written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 1 February 2020

Life Before Spotify!

Hey kids, guess what? In the long ago and faraway of the mid-20th century, when your mums and dads were barely twinkles in your grandparents' eyes, young people used to have to go to cafes (sometimes called coffee bars) and ice-cream parlours (also known as soda hops) or drugstores to listen to recorded music - on jukeboxes. These latter were gleaming chrome, glass and neon-lit record-playing machines loaded with fifty or more 7 inch vinyl discs (singles, waxings, platters, hot biscuits), said discs being the popular songs of the era.

Life Before Spotify!
This was life before digitisation, i-Pods, shuffle, spotify, streaming. It was the late, quaint analogue age, a time when most teenagers (a recently invented breed) didn't yet possess a portable record-player or a transistor radio.

Young persons out for a good time would congregate at establishments that possessed a jukebox, would press a coin or coins (sixpence, shilling, dime, quarter) into the slot and then select the requisite number of paid-for 'plays' from a menu via the key pad - see above - for instance K9, 'Hound Dog'  by Elvis Presley (lol).

Here's the week's interesting etymological snippet. The word juke comes from Gullah, a Creole-variant language spoken by the African Americans of coastal Georgia and South Carolina (and it is closely related to Bahamian). I was pleased to learn that it means disorderly!

A mechanical arm in the 'disorderly' box would pull the requested disc from the stack and place it correct side up (there was a different song on each side) on the revolving turntable, whereupon a second arm (the tone arm, tipped with a stylus) would alight on the disc and start playing the chosen track at 45rpm (revolutions per minute). What jolly, frothy coffee slurping, finger clicking fun it was! Of course, I was too young myself, but I've been regaled with the tales - and eventually encountered jukeboxes in my own late teenage years, by which time both they and I had found our way into ale houses (frequently dubbed pubs or boozers).

Young Persons Out For A Good Time Around The Jukebox
We hip young things at the bar would put the likes of 'Revolution' , 'Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown' and 'Born To Be Wild'  on repeat play, but it never seemed to disturb the old codgers doggedly supping on their brown ales while they read the evening paper or played a game of dominos.

Nowadays, jukeboxes are rare and highly collectible. Some early models nearly qualify as antiques. They are apparently very popular in the mansions of rock stars of a certain vintage, loaded up with classic cuts of their choosing, (including some of their own greatest hits, no doubt), a reminder of those B4 days when they and their buddies grouped around one such beautiful beast in a coffee bar or drugstore, listening to that same track over and over until they'd figured out all the words, the guitar licks, drum patterns and those vocal harmonies.

The Beauty Of The Beast
In tribute to the theme of tracks, the afore-mentioned spirit of disorder, and the light-weight disposition of the popular song, I've attempted a poem this week based on the principle of the lyrical mash-up. It's more complex than the 'one song to the tune of another'  challenge beloved of radio panel games, for here although the structure painstakingly follows the rhythm of Johnny Lennon's ground-breaking Strawberry Fields Forever, I've selected snatches of lyrics from many different pop songs and recast them so that they make some sort of sense (I hope) in their new and far from random setting. (It was harder than I anticipated.) Feel free to sing along, either out loud or in your head... "it doesn't matter much to me".

Jukeboxed
Let me shake you down,
'cause we're going to Scarborough Fair,
flowers in our hair,
and everyone's a winner babe,
born to be wild forever.

Look for a reason to believe,
the darkest hour's before the dawn.
We'll rise up shining with the day,
it's the only way -
no need to feel so all alone.

Let me shake you down,
'cause we're going to Scarborough Fair,
flowers in our hair,
and everyone's a winner babe,
born to be wild forever.

I don't care too much for money,
hoping for seasons in the sun;
it's getting better all the time,
so come and go with me,
we only want to have some fun.

Let me shake you down,
'cause we're going to Scarborough Fair,
flowers in our hair,
and everyone's a winner babe,
born to be wild forever.

You make me dizzy Miss Lizzy,
all logic and proportion cast
like caution to the winds of fate.
The hour is getting late
but I'm happy just to be with you.

Let me shake you down,
'cause we're going to Scarborough Fair,
flowers in our hair,
and everyone's a winner babe,
born to be wild forever.

Thanks for reading. Stay frothy, S ;-)

38 comments:

Binty said...

I love it!

Matt West said...

K9 - Hound Dog! Are you kidding pal? That's funny.

Mac Southey said...

I don't think I've ever read a dull blog from you and this one is a delight, funny and fascinating. So that's why they were called juke boxes. I can see what you were trying to do with the song/poem, but I hope you don't mind me saying it doesn't quite work for me (though I did sing it!) Thanks anyway. I prefer your proper poems. Keep them coming.

Ross Madden said...

Great blog Steve. 👍

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Before we emigrated, my elder sister used to buy ex-jukebox singles from our local record shop. They were something like half a crown each instead of six shillings and they'd all had the middles pressed out, I suppose to fit onto the playing mechanism in the machine. She had to buy plastic centres for them all, a penny each. She was a Cliff Richard fan. (I know...)

Tom&Toes said...

Happy Birthday Saturday blogging dude! You get an A1 from the Doncaster juke box jury :)

Laxmiben Hirani said...

