written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 18 January 2020

A Blues Blog...

...has to be primarily about music, doesn't it? You know, songs steeped in the pain of the human condition, wrenched from guitars and the suffering of the singer's soul - borne out of Africa on slave ships, honed by centuries of hardship on the plantations of the Americas, given back to the world in the 20th century from the crucible of the Mississippi Delta and the slums of Chicago courtesy of the Recording Angel. It's a complex subject and I must apologise upfront to any blues purists for the somewhat reductionist approach as I try and keep the appeal as broad as possible.

Of course the first impact of  'the blues' on us music-hungry teenagers in the UK in the mid-'60s came via the filter of white musicians (John Mayall, Rolling Stones, Fred Neil, Chicken Shack, Fleetwood Mac, Savoy Brown, Steve Miller Band...not an exhaustive list by any means), players who championed and were influenced by the sounds of black America's bluesmen. From there, some of us reached back to the originals - Albert King, BB King, Elmore James, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Lightnin' Hopkins, Rev. Gary Davis, Robert Johnson, Son House and Muddy Waters.

I don't think many of us realised, or at least not for many years, that the blues music we were grooving to - whether it was played by white or black musicians, American or British - not only had its roots in West Africa but continues to be made there by a stellar bunch of Malians, Mauretanians, Moroccans, Senegalese, Sierra Leoneans: check out (if you're so inclined) the works of Baaba Maal, Boubacar Traore, Majid Bekkar, Mansour Seck, Tinariwen or the master of them all, Ali Farka Toure - king of the desert blues.

Ali Farka Toure - king of the desert blues
Yes, it all began in West Africa and strangely enough, the first musical instrument I ever possessed, aged four or five, was made for me by a kindly and ingenious Yoruba tribesman in the Nigerian village where I grew up as a boy. That instrument was fashioned out of a large sardine tin of which the partly-peeled lid had been cut into strips of varying lengths, so each strip could be twanged to produce different notes, the body of the tin serving as the sound chamber. I was delighted with it. My mother broke out her accordion and our 'house boy' would thump away on a goatskin drum while I played lead sardine tin - my first blues band!

Further down the line I learned to play piano (under duress - I was Grade II listed); and then I gravitated like so many others to guitar, first six-string and then bass - the latter in a band that also enjoyed playing the blues...

Woke up this morning...
I've just finished reading a biography of Fred Neil, one of my musical heroes (and coincidentally the man who wrote 'Everybody's Talkin'  which became a big hit for Harry Nilsson when it featured in the movie Midnight Cowboy ). Fred Neil was an accomplished 12-string guitar player with an ear for the blues and a wonderful baritone voice. He was a stalwart of the emerging post-war coffeehouse folk/blues scene in New York's Greenwich Village in the early 1960s, a hand-to-mouth existence that spawned the likes of Karen Dalton, Tim Hardin, John Sebastian (later of Lovin' Spoonful fame) and one Robert Zimmerman, who didn't do too badly for himself.

While I've been reading the book, I also listened to lots of those early albums by Karen Dalton, Tim Hardin and the mighty Fred Neil himself; and so as a musical bonus this week I've linked in a version of Karen Dalton playing and singing Fred Neil's 'Little Bit Of Rain'.  Dig it.

Before that though, a new poem-in-progress. Usually I only decide what to call a piece once I've written it - but in this case the title came first and the poetry has to evoke and live up to the billing. It's partly a reflection on that folk/blues music scene I've been reading about and partly an expression of concern at the current state of play down at Bloomfield Road where the Seasiders have recorded three draws, five defeats and no wins in their last eight games as they struggle to find their mojo - searching for that metaphorical sunshine state. I hope it works on both levels.

Green Tangerine Blues
With the long war won,
we reclaimed our own,
albeit run into the ground;
sang anthems in exuberance
at being home and in the zone.
At least the healing had begun.

Rejuvenation though,
that will take some time,
months one would imagine.
So much to put to rights.
Greedy though we are
to taste success
after those barren years,
it doesn't happen overnight,
not in the real world.

Frustrating as it is,
this halting progress
towards our dreams,
when schemes occasionally
go awry, it's vital
that we find the right way
to play together, build
a whole community afresh,
create momentum,
fashion a formidable group,
recoup the scene as was
before it all went horribly wrong.

Too much is new still, green,
unproven, far from ready;
a slightly sour
but not unpalatable truth.

What's required is patience,
some degree of latitude,
and our unwavering belief
this fruit will ripen
and find favour with us all;
another season in the sun
after pouring rain,
a harvest to savour,
new sonorous refrains.
It will come to pass...
just play on.

