written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 13 July 2019

Lit From Below

Note to blogself: post at dusk... for crepuscular derives from the Latin crepusculum, meaning twilight; and twilight, in turn, means that brief period of the day when the sky is illuminated by the sun from beneath the horizon - hence lit from below. Twilight occurs twice a day, before sunrise and after sunset, and the length of twilight depends on one's position on earth in relation to the sun and the time of year. Crepuscular, an adjective much loved by zoologists, pertains to creatures, environments and events that populate the twilight period.

Need I say more, really? Perhaps just this: I'm not sure if the 'twi' bit in twilight derives from betwixt (meaning between day and night in this case) or from two (as in twice) in recognition that the sky is briefly lit by sun and moon at the same time (and of course moonlight is only reflected sunlight anyway).

Anyway, I'm keeping it (mercifully?) brief this week on account of midsummer pub crawling with my buddies in Blackpool Supporters' Trust, so the poem is the main fare, inspired in part by another seasonal crepuscular occurrence (and more 'lit from below'), the glowing of fireflies with their bioluminescent abdomens...

Fireflies At Dusk
Fireflies
Strait as a thermometer's silver shaft,
this ribbon of moonlit mercury
threads its way to the heart of the city,
a distant sodium glow miles down the tow,

while out here we're a shire's remove:
it's greenbelt country still at the cooling end
of a gruelling day. Path and skin both radiate
from relentless baking under midsummer sun

well into the crepuscular hour and as I walk,
hedgerow murmurings fade at my approach,
resuming once the echo of my steps has passed.
I wonder if that furious argument will be our last,

if I'll find you back at the house from which
we set forth happily together many hours since.
Maybe the heat and too much Beaujolais
have opened wide the gate of truth. I've time to ponder

as I wander home alone, conflicted by your meanness
and your pain, if there can ever be a way to make
the baggage of our former lives no hindrance
to our present or our future happiness. And suddenly

my trammelled twilight causeway blossoms
with a thousand bioluminescent points as fireflies
commence their ritual display. It's beautiful to see
and I would gladly share the sight, but don't know

where you are tonight since your storming exit.
I hope you're safe. Are you missing me yet?
Has your resentful anger ebbed? Or does it still
corrode your soul like cold luciferene from below?

Actually, that's not quite the end. Mention should be made of another popular crepuscular occurrence, the seasonal arrival of Australia's fabulous Spooky Men's Chorale on these fair shores, singing everything from Georgian church music to Swedish 'folk songs' in a capella ten-part harmony as the sun disappears under the horizon. Here's a musical bonus to finish with, a YouTube clip (just click on the song title) of the Spookies concluding a concert with their quite inimitable take on Abba's Dancing Queen

Thank you and good night, S ;-)

41 comments:

Tom Shaw said...

Another great poem Steve (at least that painful chapter is behind you) and I loved the Spookymen thing, brilliant.

LG said...

Powerful poetry and a lovely photo of fireflies.

Rochelle said...

I love the new poem and as for the Spookymen's Chorale hilarious. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Very instructive! I never realised twilight was so specific. You spin words beautifully into haunting poetry. The Dancing Queen link didn't work for me I'm afraid (literally - couldn't get it to play).

Fensman said...

That's a very clever poem. I hope I am not reading too much into it. Fireflies (also called glow worms but they are beetles, not worms) thrive in moist conditions near water such as the canal(?) in your poem. The female of the species climbs up grass or plant stems and glows to attract a mate. The male has extremely photosensitive eyesight. Sometimes the female wants to reproduce, sometimes she is predatory and just eats the male. The light she gives out, entirely in the visible spectrum (no infra-red or ultra-violet frequencies), is a cold light, as you describe it.

Boz said...

The poem's a belter la - & those spookiemen are a hoot. Nice one.

Matt West said...

So that's what crepuscular means. I thought it was some crippling muscular problem. Ha ha, shows what I knows - not a lot. I'm sure your poem is very good pal. I'm no judge of these things but I liked it.

Steve Rowland said...

Thanks guys and gals for the feedback to date. The poem is based (for better or worse) on experience - the canal walk, the explosive row, the beautiful fireflies, the feelings at that time - and Italo Calvino (one of whose books I happen to be reading at the moment) defines experience (that basic nutrient of any creative work) as "the memory of the event plus the wound it has inflicted on you, plus the change it has wrought in you and which has made you different." It's not a be-all-and-end-all definition but it fits this particular circumstance; and yes, Fensman, I had done my firefly research.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

What a fantastic poem. I was there! Not literally coz I live half a world away, but I was transported. I loved it. Oh, and pleased you enjoy our Spookymen back in the old country.

Stu Hodges said...

Some of your blogs and poems are very candid. I envy your ability to disclose such information about your personal life. I'm sure I couldn't ever be as open. Even more I admire the way you create some very fine poetry as a result - the present post being no exception.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this - another fabulous poem and an absurdly wonderful rendition of an Abba song that even Abba detractors must enjoy :)

Jambo said...

Winestroke???

GV (Vance) said...

That's another terrific blog Steve.

Anonymous said...

Hats off to the Saturday blogger. Another interesting blog, great poem and thanks for the Spooky bonus. Keep them coming, most enjoyable read.

F O'Jay said...

To the left, oy! Loved the latest blog Steve and the Spookymen - just brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Excellent.

Anonymous said...

Great blog. Loved the new poem and thanks for the funny video clip.

CI66Y said...

Agreed, another great blog Steve. I think the poem works very well. You've told me about these Spookymen before - really very entertaining. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I love the poem.

Mac Southey said...

I agree, that's a stunning poem, so beautifully modulated. Very well done. And then from the sublime to the wonderfully ridiculous Spookymen - a great bonus.

Anonymous said...

Excellent poem. 👍

Anonymous said...

As others have already commented, this was really rather good.

Emily Laws said...

Wonderful Fireflies - very relatable for many people I imagine. Great rendition of Dancing Queen.

Islander said...

Oh I love this blog - great writing, a beautiful poem and a funny musical bonus. Thanks so much for sharing.

Trace said...

Very good. I love your poem - had to look up 'luciferene'. So cleverly put together and an absolute pleasure to read.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous blog.

Harry Lennon said...

That's a great poem Steve. Very impressive.

Anonymous said...

Class!

Brian Cassell said...

I loved this. What a terrific poem and a stunning photo, plus I too think the Spookymen are great - seen them a couople of times. Thank you for sharing.

Nigella D said...

I thought yor poem was tremendous.

Ben Templeton said...

I agree with others, a brilliant poem in structure, content and timbre. That will resonate for a long time. Excellent, Steve.

Anonymous said...

An incredibly moving poem.

Anonymous said...

Great poetry - and somebody else who likes the Spookymen. Fabulous.

Mary Jane Evans said...

Luciferene - what a splendid word! And a lovely, moving poem.

Frida Mancour said...

Wow. Well done! That is one brilliant poem.

Sahra Carezel said...

I so agree with the comments on here: another simply lovely poem x

Max Page said...

Superbly rendered with telling emotional force in your poem. Excellent.

Anonymous said...

A fine poem. Thanks also for that introduction to the Spookymen, which raised a smile on Lockdown Day.

Deke Hughes said...

I advised you against agreeing to marry A at the time and you explained your reason for deciding to do so. Fair play for trying to make it work and I'm sorry it didn't. You've got some good poems out of it (I'm not being crass, I mean it) and this is one of the best.

Jen McDonagh said...

An incredibly moving blog and poem. I don't think I could ever be so candid. Beautifully expressed.

Tony Sedgwick said...

Yes, that's brilliant.