written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Tuesday 29 May 2018

Appetence - We'll Get What We Need

“You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you’ll find you get what you need…”
from the Jagger & Richards composition, You Can’t Always Get What You Want.

My late father used to say something like that, long before the Rolling Stones immortalised the words of wisdom in their song. He had lots of sayings and witticisms about things that belonged to his generation and his upbringing. He was an original Rusholme Ruffian, very grounded and proud of his roots. He became an engineer and lived in Northenden at the time of meeting my mother and marrying into a family of licencees. He soon joined in. His first pub was in Manchester city centre. He was ambitious enough to want a pub on Blackpool Promenade and made it his goal. Six years later he’d done it and stayed for the rest of his working life. He had focus, desire and appetence. He’d certainly found his niche with his change of career. I’m proud to display his Licensed Trade Diploma on my wall, with photos of most of his pubs.

In my twenties, I wanted lots of children. It was a real yearning to have a large, close family. Obviously, it wasn’t meant to be and how I would have possibly found time to fulfil my ambition to write something meaningful, I can’t imagine. My two arrived in my mid to late thirties. I worked in a school with the under 8s.There was little time to write anything more than a birthday card. Things have improved, slightly.

For a few years, it’s been my wish to relocate to Dumfries and Galloway when we retire. I have to work more years than I wanted because I won’t get a state pension when I expected to. Yes, I’m one of those WASPI women, affected by the government moving the pensionable age criteria at short notice. I’ve just come home from a couple of weeks indulging my longing for Scotland, a holiday on the Isle of Barra then time in D&G. I hope it keeps me going until later in the year.

My family is growing. A fourth grandchild is on the way. I’m a very hands-on Nanna, so in a roundabout way I’m getting something I always wanted.

I thank my dad for genetically passing on his patience and tenacity, for always encouraging my writing and for showing me the difference between what we want and what we need.

The Rolling Stones have been doing a UK tour while I’ve been away. It would have been great to see them. Instead, I’ll play their music and look forward to catching up with a friend who went to one of their London concerts.


The photo is of our holiday cottage in Barra.

The poem is one of mine from long ago, but it means the same.
 
The Lowlands
 
Take me back to the coast of Ballentrae,
And a breath-taking view of Ailsa Craig
Half hidden by mist on a rainy day,
Grey shape against dull sky, outline so vague.

It’s restful at Robert Burns place of birth
And Autumn quiet on the Ayrshire beach.
A cloudy sunset calms the Solway Firth
And all of the Lowlands is in my reach.

I close my eyes and think of Galloway,
Afternoon tea at a street side café
A chilly breeze coming over the bay
At the end of another perfect day. 

I will return to this place of my dreams,
My love of the forest and rolling hills
Where all is real and just as it seems,
In peace and tranquillity, my soul stills.
 
PMW 2013
 
 
Thanks for reading, Pam x 

1 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

I'm sure you will get your wish. You have the tenacity.