written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 14 March 2020

Seashore

These are strange days indeed. I was planning to serve you up a sandy Saturday Blog - and will endeavour to do so still - but the progress of Coronavirus (alias Covid-19) is starting to make its presence felt now in dramatic fashion. What apparently emerged as a strange new strain of a respiratory illness in Wuhan, China, late last year is now sweeping - with all the attributes of a pandemic - right around the world.

As I type this blog, and to try and give some sense of perspective, there are more people living on Central Drive in Blackpool than there are confirmed Covid-19 cases in the whole of the UK at the moment (798 was the most recent official figure for the latter); and for the majority of people who contract this new strain of Coronavirus, the effects will be no worse, allegedly, than a mild bout of flu. Those citizens who are most at risk are the very old and anyone with an underlying respiratory issue. I fear a little bit for my uncle, in his nineties and living in a residential care home in Blackpool. I worry for my daughters who both live and work in London (one in the fashion industry and one at London Zoo) and that concern is as much for the economic impact this is going to have as anything. For myself, as supporters' liaison officer for Blackpool Football Club, I shall be kicking my heels for a few weeks, given the EFL's decision to pend all league football until April at the earliest.

I suppose what people fear most is the unknown: exactly how high the exponential rise in confirmed cases  is going to go and over what time period; whether/when parts of this country will have to be put into lockdown as appears to be happening in various European locales (Europe now being the epicentre of the pandemic, we're told); what the economic impact is going to be on those hundreds of thousands of businesses that rely on human footfall for their viability (and the staff they employ and the families they support). Thank you, China! (an ungracious thought, but one has to wonder exactly how all this started).

Once I've posted this blog, if the sun stays shining as it is currently doing, I shall take a long and bracing walk along the seafront in the jewel of the north, with its six miles of golden sand. If the tide is out (I haven't checked the tide tables, I'll just turn up and see) I might go down onto the seashore and let the sunshine, the rush of ozone and the open vista blow these viral blues away.


The first seashore I was taken to was a sandy beach near Lagos, Nigeria, as a small boy. I've seen photographs of me on the shore looking at the Atlantic rollers coming in but I don't remember much apart from the big blue blobs of stranded jellyfish melting in hot African sun. Then it was Southsea beach near Portsmouth, where my maternal grandparents lived - but that was all pebbly! Living in the east of England upon returning to the UK (Peterborough and Cambridge), our jaunts as kids to the seashore were typically to Norfolk, where Hunstanton with its wide expanse of sand was a favourite, although summer holidays to the Devon coast were also happy times.

Given my affinity with coast and sea (which I put down to my Viking lineage), it was strange that I should find myself residing and working in Hertfordshire (about as far from any seashore as it's possible to be in this country) for most of my adult life. Week-ends and holidays were always an opportunity to head to the margins of the land (be it in this country or abroad), to walk on the sand, to enjoy the sea and that special light that one finds where beach and ocean meet. Now that I live just minutes from one of the finest seashores in the British Isles, it can be a daily pleasure and I consider myself a very fortunate Seasider indeed.

Right, I've gone a bit Celtic fringe with this week's poem, something I shared as a work-in-progress with my friends of the Blackpool & Fylde Stanza group the other evening. They told me it was too long - so I've cut it into two separate poems and here's the first of them. (The other will appear at some later date, I'm sure). My thanks to my fellow poeticals for their helpful feedback, which I've taken into consideration in completing this piece.

I'll say no more in terms of a preamble except that Mwnt beach is in Ceredigion, South Wales, it's a worthwhile challenge to get to (my wife and I first visited it with our one-year old daughter in 1987 when it was in the middle of MoD land, though I believe the National Trust has now acquired it), plus it's a good place to see dolphins and sunsets and was cited recently as one of Europe's top ten loveliest hidden beaches (though don't all rush there, please). Oh, and the poem mentions splendid isolation, so it's also spookily topical. How about that? I hope you enjoy it.


Climbing Down To Mwnt
Under steep Foel y Mwnt it lay,
the hidden beach,
enticing and unpeopled,
a perfect sandy half-moon bay
hemmed by its silver tangle tideline.

The way to shore proved difficult,
downwards at forty-five degrees
with no obvious path,
exacting for its being so sheer
through coarse damp grass
and jagged yellow gorse
snagged with the fleece of sheep
perched unperturbed on such a slant.

They cropped at salty verdure
in mid- morning sun
in seeming defiance of gravity.
I marvelled that they didn't all
just roll down woolly to the shore,
as we navigated slowly past,
side-footing each steep step
by careful step, you leading,
laden with rugs and picnic basket, I
with our year-old daughter in my arms,
for we were young and strong
and all things were possible.

Glancing briefly up behind us
from the flatness of the strand,
that slope looked more imposing yet,
those dotted sheep the more improbable.
Apart from it not being on any map,
it's no wonder so few ventured
down to where we spread out rugs
in splendid isolation and set
our sand-child free to play.
We saw never another soul
all that perfect summer's day.

Thanks for reading. Stay healthy and have a good week, S :-)

67 comments:

Nigella D said...