To listen to Karen Dalton singing Fred Neil's song just click here >>> Little Bit Of Rain

After listening to that, put on your red shoes and dance the blues, S ;-)

32 comments:

Matt West said...

So you're happy with Simon Grayson? (Good poem though pal) UTMP!

Kenny Garcia said...

Great blog. I've always loved Fred Neil; never heard Karen Dalton before - that's an amazing version of Little Bit Of Rain!!! Lead sardine tin made me smile too. Keep them coming :)

Peter Breslin said...

Thank you Steve, I played gob iron in a blues band back in the early nineties, trying to tease myself into playing once again. Your article is interesting, I’m gonna check Ali Farka the king of desert blues. Keep on trucking!

Rochelle said...

I don't know much about blues music and even less about football but I absolutely love the poem. Well done :)

K. Worth said...

Thanks Steve. I enjoyed this. Everyone of your blogs is an eduction.

Bruce Paley said...

I loved the blog, so much for me to catch up on there plus Karen Dalton - what an amazing voice, a bit like Billie Holiday. I couldn't comment on the football issues but I took the poem at face value and enjoyed it.

Steve Rowland said...

Matt, I'm sure SG has been told that performances and results have to improve based on the players that have been brought in during the transfer window (with still a week to go). Up until now - a bit like my latest poem I think - the idea has been better than the execution. You can't win them all... but you need to win some of them!!!

Nigella D said...

Don't self-deprecate. Let others judge. I liked the poem. 👍

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Fascinating insights.

Anonymous said...

Very good Mr R (though why do you look so serious?)

CI66Y said...

Nice one Steve. Good to see Pooneil getting a bit of respect.

2-2-Tango said...

Great poem. Exactly so, what's required is patience.

Anonymous said...

Another fine blog that.

Jenks said...

Really hope the new signings can switch us back on buddy.

otyikondo said...

Lovely to hear Karen's voice, Steve. Ashamed to say I only caught up with her in 2006, in an online spin-off from Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour, and I suppose also in Chronicles, where he name-checks her most positively. My current fave banjo-playing lady with a sweet voice is Rhiannon Giddens. She was Guest Curator at the 2018 Cambridge Folk Festival, and I'm still kicking myself for not making the trip over to catch her. Those who went said it was life-affirming stuff.

Best of luck with the rest of the season...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVrTf5yOW5s

Bonus track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pg2lt8PmTA

Mitch Carragher said...

Many thanks for this 'blues primer' of a blog, beautifully written as ever. I'm not familiar with Fred Neil or Karen Dalton, no,r have I ever heard anything by those West African musicians you listed but I aim to put that right because if it's as good as that stunning Karen Dalton track then happy days lie ahead. As for the poem, I don't know the background in any detail but I thought it read well :)

Rod Downey said...

Clever title, Green Tangerine Blues, and nowt wrong with the poem as far as I could tell. I'm not a Blackpool fan but I 'get it' and I hope the situation improves there.

Bickerstaffe said...

Very good blogging & Karen Dalton, wow what a voice!

Ben Templeton said...

A most informative and enjoyable read - good for my musical education. I like the studied bassman pose! Enjoyed the poetry too.

Tangerinehead said...

Well said our SLO! That's a great poem. Keep the faith and Up The Mighty Pool!

Carey Jones said...

Excellent as usual Steve. Thanks for sharing.

AlwaysSeaside said...

Oh dear. Pool woeful last night. That's a great poem and I just hope your right.

Steve Rowland said...

Time to start fingering the tangerine worry beads!

Dani Merakli said...

Are you still playing in a band Steve?

Jambo said...

Imagine you plunking a little funk on a sardine can! Seriously good plug for the blues - well done man :)

Anonymous said...

What a great blog. I enjoyed the poem and as for Karen Dalton, wow!

Tom Shaw said...

I must admit I'm not up on the west African music scene (only Fela Kuti but that was a few years back). Our American blues musicians have been a huge influence, naturally. Albert King's Born Under A Bad Sign still one of my most played LPs (CD as well nowadays). Without those guys none of us would be rock & rollers! Eternal gratitude.

Andy Millard said...

Green Tangerine Blues - very clever title and a great poem. I travelled to Oxford for the game yesterday. Another defeat but some glimmers of hope. As you say, rejuvenation will take some time... and it may even get worse before it gets better. Southend at home on Saturday is now massive. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Well let's hope the power of poetry works to our advantage on Saturday - must win first home league game of the year!

Beth Randle said...

Beautifully expressed as ever. Thank you. 👍

Mikey Nichols said...

Just seen your Green Tangerine Blues poem is printed in the latest edition of Now That's What I Call Progress - class that. 👍

Anonymous said...

So well written. Just that opening paragraph alone is worth the price of admission (so to speak).