written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Friday 13 March 2015

The theme is missing .....

This week the theme is missing. Not "the theme is missing", i.e. absent, but "missing". However, with that play on words, it brought this to mind about how we can wrongly interpret our wonderful language from time to time.


Twisted Language

This week my son proudly announced
that he'd eaten his Nanny's liver.
She'd been babysitting in my absence 
and for a split second it made me quiver,
the thought that my 7 year old
had morphed into Hannibal Lecter,
and instead of a Chianti
he'd have had a Fruit Shoot as his choice of nectar! (Other drinks brands are available)
What diabolical event
could have possibly occurred?
To turn my little angel
into devils' spawn, undeterred
by social niceties, 
he was proud of what he'd achieved!
But of course, it hadn't actually happened.
Poor use of language meant
my brain had been deceived.
For bubbling away in the kitchen
in a lovely gravy rich and thick,
my Mum had prepared ox liver,
slow cooked - never quick!
The aroma had proved too tempting
for my son to resist
and as he's a picky eater,
it was an opportunity not to be missed!
My wonderful Mum had seized upon
this moment to let him try some,
actually thinking he would hate it,
but contrary to the end, he loved it! That's my son!


Thanks for reading! ;-) x

3 comments:

Unknown said...


My Mum will be 95 this year Louise and I still can't get to her to eat her liver! Funny stuff! Well done.

Lady Curt said...

I enjoy play on words, and children are unaware participants of the act ! An enjoyable take... What with my sausages and your liver.... A veritable feast !!

Adele said...

A mix grill of metaphor, misunderstanding and cross-purpose cut chips! I love it.