written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 7 September 2019

Mouth

It's a funny word, mouth. Of course, any word can start to look strange if you scrutinise it for long enough, roll it round and pronounce it over and again. But just look at mouth for a second. Try saying it out loud a few times to yourself (making sure first of all that no one is near by): m-o-u-t-h... m-o-u-t-h... m-o-u-t-h. Okay, that will do. Mouth in all its strangeness and charm.


I'm told that when a primate embryo begins to form, the first easily identifiable components are the mouth, the anus and the alimentary canal that runs between them (input, process and output of the magical soft machine). The rest is added functionality.

Of course, mouths are more than inputs - for fresh air, water, food et cetera. They are outputs as well - for stale air, speech and song. I know there is a class of mankind (that's a non-gender-specific use of the term, by the way) that is reputed to talk out of the other end of the alimentary canal - they are called politicians!

Mouths, good for chewing, kissing, chanting and ranting. I'm off to Wigan shortly to celebrate its most famous son, Gerrard Winstanley, leader of the Diggers - whose festival it is today. I'm looking forward to hearing the poet Attila the Stockbroker ranting from the main stage and may even stuff my mouth with one of Wigan's famous pies. Pray the sun keeps shining and come on you Seasiders (who I shall miss, today).

I've actually been busy this week writing a chapter about the fall of the House of Oyston for a book a friend is putting together (you'll have to wait and see), so I've not had time to concoct a new poem. I have an idea for one, Alpha And Omega (based on the alimentary/spouting concepts mentioned above), but it will take time to emerge - so it's nil by mouth from me this week.


However, I was at a poetry night a while back and someone read out the lyrics of Joni Mitchell's song Hejira from her wonderful album of the same name, making the justifiable claim that what Joni wrote was poetry put to music. I couldn't disagree. It gave me the idea that I might share some of the lyrics of one of my favourite bands of the last thirty years with you - Trip Shakespeare, the finest combo that Minneapolis ever spawned. This, because it's on theme, is from their 1991 magnum opus Lulu. Enjoy.

Your Mouth (Is My Apartment In The Evening)
Back down to the work again
It's no place for a living man
I ride around on the ice-cream bicycle
Dreamsicle in my hand
Once over the park again
I sing bombpop'll do you well
I wait for day to be night again
Ringin' that foolish bell
Your mouth is my apartment
In the evening
And I sleep in a ruby dark bed

Back down in the dust again
I see a vision that I cannot stand
Another vendor on a bicycle bender
Lollipops in his hand
Once over the park again
I sing bombpop'll do you well
I wait for day to be night again
Ringin' that foolish bell
Your mouth is my apartment
In the evening
And I sleep in a ruby dark bed

And I work in the flames
(No love shines down)
But if your lips would invite me
(To come around)
I would fly like a starling
From the mountain face
To your world and a resting place

Your mouth is my apartment
In the evening
And I sleep in a ruby dark bed
Your mind is like a spaceship
That the angels might fly
And I ride any place in your head
Any place in your head.

                                             Matt Wilson, 1991

As a bonus, do listen to the wonderful Trip Shakespeare here by clicking on the song title: Your Mouth

Thanks for reading. Rock out for freedom and a second referendum, S ;-)

18 comments:

Stu Hodges said...

Mmmm. Hope you're having a grand day out in Wigan. The forecast looked kind. I'm not sure Your Mouth reads well as poetry but I really like how Trip Shakespeare perform the song. They're a gas and I want to hear more.

Anonymous said...

XXX ๐Ÿ‘

Rochelle said...

My husband asked me why I was saying mouth, mouth, mouth over again to my computer! So I showed him your blog and we listened to Trip Shakepeare. A bit far out for our liking - "wigged out music" he called it. LOL.

Carey Jones said...

So that is definitely a song and not a poem in my opinion. I like the sound of Trip Shakespeare but those lyrics are from a lower league than Joni Mitchell's.

Nigella D said...

I love the phrase 'magical soft machine'. So we all are. ❤️

Anonymous said...

A pleasure to read as always, Steve. Thanks for the introduction to Trip Shakespeare - Lulu duly ordered just now.

Deke Hughes said...

Did you visit the pier???

Tom Shaw said...

Hi Steve. I'm gratified that you mentioned song in your blog, being as it's what I use my mouth for most, yep even more than eating and kissing. Also great that you've given some exposure to the brilliant Trip Shakespeare. Did you kmow that they reformed briefly a few years back for an end-of-year show? I think John Munson contrived it - one of my all-time favorite bass players. Anyway, cool blog man. Take care.

Celia M said...

I like "Your mind is like a spaceship/That the angels might fly" :)

LG said...

This was fun to read (and listen to). Thank you. Keep the blogs coming.๐Ÿ‘„

Anonymous said...

Steve, I thoroughly enjoy your blogs - in all their strangeness and charm (unquote); disappointed there wasn't a new poem but I understand these things cannot be conjured at a whim.

Boz said...

You running out of steam, la?

Steve Rowland said...

I'll readily concede Your Mouth is more song lyric than poem (and the Trips have written more poetical lyrics - they just didn't fit the theme) but it is a cracking song for all that and has some interesting ideas/imagery. I'm not ashamed to reveal that I wrote some pretty poor (and frankly embarrassing) poems as a callow fifteen year old to my then girlfriend with lines such as 'My tongue is like a fiery dragon'.... I ask you!

I will get around to writing Alpha And Omega - I'm just remaining tight-lipped about when :-)

CI66Y said...

Pucker up Steve. In your own time, mate.

Anonymous said...

Fun ๐Ÿ‘„๐Ÿ‘„๐Ÿ‘„

Anonymous said...

Funny blog. ๐Ÿ‘

Arial Berkowitz said...

Thanks for the tip regarding Trip Shakespeare - good find.

Dan Francisco said...

They were a top band, Trip Shakespeare.