

Rachel Thomas Writes said...

Stephen, ;) I got to P54 of 1984. The idea of rewriting history upset me so much I couldn't read anymore and I gave the book to James. I don't even know what the other positions are! However, surely we should all get paid? Spamming Twitter all day is time consuming...

ARGH! Did you mention a minister of love? The book is creeping into my brain even though I got it out of my house. PLEASE tell me he didn't reckon love and peace were ideologies?

I mean, it's not my group but I would suggest job titles based on characters in nice novels not the theories of the scary guy who bothered to show us the future so we could all ignore it. I did kinda like books vs cigarrettes though.

Standard said...

Ok, I baggsy Eric Sanderson! (the Raw Shark Texts)

Standard said...

Oh and the Ministry of Love was the ideological wing, in charge of re-educating heretics. Basically they were in charge of torture but it was all through love you understand? Getting the mentally deluded back on the path of love and peace and acceptance.

Rachel Thomas Writes said...

:( Mildly better than what I expected I suppose! The guy is very talented but it's like he's taking your brain and smashing to pieces.

I want to be Granny Weatherwax, please. I don't know if she did any marketing but I bet she'd be ace at it. :)

Anonymous said...

we have a head of marketing? have i been in a coma and missed the vote?

Rachel Thomas Writes said...

No Anony, not to my knowledge. Hope you enjoyed the post. x x

Anonymous said...

i don't read anything that mentions marketing.

Rachel Thomas Writes said...

I don't blame you, I've not read it either. There should a reference to marketing in the first bit. I'm trying to say I am a lot better at other things other than writing, like Twitter and Facebook. I used to have a website to help other writers. It is a lot scarier to write than to plug other authors. x x

Anonymous said...

ah,facebook, that place where nobody can spell and everyone tells people they don't know intimate details of their lives.
i agree, writing is open to criticism and one scrutinises every comment for hidden meaning, believing that when someone says 'that's good' they mean 'what a piece of crap!'