written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 9 February 2019

Candles

I always believed that 'burning the candle at both ends' originated as a figurative expression of overwork, dating from a pre-electric age; i.e. referring to an undertaking started early (before dawn) and continued until late (well after dusk) and therefore requiring candlelight at both ends of the day.

It seems an entirely logical explanation, with the commonly accepted inference that such behaviour (if continued for any length of time) is not the cornerstone of a healthy life-style. However, I've been doing a bit of research and it appears there are those who would argue the merits of a more literal origin for the phrase...

Really? I don't think so!
... but it begs the question: why would you? If you want double the light, just use two (or more) candles; or if you only have the one, cut it in half why don't you?

Lighting a candle at both ends requires either: holding it in the middle with one hand - which surely defeats most purposes I can imagine, or necessitates balancing it precariously in horizontal mode on some object - in such a way that it won't just roll off and go out or worse, start a fire.

In each of these literal 'burning the candle at both ends' scenarios, the mere fact that it is horizontal means that it burns down much faster  - as the wax falls directly away exposing more wick more quickly, rather than forming a retarding pool round said wick. Result? Double the light for a shorter time and one hell of a waxy mess, if not burned fingers into the bargain. Really? I don't think so!

However, if it's neither about extremely long working hours nor a phrase to be taken literally (just too silly), then 'burning the candle at both ends' has to be a metaphor for excessive behaviour, with its connotations of unsustainable, thrill-seeking recklessness, intense but ultimately destructive pleasure or whatever other all-consuming activity one cares to imagine (and I'm just illustrating here, not passing a value judgement).

There you have three options, (a), (b) and (c) respectively. I've had to resort to the figurative (a) on many (short-lived) occasions in student and working life when completing assignments and projects to immovable deadlines. I've indulged briefly in the metaphorical (c) at different times down the decades but I'm not going to elaborate (so use your imaginations). I have never been remotely tempted by the literal (b) option. How about you? If this were an exam paper, here is where it would say: Discuss. (You may choose to do so by appending a comment to the blog, anonymous or otherwise, if you wish.)

The unbeliever and I recently enjoyed a few days and nights away at Beech Hill House on the shore of beautiful Lake Windermere, in celebration of both of our birthdays. (It's too soon to swap life in the fast lane for life in the bus lane!) I mention this only because Beech Hill House possesses one of the finest Venetian chandeliers I have ever seen. My photograph below doesn't do it justice.

Exquisite beauty...
Of course the twelve (apostolic) candles are electric nowadays but that modern twist does little to detract from the magic - the sheer elegance of the gilt branched design festooned with all manner of coloured Murano glass fruits. It glitters and seduces like a suspended Aladdin's cave. For a lover of glass, the Beech Hill House chandelier is simply stunning to look at in sunlight or candlelight...and one day might merit a poem, but today is not that day.

The birthday break is over, I'm older but none the wiser and blogging duties recommence. I hope you've enjoyed these fresh ramblings about candles. The topic has cropped up a few times over the years, so it's quite a challenge to discover a fresh angle.

I'll finish up by offering you in advance of St. Valentine's Day this little poem on the nature of love (with the usual dash of Greek mythology stirred in), as it's also relevant to the week's theme.

Of Aphrodite & Hephaistos
She, the combustible essence
Of sulphurous love;
He, the renowned artificer,
Bearing up steadfast and dutiful.

We owe to the married Gods
This union of pale wax column
And burnished copper cup,
Forged with great passion
And lit by a match made in heaven
To brighten dark, earthly hearts.

The votive tallow in its holder
Flickers to a flame,
Allows our shallow lives
To sparkle and flare,
Rendered briefly bolder,
Amorous, shading into beautiful.

Thus it enriches
Even as it disappears,
(For passion cannot last)
In ribbons of smoke
And molten tears.

Thanks for reading. Stay happy, Steve ;-)

15 comments:

CI66Y said...

Ha ha, a most entertaining blog and another beautiful poem. You like your Greeks, don't you. Mark me down for a lot of a and my share of c. I agree that b is utter nonsense ;-D

Boz said...

Good blog. Here's the votes of the New Brighton jury. A - a few points, B - no points, C - loadsa points (LOL).

Anonymous said...

I'm with you in thinking it means working from early to late. I love your poem and that chandelier looks incredible.

Tom Shaw said...

Another great blog Steve. I agree about (a) and the modern-day equivalent in my experience is the 'studio tan' if you know what that is.

Anonymous said...

I love this - great writing.

Matt West said...

Will Oyston get burned at both ends tomorrow? Hope so!

Rochelle said...

(a) every time for me (sadly) - sometimes by actual candle-light too. I always enjoy your blogs and think the latest poem is a fine thing.

Carolyn Scott said...

Loved the chandelier! Thank you for posting the photo. I have lots of glass fruit brought back from Murano. Sits in a plain glass dish catching the sunlight.

Heather said...


Interesting blog Steve.
Really enjoyed the poem too although I am not a Valentines fan.


Kit McGrath said...

That's a really lovely poem Steve.

Anonymous said...

Put me down as (a) too. This was fun and your poem is great. you have such a way with words.

Deke Hughes said...

It's an (a) from me Steve. I like the imagery in your A&H poem.

Anonymous said...

Loved the blog, enjoyed the poem and thought the chandelier looks great. All good. As for that candle, I'd light it in the middle (LOL).

MoonGoddess said...

A wonderful poem! One to reflect on when using the everyday tealight. That chandelier deserves a visit. It's a vote for a) combined with c) from me.

Anonymous said...

I'll go for A on this one. I really enjoyed your poem - very good.