written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Tuesday 2 January 2018

Resolve - New Horizons


Happy New Year to one and all, let’s see what unfolds in 2018.

When I was younger, much younger and naïve, I looked upon New Year as a new start with everything from the old year forgiven, forgotten and packed away. We wished everyone the best, and still do, always hoping for better times.  Back in the day New Year’s Eve marked the end of a couple of weeks of parties in our pubs. Sometimes my friends and I helped out at a private hotel ran by a family we knew, then joined in with the party until the early hours, looking forward to new beginnings. Fond memories still mentioned forty-odd years later. If only that ‘off with the old, on with the new’ actually worked.

This New Year’s Eve was quiet but pleasant, seeing in the New Year with our daughter, son-in-law to be and our youngest grandson, aged three months. His big brother was in bed. We watched Jools Holland’s Hootenanny and enjoyed a midnight buffet in their warm and cosy lounge then walked back to our house.

Nothing changed with the midnight bells and fireworks. I’m still carrying the illness that has overwhelmed me since before Christmas.  Sore eyes add to my malaise.  My worries and anxieties haven’t miraculously melted away and I’m no closer towards making decisions for the future. What shall I do about work? Do we move or do we stay? I could do with the magic wand I believed existed in my youth. Meanwhile, I wait for recovery and inner strength to help me resolve my issues.

I need a Moody Blues moment.

New Horizons
Well I’ve had dreams enough for one
     And I’ve got love enough for three
     I have my hopes to comfort me
I got my new horizons out to sea. 

But I’m never going to lose your precious gift
It will always be that way
‘Cos I know I’m going to find my own peace of mind
Someday. 

Where is this place that we have found?
Nobody knows where we are bound
I long to hear, I need to see
‘Cos I’ve shed tears too many for me. 

On the wind soaring free
Spread your wings
I’m beginning to see
Out of mind, far from view
Beyond the reach of a nightmare come true. 

Justin Hayward, (from Seventh Sojourn, 1972) 

Thanks for reading, Pam x 

1 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

Happy New Year to you, Pam.

I think you're right - our only 'magic wand' is our inner resolve to stay strong and keep on. Good luck with solving your riddles. x