written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Sunday 14 April 2019

Spring Fling

Spring has sprung (sort of). It’s still freezing here in St Anne’s! Hopefully warmer days are coming.

This poem was inspired by a young women who I watched on YouTube who described that falling in love felt like a flower was growing in her chest. I think this is an incredibly beautiful and poetic image as being in love makes you grow as a person.

I’m not a girly girl, but I do adore flowers as they colour the world and they remind me that life is wonderful. Even if you feel left in the dirt, you can grow and achieve anything.

Though I must admit that I definitely do not have green fingers!


Flowers

I feel like there's flowers growing in my chest,
There’s a spring in my step 
You push away the autumn leaves.
The dust.
The dirt. 
So I can finally
breathe.
Your warmth radiates 
And hydrates my dandelion lungs.
Spring has just begun
And soon our summer of heat 
Will commence.
Don’t build a fence 
Around my hyacinth heart .
Let my love grow
Freely and unruly, 
And we will see how it goes,
You never know how long it takes for a flower to grow.

Helena Ascough x


5 comments:

Lady Curt said...

A lovely thought..

Will Mckechnie said...

Flowers by Helena Ascough
Beautiful

Steve Rowland said...

Well done Helena. Short, sweet and sustaining (like an April shower)- fine sentiments and some lovely imagery. It's good to have you blogging again.

Anonymous said...

A lovely poem.

Rochelle said...

I really like your poem Helena and the illustration is beautiful too.