written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Friday 29 March 2019

Summit..climb every mountain or not ?

I've been hillwalking since aged 8. My parents took it up at the same time, so it was a family pastime. With a hiking club, we did indeed attain some summits, but basically it was a walking group and did not just focus on mountains.

That's always been my mantra since then. If I happen to ascend a peak whilst on a walk, then that's just fine, but I don't set off to 'climb' and then descend...because it's the walk I enjoy. Many enthusiasts don't get it and on one particular fb page I was rather nastily treated. I don't care, I know what I enjoy.

As I've got older, of course, it is more difficult for me to gain height at a goodly pace and I need a walk first to warm the old muscles up. Last year I set off up Parlick from the car park at the base. To say I was slow is putting it mildly ! I huffed and puffed, with many stops to admire the view. Once up there I then enjoyed the Ridge walk and spent a happy day pootling along the footpaths - but the sudden ascent was hard on my poor legs !

I have successfully walked out the distance of the Jungfrau glacier at 12k feet, and I didn't feel the affects of the altitude. For , you see, I'd gone up to the "Top of Europe" on the train so the walk then was great. In the Rockies I attained over 12.5k as the walk up was very slow and very long, so I'd got warmed up and into my stride.

Nearer to home I did, however, want to go up Pendle Hill. The route I like is slow and gentle to begin with, then meanders slowly upwards to the summit. I've been up twice...never seen the view ( due to mist) and I've continued round and descended by a different path. It's a nice circular walk. I must , though, really do it again to see the view !

Views make reaching the summit worthwhile. It's wonderful to look upon the countryside from a height. Just to sit and dwell upon the vista. Absorb it. Take it all in. Relax. Ponder. Admire. Just sometimes I'm reluctant to leave a place because I'm overcome by the beauty, and overwhelmed to think that I will , probably, never return to that place again, and I keep glancing back, not wishing to forget.



I wrote two poems about making for Pendle Hill, so I'll choose one to share with you today.

Remember, though, not all summits are on a mountain top......

  Pendle Hill (1)

   My eyes were drawn towards the towering slope.
   Oh! Pendle Hill I've oft looked at you.
   The vista might give rise to joy and hope,
   So sure, indeed, there'd be a wondrous view.

   First time I went it started poor, you see.
   With rucksack packed I set off full of verve,
   But sky was grey, no sun shone down on me.
   Still hopeful, I set off with steely nerve.

   Oh! Pendle Hill, you fickle mountain top-
   The moorland soon by fog was duly kissed,
   The mist came down - I did not want to stop.
   So thick, so chill, so fearsome drifting mist.

   The summit reached.The mist descended cold.
   The view obscured, my hopes no longer bold.


  Thanks for reading, Kath.


1 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

Not quite a Julie Andrews moment then :-D