written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 14 September 2019

Crossing Water

Although he feels he's in a play, he is anyway (to misquote Paul McCartney)....

She: "You are going on a long journey."
I: "Not aboard the Trans-Pennine Express, I hope."
She: "I see trains and boats and planes."
I: "Burt Bacharach!"
She: "Who's he?"
I: "A tall, dark, handsome arranger."
She: "You're making fun of me."
I: "Sorry. Carry on, Oracle."

She: "I see you crossing water."
I: "Good. Now we're getting somewhere."
She: "Yes, you are in a boat."
I: "What kind of boat?"
She: "I cannot name it to you."
I: "Oh, but this is important. Please concentrate."

She: "It is a medium-sized boat."
I: "Like a yacht? Or a ferry? Does it have sails?"
She: "These things I cannot divulge."
I: "Am I alone or accompanied?"
She: "You are not alone."
I: "Who am I with in this medium-sized boat?"
She: "That I cannot tell."
I: "But, come on. You're the Oracle."

She: "Sir, I cannot tell if you are with any of the beautiful women, or either of the men wearing trench-coats and hats although it is the middle of summer. Perhaps you are with the goats. Or maybe you are simply in company but unaccompanied."
I: "There are goats?"
She: "Indeed. Several goats."
I: "What colour are the goats?"
She: "That I cannot tell, but they smell."
I: "You can't say what colour they are, but you can smell them?"
She: "That is correct. I am colour-blind, a quirk of birth, but I am not anosmic. The goats are dark."

I: "Okay, we're getting off the point here. Where am I going in this medium-sized boat with beautiful women, men in trench-coats and smelly, dark goats? Please don't tell me you cannot say!"
She: "On the contrary. I see you heading towards a very beautiful island."
I: "Excellent. Please describe this island to me, in monochrome if needs be."
She: "You're making fun of me again."
I: "No, honestly, I didn't mean it like that. You are a very sensitive Oracle!"
She: "I have to be, to do what I do. It is a blessing and a curse."
I: "I understand. Please proceed."

She: "I see a sandy shore."
I: "There's always something there to remind me."
She: "Remind you of what?"
I: "It's a Burt Bacharach song that Sandie Shaw had a big hit with."
She: "I've no idea what you're talking about."
I: "Apologies. This island - kindly continue."
She: "I see an olive grove and there are goats in the trees."
I: "Do you mean among the trees?"
She: "No, I mean literally up in the branches, munching on the leaves."
I: "I knew it. It must be a Greek island. We're crossing water from one Greek island to another."
She: "If you say so, Sir. I see a harbour with many little boats tied up, and pale houses on a hillside and women working hard in the fields and men sitting in cafes doing absolutely nothing."
I: "Yes, that's definitely Greece."

She: "I also see a cove. Wait, no. Not simply a cove - he's a tall, dark, handsome arranger and he's come down to the harbour to greet you as you arrive, helping you all out of the medium-sized boat, the beautiful women first, then the goats and the men in trench-coats and lastly yourself and he's speaking to you all as you step ashore."

I: "This is most fascinating. I don't suppose you can tell me what he's saying?"
She: "Oh yes, his voice is very clear. He's saying to everyone: 'Welcome to Hades'."


I hope you enjoyed that mythological spoof of the journey to the afterlife. Greece does actually beckon; Paros, to be precise, pictured above. It's time to try and extend summer and I'm feeling de-mob happy (you'd noticed), so I leave you with this ATOL-exempted cautionary tale, latest playful product of the imaginarium:

Package Holiday
The card on the doormat advised: Missed you,
so sorry - package left at number 92.
I rang the bell of our neighbours from hell
and waited, though hardly with bated breath
for I thought I knew what to expect.

Mavis came to the door in a floral bikini
which barely contained her generous figure.
Suppressing a snigger, I showed her the card
which she read with a sigh, as though bored,
and then beckoned me in through the hall.

She had sand on her feet, a little strange,
but all was explained when we stood in the lounge.
They'd knocked out a wall to make one big room
for the loud, drunken parties they held every Friday
and to which Pippa and I were never invited.

There stood the box that I'd come to collect
but its sides were ripped asunder
and all its contents plundered.

I bent down and fished out the packing slip
on which were itemised as follows:
one plastic groundsheet tray
12 feet by 12 feet with Velcro edging,
one large bag of fine white sand to cover same,
one sun lamp with lead, plug and two spare bulbs,
one inflatable palm tree with weighted stand,
one compact disc of soothing sea sounds,
two colourful Egyptian cotton beach towels,
two pairs of sun-glasses, one cooler bag,
one holiday romance, two bats, one ball.
Call 1-700-collect if any component is missing.

There was also a postcard card which said:
Do away with travel worries and delays,
enjoy a stress-free break at home instead.
Thank you for purchasing this package holiday.
Enjoy. Courtesy of the Funky Fun Company.
I wish!

I looked in utter disbelief at the mis-en-scene
playing out in the middle of the floor.
Ron, our scrawny young neighbour, lay sprawled
in his Bermuda shorts on my towel,
on my square of beach, under my sunlamp,
sporting my Ray-Bans, cold beer to hand,
while he ogled the centrefold of a girlie mag,
lulled by the boom of my surf sounds and gulls.

Mavis hovered large, unseemly,
uncertain about resuming her place
by his side on that other towel,
on which reposed the trashy book,
more sunglasses and a dry martini.