That's a great blog Steve and a fabulous poem.

Anonymous said...

Strange days indeed Mr R. When one door opens etc... I really like the new poem, well done.

Deke Hughes said...

It feels like we're all waiting for something momentous to happen, that's for sure. Maybe the fact that you live in a breezy seaside town will work in your favour, I don't know - blow the virus away or something. I'm sure you'll keep us all posted via the blog. I enjoyed this latest edition, and the new poem, very good. Take care my friend.

F O'Jay said...

I'm pleased uou eventually found the best seaside in the world :) Thanks for your latest, great to read as ever. I absolutely love the poem.

Saskia Parker said...

I love the poem. ❤️

Ben Templeton said...

Perspective is getting distorted by fear of the unknown and then out come all the weird theories about Covid-19 - like the global cull conspiracy. I enjoyed your seashore reflections and your latest poem. Thanks Steve.

Matt West said...

No football buddy! How long is that going to go on for? Do you have any info as SLO?

Jen McDonagh said...

We visited Mwnt beach a couple of years ago. It's still a beautiful cove but not as perilous to get to as your evovcative poem portrays it. There are proper concrete steps down to it nowadays.

Luke Taylor said...

I saw your post on Facebook about Kazakhstan with 8 confirmed Coronavirus cases closing its borders. It does make you wonder if the world is going slightly mad.

CI66Y said...

Happy Monday Steve. Thanks for this latest blog. I know you didn't want it to be primarily about Coronavirus but that seems to be a bit of a fixation at the moment. To be honest, I don'tt know what to think about it either. On the one hand you've got the UK government 'modelling' for a worst case scenario in which 80% of the population get infected - that's over 50 million people ffs - and on the other the current total is 1,372. Even in China it's supposed to have peaked at less than 100,000 cases in a country of 1.4 billion people, quarantine hospitals are closing, schools are re-opening etc. What to believe???

Anyway, I envy you living ten minutes walk from the sea. I wish we were that close for the sense of openness and drama. I thought your latest poem was mighty fine as well. Thanks for sharing.

Rochelle said...

I somehow feel that Covid-19 is the real project fear. I enjoyed your seaside blogging and that lovely poem in particular. Stay well Steve.

Debbie Laing said...

So this Coronvirus pandemic just got a whole lot more serious with the latest measures announced this evening. I'm starting to fret about the ongoing impact of all this. My parents are in their late 70s - can't imagine them isolating themselves for 12 weeks to be honest.

Charlotte Mullins said...

What a lovely poem. I can visualise your intrepid descent perfectly :)

Binty said...

I wonder if it really was as steep as you remember it. 1 in 2 gradient is quite something (LOL). Don't get me wrong, it's a delightful poem.

Rod Downey said...

Marginalia rule! We all love a seashore, don't we? This was another great read Steve. Thanks.

Celia M said...

Happy memories are something to hang on to in dark times.

Mitch Carragher said...

A great read Steve - measured reflections and a lovely poem. Stay virus free.

Lina Gulhane said...

I love the poem.

Bickerstaffe said...

Just out if interest, as you mentioned it, how many people do live on Centrak Drive in Blackpool?

Gareth Boyd Haskins said...

Unprecedented must rank as the most overused adjective this week but what is unfolding daily is quite amazing. I enjoy reading your blogs and I thank you for your attempt at a calm appraisal of Covid-19 and what it might portend. You're lucky you have a seashore to escape to. Here it seems we're heading for lockdown.

Steve Rowland said...

Thanks everyone for the feedback to date. I'm gratified that the poem meets with approval amidst all the comments and concerns about Coronavirus. I suspect this is the calm before the storm. Bickerstaffe, there are approx. 800 people living on Central Drive, which at the time I wrote the blog last week was more than the total number of confirmed C-19 cases in the UK. Even now there are only 4 confirmed cases in Blackpool itself (pop. 150,000) though that is bound to rise. Fortunately I was able to visit my uncle this week before they locked down his care home. Take care all.

Sahra Carezel said...

That's a beautiful poem about your hidden beach. I love it. πŸ‘

Gemma Gray said...

I think your new poem's fantastic :)

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Solidarity with the Old Country Steve. Here in Oz we're about a week behind the UK. 796 cases confirmed, 7 deaths. Meetings of over 100 peeps prohibited but schools remain open. PM calls it worst crisis in a generation, rips into panic-buying and budget is postponed from May to October. 144 cases fo far in Queensland. Meantimes, thank you for another top post. I love the latest poem. You take care, stay free and keep blogging. x

Jade Keillor said...

A brilliant read as usual. I loved the poem, beautifully described. I hope you stay virus free.

K. Worth said...

Thanks for sharing Steve - a good read. Stay healthy and hopeful :)

Martin Brewster said...

Holy sh!t Saturday Blogger - who would have thought so much could change so quickly in just a week? I know you said in your email that you didn't want coronavirus to steal the agenda but it's calling the shots at the moment. It's a bit like a test for the human race. Let's hope we pass! Enjoy your beach at least.

