written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Sunday 29 September 2019

Toxic Times

It feels like it's a toxic time at the moment. Global warming, Trump, Brexit - need I go on?


I love animals and always have done. How they brighten the world and create a sense of awe and beauty. But tragically more and more are becoming endangered. I am mortified about the Amazon rainforest burning. Such a loss of life.


In times like these I think our authentic self is so important as we are in danger (see what I did there!) of losing ourselves in the black pit of stupidity. What I mean by that is: don't follow the crowd, vote and do what you think is right! Oh and please recycle!.

Now for a poem by moi.

Truth
Look at you.
If only you knew the truth,
that the world can be changed in a day.
If we all made one change,
imagine how life would be.
Free, free to explore.
No more dictators, waste.
The world would be a magnificent place.
I know this may sound like a dream,
trust me - this is the truth,
the world can be changed in a day.
And it starts....
Today.
Hopefully...
Maybe...
Probably not...

Helena Ascough x

3 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

Hopefully... as you say Helena. I thought naively, when I first signed up to Friends Of The Earth in 1970, that once the dangers were publicised everyone would get behind the drive to be green, to conserve and sustain because it makes such obvious sense. Almost 50 years down the line there has been some progress but exploitative big business, national self-interest and apathy are huge adversaries. We have to keep fighting.

Anonymous said...

What was it Greta Thunberg said? How dare you, you have stolen my future - or something to that effect.

Celia M said...

An interesting blog, nice poem and pictures. Thinking Green must be the way to go.