written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Tuesday 24 March 2020

Social Distancing - Stay Away

I'm away from home, in my 'happy place' and I can't imagine a better place to be isolated. We travelled before the current restrictions and hope we can get home again as planned. We are taking our situation one day at a time.


Social distancing is taken very seriously. Streets are quiet as people stay in more than usual. Shops are allowing only two customers inside at a time and floor markings are in place to remind us what safe spacing is. People are half-hidden behind scarves or medical face masks. I'm reassured by all measures being taken and, of course, include myself.  Staff remain friendly and helpful. No one is offended by requests to pay 'contactless' or by staff sanitizing their hands after taking cash. Necessary safe-guards, in place and working well.

It wasn't like this at home before we left, at least not in town. It may be different now, but not everyone was taking notice of social distancing which made it a wasted effort for those like me trying to maintain space. Stock-piling had created shortages and made shopping for essentials harder for everyone. Tempers were frayed. I hope it isn't the same when we return.

At work, a member of the public shouted at me and accused me of not listening when I was doing my best to hear him across a two metre distance,  with a telephone ringing and a patient being called over the Tannoy.

The situation is bringing out the best and the worst in people. I hope that there is more of the best and social distancing has the desired effect to keep us safe.

Here's a haiku:

Keep your distance, please.
I'm in my personal space,
You must stay in yours.

Thanks for reading, keep safe, Pam x


3 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

Thanks for this Pam. That looks a good spot for self-isolating :-)

I've been out up and down the prom every day in lieu of going to the gym and apart from Sunday (when loads of people piled into town) it's been fairly deserted and people are keeping well apart there. I can't speak for the shops in the town centre.

The good news is there are still only 6 confirmed cases (up from 5 a few days ago) so maybe the plan is working (or it could be too early to say). Anyway, stay safe in your retreat.

Rochelle said...

That looks idyllic!

F O'Jay said...

I hope you're enjoying the stunning weather. That's a bonus at least.