written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Thursday 21 May 2020

Thirsty work - put the kettle on

My parents took their first pub when I was four, moving from a family house to a large apartment over the public area. I well remember the first time I tasted a Coca Cola - the glass bottle was a work of art and the contents, particularly unusual and  refreshing, especially when ice cold. After several weeks, my Dad performed and experiment on the bar top. He put a dirty old penny  into a glass of Coke. We all watched as the liquid bubbled and completely cleaned the coin until it sparkled. I can honestly say that that I have rarely partaken since. God knows what it does to your insides.

As  a young girl I would watch my two older brothers and their mates have pint drinking contests. When the bar was closed in the afternoons, I would pour myself  a pint of lemonade  and practice drinking it down in one.  The boys were very surprised that I could soon do this with a pint of lager - it was far less fizzy than pop of course.

In my twenties, I worked as an entertaining Bluecoat for Pontins, taking part in several musical productions each week.  One night we had a Wild West show. We did the usual can-can and then I dressed up as Annie Oakley to perform 'I'm  just a girl who can't say no'. Later in the evening, there was a pint-drinking competition in the bar and I would be pitted against a few willing gentlemen. The glasses of beer would be placed on the floor in front of us. When the whistle blew we would bend down to pick up the glass. I was at the front and as I bent over, my stocking tops would be in full view. Naturally, the gentlemen behind me would be distracted, giving me the edge. I usually won the contest. I will never forget one occasion, when a woman in the audience stormed over to me and shouted, "You can't beat my husband at drinking, he does it for a living". I found that so amusing.

So how about thirsty work, this week's blog theme?  A few years ago, I attended a ball at Blackpool Tower. I danced all night and towards the end of the evening, I and some friends ordered a pot of tea. It was hot, strong and wonderfully refreshing. Probably the best cup of tea I have ever drunk. Cheers.



A Nice Cup Of Tea

I like a nice cup of tea in the morning,
just to start the day you see
and at half past eleven,
my idea of heaven is a nice cup of tea.

I like tea when I'm thirsty at dinner
and a nice cup of tea with my tea.
Then about this time of night,
there is nothing like the sight
of a nice cup of tea.

Adele.

4 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

My Dad used to sing that to my Mum when he brought her a cup of tea in bed every morning. (It used to make me cringe!)

Is it a Gracie Fields thing? Was there a bit that went "and when it's getting late almost anything can wait for a nice cup of tea"? That's my recollection and I always thought it was a bit risqué :-)

Billy Banter said...

And are there chimpanzees still for tea? :)

Bickerstaffe said...

Thanks. The blog amused me. My folks had a version of the Cup of Tea song by Binnie Hale (pre-war comedy actress from Liverpool). You can probably find her singing it out in the internet somewhere. Everything seems to be online these days.

Rochelle said...

Ha ha. Coca Cola is the devil's medicine. I would never let my children drink the stuff.