written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Friday 2 January 2015

Forget silver bells ....

Happy New Year!!! Welcome to 2015 on the Dead Good Blog! I hope you had a wonderful Festive period.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for my absence for the last 2 weeks. I haven't been very well. And over Christmas to boot! How rude! Anyway .... I'M BAAAAAACK!

So, this weeks' topic is roots. As Sheilagh has already covered the vegetation variety, I thought I would take a different tack.

In late November / early December, it was pointed out to me by an unexpected source, that I seriously needed to colour my hair. It was all I could do to not let my jaw hit the floor. I think it probably affected me more because of that unexpected source, namely my Uncle Ian. Don't get me wrong, I knew that I had a few greys and it had crossed my mind, more than once in recent weeks, that I needed to do something about it. But .... come on! Really?! Taking a long hard look in the mirror once I had the first opportunity, I SAW what everyone else could already see. Oh dear. Oh deary, deary me. Humph!

 
Those silver lines ...

Amid lustrous brown locks,
silver strands taunt,
adding years to youth
before their time.
Softly shimmering
beneath natural light,
or glaring boldly
under man-made
incandescence,
they creep,
multiplying stealthily,
unnoticed ....
for a while.
I found my first at 24,
within moments
discovering others.
An unwanted
hereditary "hair"-loom.
So now they stand proud,
streaking brashly
across a fading
dark mop.
My New Years' Resolution
at the age of 39?
To colour my hair,
stay on top of the roots
and cling on to my youth 
as long as I can!
Now what will it be?
PURPLE or RED?
Well, in for a penny ...... !


Thanks for reading. ;-) x

0 comments: