written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 26 September 2020

Face Furniture

This is very bad! Six months after we first went into Covid-19-induced lockdown, the jewel of the north finds itself in lockdown again, as of midnight just passed. Not what we had in mind after all the steps we've taken and impositions we've accepted to help the country get this pandemic under control. SNAFU is the apt acronym, I think, this tantalisingly sunny late September morning. I could go off on one, but I had a blog mapped out in mind, so I'll brew up a second damned fine cup of coffee and stick to the A plan.

There have been some great blogs this week on the allotted theme of sideboards, anecdotal, informative posts about heavy pieces of dining-room furniture. I thought of following suite - that would have been the G Plan - but then decided to take the etymological road less-travelled. So guess what, kids? This post is going to concern itself primarily with men's facial hair.

American English may be making a 21st century bid for ubiquity, but I remember when sideburns were called sideboards by any self-respecting British hirsute with a decent set of face furniture. 

As uppity youths of post-war Britain intent on forging an identity of our own and kicking against square norms, when our parents, schools, workplaces banned us from growing long hair or beards, sideboards (aka sidies) became our rebellious frontier, our badge of allegiance to youth revolution. The longer and thicker we could get away with, the more kudos to the wearer. Our idols, Presley, the Beatles, any half-way famous Tom, Dick or Harriet (more on that later), aped and egged us on.

Some claim that sideboards is a corruption of sidebeards, but I think that's over-fanciful and rather nonsensical; others champion sideborders, which may have a greater claim to legitimacy. But I think they were always just sideboards, whether as a direct allusion to the pieces of furniture they resembled or because both they and the furniture were board-shaped and on the side(s) - simplest explanation fits.

I grew my own sideboards just a far down my face as I could get away with at school in the 1960s. Then as soon as I escpaped the institution I let them meet in the middle and I've worn a beard ever since, except for a brief (three month) period in the late 1970s when I shaved it off to appear as Mack the Knife in the Threepenny Opera.

Sideboards, whether neat, sculpted, bushy or plain outrageous, are still popular to this day as a means of establishing a sense of facial identity, and that goes for women as well as men in this age of follicle equality.


As for the American term sideburns, supposedly derived from a Civil War General Ambrose Burnside famed for his sideboards, that's just an example of 'not invented here' syndrome. Sideboards came first and deserve to live longest in common usage. Could it be a campaigning issue under the 'make Britain great again umbrella'? Come on Boris, grow a pair! (You know I'm joking, right?)

And so to the new poem this week, which has almost exactly nothing to do with any of the foregoing, except in tenuous concept. It's a bit of a mystery-tale based on purported accounts of a temporal fault-line in Liverpool into which people occasionally disappear, like items into a sideboard, never to be seen again. If you want to know more, google Bold Street Time Slip. It's another narrative poem of sorts. I don't seem to be able to break free of them at the moment. Anyway, I hope you'll dig it.

Bold Street Time Slip
No one particulary noticed
just another lively gaggle
of teenage royalty, children
of the nanny state stepping out
high on sunshine and wine,
joking denim-clad lads in tow
with mini-skirted wenches
boldly claiming Bold Street
for their own, Saturday noon,
until suddenly they weren't.

It was a queer thing. Few
saw them slip from view
right outside the tobacconist's,
leaving a hint of patchouli
and sex in the air, no more.

Like they walked though
a wall that wasn't there,
said one old biddy. You
couldn't trust her eyes.
I heard a scream said a kid
out shopping with his mum
and dad who never did.
And that was that. Except
for the fact they were gone.

An unsolved mystery still,
they weren't the first to go
and likely will not be the last.
Tomorrow never knows!

Thanks for reading. Mind how you go, too. S ;-)

33 comments:

Jeanie Buckingham said...

Both interesting and hairy ... I must be careful how I walk down, or up, Bold Street ... am almost inspired to write a poem about a hairy sideboard, horse-hair perhaps, what character would that give it ...

Rod Downey said...

Very enjoyable Steve. I would have put money on your not writing about dining-room storage...and I dug the poem :)

Mac Southey said...

Sorry to hear Blackpool is back in lockdown. I liked the swerve on sideboards - I've always called them that. Also, really enjoyed the Bold Street poem. Stay positive, stay safe up there.

Nigella D said...

Women with sideboards? No - just no! Apart from that, another thoroughly entertaining read and a great spooky poem. Stay safe by the sea. x

Phil Drabble said...

My sanity is restored, I thought I'd dreamt up the term 'sideboards' for sideburns! 😬

CI66Y said...

Always sideboards Steve! One of the privileges of being a prefect at school was being allowed to sport a pair of well-groomed sidies. It made us look more like men than boys. I really enjoyed your poem and liked the topographical Beatles quote of the last line. Very good indeed. 👍

Deke Hughes said...