Ron's unscrupulous ways and shameless leer
filled my head with apocalyptic thoughts
of visiting shock and awe right then, right there
on the despicable pair on that ersatz shore,
but I baulked. Discretion whispered
'Take them to court, use the law'.
I snapped a quick photo to prove my case
and then with a snort
kicked sand in his face and walked.


Thanks for reading. I'm off to find the sun! Back (all too) soon y'all, S ;-)

51 comments:

Ben Templeton said...

Hilarious! Happy holidays Saturday blogger :)

Binty said...

I love this Steve. Very good.

Nicci Haralambous said...

So funny to read. I love Paros! 👍👍👍

Anonymous said...

Very clever Mr R, the spoof and the package holiday poem. Kudos and happy holidays.

Boz said...

Bangin' la, just like the reds today!

Ross Madden said...

Fabulous blog Steve.

Nigella D said...

I love reading these blogs; as beautifully written and imaginative as ever. Thank you.

Tom Shaw said...

Another great blog. Where else would you read about Burt Bacharach and goats in trees? Enjoy your vacation.

Unknown said...

Another excellent read. We miss your skills at BST!!
Enjoy your much deserved holiday.

Rochelle said...

I loved the skit in particular, so funny; thought your poem was very clever too. Enjoy Paros. I've never been but I'm told it's beautiful.

Deke Hughes said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this latest blog. Your spin on a visit to a fortune-teller is most entertaining and the 'tall, dark arranger' motif is very clever. Mavis and Ron in the Package Holiday poem remind me of the puny man and buxom woman stereotypes from saucy seaside postcards - I assume that was intentional? Enjoy away. D.

Brian Cassell said...

Thia was great fun to read. Thank you. Enjoy your break.

The Existentialist said...

Nothing is real...

Anonymous said...

Very funny :)

CI66Y said...

I hope you're planning to come back :)

Celia M said...

Very good Steve. Happy holiday.

Anonymous said...

You breathe new life into old ideas. Entertaining and excellent blogging.

Bruce Paley said...

Very well written.

Anonymous said...

Genius poetry - very funny :)

Steve Rowland said...

I'm back from sunny Paros with a late-September tan and the fortitude to face whatever autumn/winter has in store. Thanks all for the good wishes and positive comments on this blog. Deke my friend, it was very astute of you to pick up on the 'saucy seaside postcard archetypes' theme. Some of you may get the oblique reference to those silly Charles Atlas advertisements as well. Anyway, taking the concept of a package holiday to its literal and absurd extreme was good (and playful)fun - and all of this before the full horror of the Thomas Cook collapse broke. I'll be back at the blogface on Saturday.

Jools said...

Welcome back Steve. Thanks for sharing, this was very funny.

Dani Merakli said...

Very funny :)

Billy Banter said...

Boss!

Tyger Barnett said...

Excellent blogging - very funny Steve, both the skit and the poem.

Anonymous said...

Very cleverly done. A joy to read. 👍

Rod Downey said...

Who doesn't love a goat-in-a-boat story? Bravo Steve. This was very witty and I enjoyed the Package Holiday poem.

Anonymous said...

Fab and funny!

Harry Lennon said...

"shock and awe...on that ersatz shore" - wickedly good allusion to Apocalypse Now if I'm not mistaken :)

K0NR&D said...

Very good Mr R. 👍👍👍👍👍

Anonymous said...

I loved this. Oracle sounds better than Alexis!

Steve Rowland said...

Thanks again for the appreciative comments.

Anon - I suspect you mean Alexa (the ubiquitous electronic voice-activated aid)... unless you really did have in mind Alexis Mardas, aka Magic Alex, the Greek electronics engineer (and 'sham technological guru') who enjoyed the patronage of the Beatles and built them the Apple Studio that never worked! My Oracle in contrast to both the aforementioned is incorporeal and incomparable, as you suggest :-)

GV (Vance) said...

Welcome back Steve. I enjoyed this tremendously.

Kenny Garcia said...

Bodacious, dude. English humor, I love it.

Bickerstaffe said...

Very well done! This had me laughing out loud :)

Anonymous said...

Fabulous blog Steve.

Jay Henderson said...

Very witty and hugely enjoyable. Thanks for sharing Steve.

Jambo said...

Kickin' man! Great spoofs.

Anonymous said...

Did you ever think of writing comedy sketches? I think you'd be a natural.

Luke Taylor said...

The "Yes that's definitely Greece" line really creased me up :) Another great blog Steve. You're pretty good at this!

Anonymous said...

Priceless. I really enjoyed this Steve. 👍

Anonymous said...

So funny. Any poem that includes the phrase mis-en-scene is alright by me.

Stu Hodges said...

As entertaining as ever Steve. Having just suffered trauma on a Thomas Cook holiday myself I kind of envy the 'home package' concept!

Anonymous said...

Very funny! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha - and ha ha ha. Splendid fun.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love that crossing water skit, so clever. More please 👍👍👍

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Good onya Steve, this was sweet as!

Frida Mancour said...

Very clever. I love reading your blogs.

Anonymous said...

Wicked! 👍

Dan Francisco said...

Very funny.

Anonymous said...

Hugely entertaining - and a beautiful picture.

Max Page said...

Yes, excellent value. I laughed a lot. 👍👍👍