written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Friday 9 November 2018

Park

So just to confuse everyone: when I moved back to Scotland after a 20 year absence, I gradually got used to rehearing phrases long forgotten and when I lived in Buckie I learned that a "park" was not how you might know it, but it was in fact a FIELD! So people would say things like "See the coos in the park ".  Now we'd be appalled to see any cows in our local parks! But there you are. Such terms completely threw my husband, who was born and bred in Oxford, and it's a good job he had me to interpret things for him.

However, to return to parks as we know them. Places of leisure, nostalgia, fun, enjoyment, swings, slides, flowers, birds, Lakes etc. Oases of calm and peace in busy towns and cities. What a grand idea they are too, and very thoughtful of planners of the past to include them. Sometimes they are just a small area of grass and flowers in a square surrounded by houses. More than often though they are many acres of land set aside for a multitude of interests. Often including greenhouses, such as the large one I recall in Duthie Park, Aberdeen, where we could view exotic plants (and butterflies) from far off countries. Fountains played a part too , a place to paddle perhaps? Lakes of various depths and sizes giving a home to mallard ducks and other species...just like the one in Grange over Sands. Parks provide entertainment, a place to ride a scooter, push a pram, kick a ball or get on a miniature railway and experience the thrill of going round and round a track waving to all as you pass... you know, we've all done it !

Often it's a child's first introduction to a green open space where they can play freely and safely. So we need to preserve our parks. I've noticed that many parks are updating themselves and providing facilities in keeping with our modern lifestyles, as well as refurbishing firm favourites from the past. In the summer I visited "Happy Mount Park" in Morecambe and they have successfully integrated the older style amusements with more modern ones. The park successfully caters for many tastes allowing grandparents, parents and children to enjoy a day out together.

Locally, a nearby park has been 'adopted' by 'friends' and has proven to be a successful venture for the community. This seems to be a way forward as many authorities are cash-strapped and find the
upkeep of these green spaces prohibitive. Volunteers have stepped in giving of their time and expertise with good results in winning accolade in the "Britain in Bloom" competition.

I am lucky as I have access to travel and find my "green spaces" out in the countryside, but not all
are so fortunate , therefore parks and open green areas within our urban communities are important to provide a place of exercise, relaxation and enjoyment...and not forgetting the benefit of providing havens for wildlife, flowers and improving our "carbon footprint".


photo taken in the Japanese Garden in Happy Mount Park, Morecambe
 
Parks I've Known
I skated in Duthie Park, on the frozen boating pond.
So very long ago.

I had my first date in Seaton Park.
So very long ago.

Did cross country running in Hazelhead park.
So very long ago.

I scooted in Happy Mount Park, by Morecambe Bay.
This July past.
 

Thanks for reading my few lines and enjoy your local park! Kath.

2 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

I enjoyed your reminiscences Kath. (Remind me to tell you my 'cow in the park story' some time.)

Anonymous said...

Lovely blog. We used to call them 'recs' (recreation grounds/parks). Good Victorian paternalism...