written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Friday 18 May 2012

The abyss stares back and makes me laugh

10:48:00 Posted by Lindsay 4 comments

I love to lighten a situation with a little dark humour. It’s my favourite type. Funerals of even people I adored are fair game. I’m not sure it’s everyone’s cup of tea but I find it relieves the tension in the blackest of situations. Thankfully I’m married to someone with a similar sense of humour but I’d say mine was far blacker. When my husband was in hospital after having his bowel resection after they found cancer I found his hallucinations on the morphine so funny. Not until after a day or two of course but when you’re mistaken for someone from the Human League how can you not laugh?  He thought he had a change of visitor that day.

We both found the fact that his snoring kept the whole surgical high care ward awake a treat. Now I assure you that I’m only a little bit evil. Like most of us I have a dark side, but mine is related to what I find amusing. If you fall over in the street I can’t help but laugh. If you miss your seat and land on the floor then my funny bone is activated. I’ll laugh if I do it as well so fairs fair, even if it really hurts. But if someone needs help or is in pain I can empathise, I’m not a psychopath. Although I did enjoy American Psycho, that did amuse me.

Thinking about it now I probably mortify people. But in my defence it’s a coping mechanism. It’s easier to laugh sometimes than to wail. There’s usually something amusing in every situation, the darkest especially. I’ve stared at a lot of darkness in my life and the best way to retain control is to find a way to turn it into something light, like laughter. From dark, to light.

4 comments:

Louise Barklam said...

That is definately the Lindsay I know and Love. We wouldn't want you to change for the world.

I also think you could do stand up comedy sometimes!

x

Danielle Rose said...

brilliant post as always, I love your darkside. xx

Anonymous said...

This dark side of yours was one of the reasons I would never look in your direction whenever Paula shared some of her wisdom in our classes.

Great post.

Ash

Christo Heyworth said...

Tx for raising this issue, Lindsay.
As some folks may know I've had two funerals to attend recently: Anne, my late wife on Feb 1st. and Marie, the Mum of our lovely daughter-in-law, Alison Grady, last Tuesday.
What was shared by both was a determination by younger members of the family to ensure that the tinkle of people's laughter characterised both events - laughter in crematorium or church let's everyone know that it is lives which we celebrate and Life goes on - the humorous anecdotes recollecting both splendid women were, I'm sure, appreciated by all, and sweet relief from dour earnestness.
Anne's laughter is among the things I most miss.