written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 15 June 2019

Moon In June Too

What a happy few days in the jewel of the north, at least for those of a tangerine persuasion! Passion combined with principle wins out in the end.

I refer, of course, to the announcement from the Receiver on Thursday that Simon Sadler (a Blackpool-born multi-millionaire and confirmed Seasider) has acquired a 96.2% stake in Blackpool FC (the other 3.8% being held, historically, by a raft of over a hundred small investors). When a wealthy lifelong Blackpool fan buys your club and says it's a privilege to become not just its owner but its custodian, then all the signs are that we can look forward to better days at Bloomfield Road.

With the arrival of Mr Sadler, the spectre of any Oyston involvement is banished for good after 30 years of hurt - and now the rebuilding process can move on apace. I am confident that our new owner will prove to be that ethical custodian of the club we have been hoping for. All I would add is that it would be fitting if Valeri Belokon could be offered some titular position - honorary Club President for instance - in recognition of his original investment and drive to promote the club and his principled action in pursuing the Oystons through the courts to achieve by civil means what the football authorities should have accomplished years ago if their duty to ensure proper governance in English football had been discharged effectively.

There was another (less momentous) announcement from the club on the same day, revealing that I, your Saturday blogger, have been appointed as the first dedicated Supporters' Liaison Officer at Blackpool FC. As unpaid dream jobs go, I couldn't have asked for better than this daunting but incredibly exciting position at the football club I love. It's a good thing I'm retired! This isn't the place to go into details (I don't want to bore the pants off my readers) but I think the SLO plays a vital role (regardless of who does it) in any well-run football club and I will give it my very best endeavours. Wish me luck.

Tangerine Moon - 13th June
I wasn't quite sure how I would approach the week's  Moon In June  theme, but I suppose the intent was to get our band of Dead Good Bloggers reflecting on the role of rhyme in poetry. You will have gathered from reading the poems I've posted here over the years, or have maybe heard me read aloud (if you frequent poetry gigs), that I'm not a big fan of regular metre or very prescribed poetic structures. There are exceptions. I quite like the sonnet form in particular and the villanelle (and have written quite a few in each mode). There is an element of technical challenge involved that, for me, elevates them above the rhyming couplet and even terza rima.

I hope that doesn't sound dismissive of regular verse, the iambic pentameter et al; it is just personal preference. There are patently many excellent poets and poems employing regular metre, poetry which touches the reader by force of the language used and the emotions or ideas expressed.

Conversely, I don't necessarily embrace everything set out in free-form. I have been giving it a bit of serious thought with the current theme in mind... how for instance would I classify a typical poem of my own (excluding those ballads, odes, pantoums, sonnets et cetera)? If I had to pick a label, I would probably go for contemporary lyricism, by which I mean a flowing structure which doesn't have a fixed rhyme scheme or meter but is free verse albeit with a rhythmic flow, employing a combination of mutating meter (line length and stress) and occasional rhymes (internal and end) plus a lot of assonance to achieve an organic effect. (Heck, time out in Pseuds' Corner beckons!)

As a bit of light relief, I've fettled up a deliberately humorous poem today, poking gentle fun at all the rhyming Simons and Ursulas of verse. I love you really.  As a concept, it reflects the age-old timbre of street campaigns, seen recently in everything from Brexit through Global Warming to the dreaded Trumpkin; in content it delivers in full on today's topic.  Let's call it a timely protest by the Rhymesters' Union ;-) I hope you like it...

Ursula of Verse :-)
Rhymesters' Union Rant!

Protesting rhymesters
Raise the chant:

What do we want?
The moon in June!

Rhyming protestors
Rant in cant:

And when do we want it?
Any time soon!

What do we want? The moon in June!
And when do we want it? Any time soon!

The moon in June, the moon in June.
Any time soon, yes any time soon.

The timing, protesters,
Could not have been cuter,
But as for the rhyming -
The less said the better!

Thanks for reading, y'all. S ;-)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wicked! :)

Boz said...

Made up for you Steve - sound appointment! Leave time for contemporary lyricism though la, life balance and all.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting your club back and on your new role. Sounds awesome. Your poem amused me. Great graphics by the way.

Tony Wilkinson said...

Congratulations Steve it is a major step forward that Blackpool FC have appointed a SLO but the appointment of someone so befitting as yourself is very good news. Best wishes with your new role.

Anonymous said...

I know nothing about football but it all sounds good to me. Well done and good luck. As for the poem, droll.

CI66Y said...

Great news that you've got a Blackpool native as new owner as opposed to some remote consortium. I hope it works out. I know you'll put everything into making your SLO appointment a success. Contemporary lyricism sounds as good a label as any for the sort of poetry you write best (if I can put it like that Steve - and I'm thinking among recent examples of your wonderful Greek Idyll poem, your Russian Cosmonaut poem and the one from the other week, White Punks On Dope). Anyway, you've forged something of a distinctive style and surely you must have enough really good poems to put a collection together? Everyone else and his/her muse appear to be doing so. Crack on, I say.

Bill Parry said...

Sparkling effort, FFC, though my favourite moon-in-June lyric is still that deathless second verse of 'Kitsch', for which we are forever indebted to Paul Ryan. Congrats on the BFC position, too!

Harry Lennon said...

Very good Steve. I'm with you on your take on rhyming poetry, can be a bit facile/twee if the form lords it over the content. I like your amusing Rhymesters' Rant - clever and not a "throwaway comic poem" as you labeled it. Good blog, and well done on your SLO position.

Deke Hughes said...

Another excellent read, Steve; intelligent and humorous as ever. Congratulations on your new SLO role. I hope Saturdays won't be too overloaded with footie and poetry commitments. Keep the blogs coming!

Matt West said...

Good shout out for Valeri Belokon there bud.

Anonymous said...

Cute timing for rhyming, as you say 😊

Jambo said...

Funny man!

Anonymous said...

Struggle


Don't move , stay still
Freeze your heart and very hold your breath until
You remain silent and you cant fulfil
the predators deep wishes
His happy pill.

So keep struggling
and moving
and see how
you predator keeps loving
Your last final movement
its his eye candy and dark soul food
So carry on wiggling
Grant him his fantastic wishes
because you have no fucking clue.

keep still.. be silent
Shhhh , that's it...
Quiet

Words by Paul Watson
my contribution

Steve Rowland said...

Hi Paul. Thanks for that - very gratifying to have a poem posted in response to the blog. Thanks for sharing.