written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Tuesday 5 December 2017

Water - Deluge

23:37:00 Posted by Pam Winning , , , , , , 3 comments

There was more rain than usual on our recent visit to Dumfries and Galloway. It doesn’t bother us, after all, rain away is better than rain at home. Driving along the east side of Galloway Forest, following Loch Ken, we noticed how high the water was, almost lapping the road in low places. The nearby waterfalls rushed faster than ever, tumbling over rocks, cascading between trees and roaring under the bridge into the Loch. It was a beautiful sight in the winter landscape of fading autumn colour and another reason to love spending time in this enchanting area.

Further south, Galgate, Lancaster, Hornby and the Lune Valley were being subjected to serious flooding.  We saw the devastation on the news. Homes and businesses damaged. Roads becoming rivers in a very short time. Pictures closer to home showed Bispham and North Blackpool badly affected, streets we recognised succumbed to the deluge.  I was saddened to learn of someone who lost everything, bungalow damaged, possessions ruined, no insurance but fortunately a caring, loving family to give help and accommodation.

     As I admired the waterfall and the rising loch, unbeknown to me, others not too far away watched in horror as flood water breached their homes.

 My chosen poem,

All Day I Hear the Noise of Waters by James Joyce

 

All day I hear the noise of waters
Making moan,
Sad as the sea-bird is when, going
Forth alone,
He hears the winds cry to the water's
Monotone.

The grey winds, the cold winds are blowing
Where I go.
I hear the noise of many waters
Far below.
All day, all night, I hear them flowing
To and fro.

 
Thanks for reading, Pam x
 

3 comments:

Adele said...

Thanks Pam - lovely choice of poem. Our lovely poetry pal, Ben Guilfoille lives in Galgate and his home was flooded out. He will be performing a set of his work at Ben & Johnny's bar during our Dead Good Open mic from 6.30pm tomorrow evening. It is a special get together before the festivities begin. Hope that you and Derek are able to join us.

Steve Rowland said...

I saw the human impact of the latest flooding en route to Lancaster a week ago - rows of houses with soaked and spoiled belonging piled up in their front gardens, a depressing sight. What's worse, it wasn't just water but was mixed with sewage as well. Too much information, I know :-(

Lady Curt said...

Yes...I was stranded in Kendal due to the A590 being flooded, at the bypass. Friends here kept me informed as to the state of play in Anchorsholme ( luckily OK ) . Meanwhile in Kendal from the house I was staying the field below gradually filled up with 5' of water ( it's a flood area...left that way ). So all okay at both ends...what a relief. By the way I often visit Dumfries and Galloway too...a trip to Caerlaverock is on the cards for the New Year to see the Barnacle Geese.