Beautiful poem and part of a song too!

CI66Y said...

Highly entertaining as per ususal Steve. I'm not surprised you found recreating something in the forms of Strawberry Fields more challenging than anticipated. I think that's because Lennon wrote poetry whereas Macca wrote song. An interesting exercise nonetheless and I had fun spotting (or trying to spot) the songs you'd raided - some less obvious than others and a few that foxed me completely.

Anonymous said...

You're rocking Mr R!

Melanie Harris-Blythe said...

"Hey mister that's me up on the juke box..." old JT. Love your blogs Steve :)

Rod Downey said...

Hey Steve, thanks for this - most enjoyable. I drive a Juke... should I be worried? I try to keep it tidy (LOL). PS bought a Karen Dalton CD based on your recent recommendation - blown away!

Harry Lennon said...

Very good Steve. I would never have guessed the origin of the word juke - never even heard of Gullah. My dad and his cronies were dogged codgers, so that description made me laugh. It was all Vera Lynn and Frank Sinatra with them, maybe a bit of Patsy Cline if they were feeling adventurous! Your Jukeboxed piece was an interesting creation - I think I spotted quite a few of your steals. Keep the blogs coming, they're tremendous.

Grant Trescothick said...

Ha ha... "You try telling the younger generation that and they'll never believe you" (Monty Python's Flying Circus). Fab blog Steve. 👍

Anonymous said...

B10 but not bowed, to continue the juke box joke. This was a great read :)

Steve Rowland said...

Thanks all for your comments. Mac and Clive - you call it right I think. Jukeboxed is a technical exercise rather than a deeply felt piece of poetry (I can't come up with the latter every week) but I hope it also makes a point ;-)

Deke Hughes said...

I enjoyed your blog as ever, especially the amusing style in which you wrote it. (Do you have many 'kids' among your readers? LOL) As for your revamp of SFF, it was interesting to say the least, but you know I prefer your 'proper' poems.

Tom Shaw said...

Jukeboxed - I played and sang along...it works! 👍

Harald C said...

Very interesting, Steve! I also do remember JUKEBOXES (but also the WALKMAN, PORTABLE CD PLAYER, etc.) I love the etymology aspect 😉

How are things otherwise? No plans to come and visit Poland?

Take care.

Stu Hodges said...

Thanks for this Steve, a most enjoyable read. I just about remember mechanical juke boxes - all digital nowadays of course. Fascinating to learn where the name comes from. As for your musical mosaic, I reckon there are 20 songs referenced in Jukeboxed but I can only definitely nail 12 of them. Will you be providing answers???

Anonymous said...

A1! Champion that. 👍

Boz said...

Fine and dandy blogging, la.

Bickerstaffe said...

Nice memories. Many's the tanner I've fed into juke boxes.

Max Page said...

Very well written Steve. You always have an interesting angle on your weekly themes. I found this both informative and amusing. As for your reworking of an iconic Beatles song, it was very clever. I particularly liked the (recurring) chorus and the last verse.

Anonymous said...

Very good dude!

Anonymous said...

That was fun 👍

Luke Taylor said...

Great blog, fun to read and I love what you've done with the song.

Kenny Garcia said...

Most enjoyable Steve. I had no idea how the jukebox came to be so-called. Also I loved the observation that rock stars have jukeboxes installed with all their favourite songs - why wouldn't you, after all? I also read some of the comments and I think the one about Lennon writing poetry while McCartny wrote songs is a shrewd one. Rock on, fella!

Mitch Carragher said...

Okay Steve, I'm biting at the Jukeboxed challenge: Beatles (obviously) then Simon & Garfunkel, Flowers in our hair I don't know (San Francisco?), Hot Chocolate, Steppenwolf, Rod Stewart, Mamas & Papas, ?, more Beatles, Terry Jacks, more Beatles, Oasis, ?,more Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, ?, Dylan and the Turtles. How did I do?

Belinda Storey said...

What a great blog. Jukeboxes truly were beasts. My parents had a huge one in their pub (the Blue Lion) and the bikers used to spend a fortune in it. Nowadays pubs seem to be full of gaming machines and sports TVs, which is definitely a step backwards in my opinion.

Martin Brewster said...

I'd love a jukebox. I'm not a rockstar and I don't live in a mansion but I think it would look cool in my living-room. Trouble is, last time I checked on e-Bay for a bona fide original floor-mounted juke (not one of those wall boxes or a CD playing replica), prices started at £2,000! Maybe that's why only rockstars have them nowadays.

Jazmeen said...

So cool!

Anonymous said...

Who remembers Juke Box Jury from the sixties? Is it a Hit or a Miss? David Jacobs compered if I remember correctly.

Pete Singleton said...

As others have said, a delight to read. 👍👍👍

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this so much I put it on repeat play i.e. read it twice ;)

Liam Shaughnessy said...

This was funny :)

Malcolm Drysdale said...

Thank you Steve Rowland for a most enjoyable read. I'll be checking out more of your blogs, that's for sure.

Peter Fountain said...

I don't know half the songs you've quoted from, but that Jukeboxed poem looks very clever. 👍

Alex Stengelis said...

I stumbled across this. Brilliant writing and clever poem. I loved it.