Billy Banter said...

All these drakonean measures will kill a town like Blackpool that thrives on its pubs and clubs and bars. There's still only 5 confirmed cases here. I don't get it. I hope its worth all the pain.

Jools said...

Your blogs are always a great read. Keep them coming Steve. That's a fine new poem and a bright spot in a dark day.

Beth Randle said...

This is a great blog. I love the sentiments, the photography and the wonderful poetry. Thanks for sharing and stay bright :)

Harry Lennon said...

I'm not even going to comment on the Covid-19 pandemic for fear of saying the wrong thing. We all need to balance fear with common sense. I hope you stay virus-free Steve and keep on entertaining us with your excellent blogs in the daunting weeks/months that we're told lie ahead of us. I thought this one was great and I love the latest poem.

Jon Cromwell said...

Lucky you to have miles of promenade to promenade along and I love the phrase 'blow these viral blues away'. As for the poem, top drawer that. Keep them coming Steve. And what about that book you keep threatening? Surely now is the time...

Romy Lowenthal said...

I send best wishes to you Steve. My country is in lockdown, It is strange days like you say. Stay well and send more blogs.

GV (Vance) said...

Very well written. I love the poem.

Lindi Schnaubell said...

This is great. I hit on your blogs thru finding your Beatlemania poem on FB. Gonna read more for sure.

Stu Hodges said...

I don't think anybody will be rushing anywhere Steve :( Mwnt is safe for quite a while I reckon! I enjoyed your latest poem. πŸ‘ Stay well.

Georgia Steele said...

I've just read your latest, which I very much enjoyed, and I thought of that line from Joni Mitchell: you don't know what you've got till it's gone. Hang on in there.

Lynn Carter said...

Measured but positive words and beautiful poetry - thank you Steve.

Linda Cracknell said...

Super, thanks. Love that 'sand child'!

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog and great poetry - brightened my evening I must say.

Bruce Paley said...

I think we are all holding our collective breath and hoping this doesn't turn out as badly as the experts are predicting. Enjoy your walks along the prom while you can Steve, they'll be the next things to go. I love the poem :)

Kenny Garcia said...

What a fabulous poem. I take it the 'sand-child' is one of those daughters in London you mentioned. These must be worrying times. I hope all stay safe.

Mary Jane Evans said...

That's a lovely poem :)

Grant Trescothick said...

That's another beautifully measured blog and a superb poem. Very good. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Ross Madden said...

That's a fine poem :)

Helen Ginn said...

Beautifully crafted poem. I love it!

Dani Merakli said...

What a splendid blog. I know things have moved on a bit virus-wise since you posted it but it's still a great read and a beautifully crafted poem. Well done qand thanks for sharing - sorry it's taken me so long to get around to reading it. Stay safe Steve. x

Erica Tremaine said...

That's a lovely poem ❤️

Anonymous said...

Nobody will be rushing anywhere for months at this rate - but when the pandemic is over I shall go looking for your hidden beach because abroad might well be a no for a while as well.

Jacq Slater said...

Strange days is right, but thanks for an uplifting blog. We will get through this nightmare. I love the beautifully crafted poem - a trial run for social distancing if ever there was one! πŸ‘

Anonymous said...

Lovely, lovely poetry.

Mark McDowell said...

I enjoyed your blog but your poem is the standout and illustrates the power of the written word to give both permanence and universality to a moment in time.

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely poem.

Emily Blythe said...

Great blog. Loved the poem. Your words transported me to that beach beneath the steep hill, with its silver tangle tideline. Beautiful πŸ‘

Henry Shacks said...

A most enjoyable read and uplifting in difficult times.

Anonymous said...

Your commentary on the spread of the pandemic strikes me as a little naive (with the benefit of hindsight) but there is no denying the beauty of your poetry.

Natalija Drozdova said...

That is a lovely poem Steve. πŸ‘

Simon Pickford said...

I really enjoyed this, especially your poem which extrapolates the concept of the the blissful bubble many of us feel when we have a first-born and makes it graphic. Well done.

Steve Rowland said...

Hmmm. Anon, I don't believe I was naΓ―ve, merely pointed out that in mid-March Covid-19 had not engulfed the country. I think it was the government that was naΓ―ve at best and wilful at worst for a) not implementing track and trace and b) not enforcing lockdown earlier than they did. The total number of clinically confirmed cases in Blackpool is somewhere in the region of 900, out of a population of 150,000 and 230 people have died of Covid-related causes. as of 2nd July.

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely, positive poem :)

Bella James said...

You paint an idyllic picture. It's a lovely poem. ❤️

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poetry.

Poppy Deveraux said...

That's a splendid poem. Well done.

Amber Molloy said...

What a delightful poem. Is that the daughter who got married recently?

Hazel Williams said...

Reading posts like this really makes me wish I lived nearer to the sea. I loved the poem.

Tif Kellaway said...

That's such a lovely poem.

Gwyneth Jones said...

Hindsight! We never expected Covid to ravage like it did for 18 months. Love the poem. I know Mwnt beach. πŸ‘