written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Thursday 18 October 2018

Loneliness - A very British affliction

Hundreds of thousands of elderly people are lonely and cut off from society in this country, especially those over the age of 75. 

According to age UK, more than 2 million people in England over the age of 75 live alone and more than a million older people say that they can go for over a month without speaking to a friend, neighbour or family member.

People can become socially isolated for a variety of reasons, such as getting older and weaker, no longer being the hub of their family, leaving the workplace, the death of spouses and friends or though disability or illness.

I am the youngest of four children and the only one who lived within easy reach of my parents as they aged. My siblings all relocated through work and when my father died, it was left to me to fill his shoes and ensure that mum didn't become socially isolated. She had never learnt to drive and although she still had a few friends locally, she didn't fell confident at first to go out alone.

It wasn't until her eyesight failed in her late nineties, a problem which when combined with her deafness left her unable to see the television screen or make sense of the programmes, that mum began to express her loneliness. The TV had kept her company through the hours of darkness for twenty years. Now she sat alone - in silence.

Yesterday I was watching The Daily Politics show: They were discussing government plans to withdraw free TV licences for the over 75s.Apparently, former Chancellor George Osborne snuck that money saving plan under the radar. It is a ludicrous idea. Surely it would be better to means test households and allow the poorest and most isolated in our populace to have a free licence. Surely a free licence is far more cost effective that treatment for depression or admission to a nursing home.

How strange that the same government that wants to strip the elderly of company and entertainment has recently appointed a Minister for Loneliness.  I wonder whether the role of such an office is to work out how to rid society of the lonely rather than to solve the problem of loneliness. I dread to think. For many older people, the characters in soap operas are their friends - programmes like Strictly come Dancing are their Saturday night treats - the news programmes are their only contact with the outside world. It would simply be wrong to deny the elderly such important social contact.




Loneliness

I never thought it could be so hard, 
I never thought it could would hurt so much, 
I never thought I could cry inside.

I never thought I would your miss your smile
or the tenderness in your eyes, 
I never thought you would leave me, 
I thought you were mine. 

I miss our weekly shopping trips, 
I miss the things we shared, 
I miss our meals together, 
I miss brushing your hair. 

I miss the sound of your laughter,
I miss the touch of your hand, 
I miss all the love that you gave me, 
You would always understand.

I never thought I could feel so lonely, 
I never thought it could be so hard, 
I never thought you would leave me,
I never thought you would die.

Thanks for reading. Adele  

7 comments:

Jill Reidy Red Snapper Photography said...

Lovely, Adele, and very moving xx

Steve Rowland said...

An excellent blog Adele. Is the government cynical or incompetent? Probably a bit of both. Radio and latterly television are what has allowed everyone in isolation to be connected to the pulse of the nation/society and any government decision that makes it harder for older people on low incomes to maintain that lifeline is not only a false economy it is also frankly a disgrace.

Your mum was very lucky to have you; (and yes, I know it worked the other was round as well). Your poem is beautifully expressed and most affecting. Becoming an orphan at any age is painful.

I'm not sure loneliness is a specifically British affliction - but that's another debate.

Anonymous said...

Awww. Sad and moving.

Anonymous said...

Agree with others, a lovely blog Adele.

Anonymous said...

heartbreaking

Hodan said...

Heart breaking story Adele, yet some amazing memories too, your mother was a very lucky woman to have you in her life. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

A very moving poem.