written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 1 August 2020

Re Collections

I've reached a difficult decision this week - not to go to Greece for a summer holiday (the first miss in years). It's been a tough call, because the temptation to go is huge.

It's not that Greece isn't a safe place. Compared to the UK's 304,000 cases and 46,000 deaths (both conservative figures as we know), Greece had only just over 4,000 cases and 206 deaths - yes, that few, you didn't read it wrong.

More people have died of coronavirus in Blackpool & the Fylde than in the whole of Greece, so I'd feel perfectly safe if I were on some sun-drenched Aegean island right now. The issues are more to do with travelling, the unpredictability of airlines and flights, doubts over the validity of holiday insurance. On balance, it seems wisest to stay in the jewel of the north this summer, to stock up on retsina, work my way through some Greek recipe books and hope we get a decent run of weather this August and September.

You may wonder what all of that has to do with collections and it's simply this, I've been 'collecting' Greek destinations for over forty years. It's the country I've visited more widely and more often than any other. I nearly retired to live there; it's almost a spiritual home. From each place I've visited I've brought back not only the happiest of memories and abundant photographs but also local pottery, just one of the things I collect.

Pottery from Crete and Paros and Rhodes
Strangely enough, I've also got a collection of hand-blown Finnish glassware, though I've never been to Finland. Less unusual, if you know my musical tastes, is my collection of West Coast concert posters from the psychedelic sixties, but then I have been to San Francisco on several occasion in reality, and many more times in my mind.

Where did it all start, this collecting lark? With stamps probably, as a boy; and those picture card series of birds and flowers and footballers that one could collect in packets of PG and Ty-phoo tea... all gone many decades since.

Of course, as you'd expect, I have other, more mainstream collections, of books and records, CDs and DVDs, football programmes and music magazines. I've even got an anorak.

I've made one other decision this week. From time to time readers of the blog have commented asking if I've published a book of poetry. No I haven't, not even a pamphlet, just occasional pieces in anthologies. So instead of a Greek holiday this year I'm going to fund publication of a selection of my poems, my first collection if you like - though there won't necessarily be a second one! There, I've said it, a declaration of intent, so I've got to do it.

I've not written a poem for this blog, but I'm working on a Rhapsody, ῥαψῳδός  (rhapsodos) in Greek, meaning the stitching of a lyric together - based on lines and ideas I've been collecting in my notebooks for a while. Instead, I'll sign off today with this photograph. Missing you!

Temple ruins on beautiful Kos
Thanks very much for reading. Have a good week and if you're a collector, happy collecting. S ;-)

27 comments:

Rod Downey said...

A tough call Steve. I bet if you had that Greek cottage you would go! Still, good news about the poetry collection. I look forward to that.

Nigella D said...

There's no way we're going anywhere this year, it's just too risky. Look at all the chaos around people going to Spain. Stay safe Steve. Greece will still be there next year and there might be a vaccine by then.

Anonymous said...

:-(

Hikka Kinnunen said...

Hey Steve. Also I and my friend decided not to go to Parga in this summer. It's sad but wise. Take care of yourself and of all your beloved people.

Jean McDonald said...

Great blog. 🌿

Rochelle said...

It's ironic isn't it that for most of lockdown (April through to June) the weather was fabulous and we had to enjoy it from indoors and now we can go out its patchy at best. We had long-made plans to go to Madeira this summer! I'm very pleaesed to read you're pulling a volume of your poems together at last. Your blogs have been some of the most enjoyable things I've read for quite some time now.

Peter Fountain said...

Yes it's being a shit year in so many respects - but at least you're turning disappointment into opportunity and for that I applaud you. (Nice pots, by the way.)

Ruth Maxwell said...

I feel for you. If I had the wherewithal to get away this dreary, wet summer, you bet I would. I'm wondering if I'll ever go abroad again. My passport expires in October and I don't know whether to renew it or not.

Luke Taylor said...

The thought of a week or so on a Greek island is very appealing right now, but you've probably made a sensible decision not to go. I think it's wishful thinking that we're going to have a good August/September - long range forecast is not great.

Jon Cromwell said...

Sorry about your Greek (non) holiday but very much looking forward to your poetry collection Steve. Good luck with that.

Billy Banter said...

Collecting things is a form of illness :)

Ben Templeton said...

I remember those Ty.Phoo card collections. My favourite series was Transport through the Ages. Your idea for a Greek Week at home is a good one - you just need the weather!

Jambo said...

I've got 5 anoraks but I don't collect anything (LOL)! Good news about your poetry collection.👍

Charlotte Mullins said...

It's heart-breaking, isn't it. Especially as it's probably quite safe in Greece and I'm sure they need the tourism trade to help them get by. Wise to give it a miss this year though and a great idea by way of compensation.

Deke Hughes said...

Good news about the poetry collection.

Boz said...

Just pack a bag and go, la. Better there than here!

Will said...

Sorry to hear you decided to cancel Greece - doubly galling since you are far far more likely to get sick on your own doorstep, what with the way the pandemic’s been handled in the UK. I have to make much the same call re Spain and October. The numbers ARE spiking there, but not in Andalucia, where the incidence of new cases is actually lower per 100,000 than in Helsinki. Things are complicated, as we have some of our gear in storage at our landlady’s place in Estepona, and a bit more complicated still, as our daughter is expecting her second child (late September) and Päivi the Wife-Unit feels she ought to be around to do the grandmotherly thing. I recognise my limitations in that department and feel I would be more use on the golf course. But if Finland starts introducing mandatory quarantines and if Spain goes back into some sort of lockdown, I’m not sure it will be that much fun down there - even compared with the unappetising thought of Finland in November. We shall see.

Hand blown glass? Probably Iittala, unless you are talking vintage stuff (Nuutajärvi, Karhula, Humppila, etc). We have some Wirkkala and Aalto pieces and a few of Toikka’s birds, and of course most of the glassware is Iittala in nearly all households up here.

Keep the blogs coming. I enjoy them

Mac Southey said...

It looks as though at least something lasting will come out of your stay-at-home summer. I look forward to that. Anyway, chances of Greece not allowing Brits to visit is growing by the day. Safest (?) at home.

Angela McG said...

Brilliant idea Steve, go for it, I look forward to reading it. x

Stu Hodges said...

In so many ways this will be a year to forget, annus coronavirus; but if you get a book of poems published that's a small win. Fingers crossed for the enterprise.

Anonymous said...

Such deep blue sky - no wonder you're missing it.

Miriam Fife said...

Have you thought about sending a selection to a publisher rather than DIY? I'm sure they are good enough.

Bickerstaffe said...

I heard today that Croatia and Greece are seeing significant increases in Covid-19 cases in their holiday hotspots. Returning holidaymakers may have to go into 14 day quarantine. Your decision looks increasingly sensible!

Harry Lennon said...

My brother and his wife have recently returned from 10 days in Zakynthos. The weather of course was great but they said it all felt a little strange. A shame for you to miss out but if a poetry publicstion is the upside, that will be great news. Sign me up for a copy.

Debbie Laing said...

I bet you're glad you didn't go now after what happened to all the people who went to Zante!

Jools said...

Lots more greek islands added to the Q-list. I think you did well to stay at home Steve. As someone else commented, Greece will still be there next year! Anyway, I'm looking forward to your first Collection - about time, i'd say.

Aziz Efeoglu said...

Very good.