We're going backwards with this pandemic. Half of Wales in lockdown again now. Online trade has been keeping the bookshop going but Amazon has got it stacked against independents. Sorry for my Sunday morning moan. I enjoyed your latest blog and poem. It's a while since I was up Liverpool way but when I go again I'll take a stroll along Bold Street :)

Bill Parry said...

Good stuff, Steve. My Mum told me about the Bold Street strangeness, which she had no difficulty accepting. Mind you, if I found myself transported to 1967, there's no way I'd be heading back to this time! (But what happens when you meet your younger self?)

Rochelle said...

So sorry to hear you are in lockdown again. I have a horrible feeling we will all be there soon and it's a far more gloomy prospect with winter looming. Anyway, I enjoyed your hairy blog. I'd forgotten how very handsome Elvis Presley was! I love your poem too, its flow of ideas and language.

Boz said...

That's a fantastic expression, face furniture! Great timeslip poem too. I've lived here all my life and never heard tell, so plan to google as suggested. Stay positive la!

Robert Harries said...

I love some of your lines. "Children of the nanny state stepping out high on sunshine and wine' is brilliant. Of course nowadays they are more at risk from Coronavirus!

Jhilmil said...

Lovely.

Anonymous said...

That was a fun take on the topic and I enjoyed your poem. 👍👍👍

Peter Fountain said...

That was a good read Steve and I enjoyed the poem. I'll definitely google for more info on the timeslip. Stay safe.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

I hadn't really thought about this before. I suppose most people talk about sideburns nowadays when they might once have said sideboards. Of course the jocular vernacular in Oz is face fungus. I liked your poem, it reminded me of that other spooky one about the child sacrifice...the Tell? Earlier this month 9 was reporting zero new Covid cases in Brisbane. Fingers crossed. I don't want to go through that shit again thank you!

Jay Henderson said...

The spooky Bold Street Timeslip thing: I've read various accounts over the years of people finding themselves slipping into the recent past briefly (to shops that are no longer there), even seeing strange vehicles from the future, but I wasn't aware anyone had ever disappeared for good. Are you engaged in extending the myth here Steve with your intriguing poem?

Grant Trescothick said...

I never saw the attraction of masses of facial hair, never had sidies or a beard. All that grooming! I guess I'm just lazy. I liked your poem though, some great lines and a neat Beatley reference at the close. 👍

Tom Shaw said...

Ha ha buddy, you know where I'm gonna come down on this one, with my brothers in the sideburn nation :) It's about the only thing the American people might all agree on right now! Did you watch Biden v Trump? What a horrorshow man. Got a spare timeslip?

Nick Ball said...

That's an interesting gallery of sideboard portraiture. I remember being impressed by George Best's thick sideboards when I was a kid, even painted sidies on one of my subbuteo Man U players :)

Charlotte Mullins said...

Love the timeslip poem Steve. Is it true that people have disappeared there? Or is that pure imaginarium?

Steve Rowland said...

Update for Jay and Charlotte: I have to confess the poet in me was let out on licence. Intriguing stories of time-slip phenomena on Bold Street are legion and stretch back decades, but as far as I'm aware no one has ever vanished for good (or bad) as a result. That was my own embellishment, for effect.

Jen McDonagh said...

My favourite Bold Street story is of the woman who went into Mothercare to buy some things and when she went to pay with her credit card the staff had no idea what it was - she'd slipped back momentarily into a pre-plastic incarnation of the store (mid-1960s?)

Carey Jones said...

Why I like these blogs so much is because you write with great intelligence about things that are far from the mainstream and often in the same post - sideboards and timeslips for instance. I hadn't really considered sideboards since growing them as proof of manhood back in the day and they never survived beyond my late twenties. I don't know whether it's lazier to be clean-shaven or hirsute (as you put it) for it seems to me that what you save on shaving time you more than reinvest in grooming time. The poem? Fab! The whole idea of a timewarp in a modern city is intrigung and I shall read more online as you suggest. Stay safe Steve ane keep the entertaining posts coming. 👍👍👍

Harry Lennon said...

That's a great poem on a fascinating theme. I love the tone it sets, the social observation along the way, the flow of the narrative. I wasn't wholly convinced by the last verse (the reference to spooky tour-books part) but to finish with a wholly appropriate quote from a Liverpudlian (and namesake of mine) was a winning flourish. Well done. I'll take the likes of this over a ghazal any hard day's night ;)

Unknown said...

Well done Steve.
And you can hide a lot of things in your sideboard. Even beer! Ask Chas 'n Dave...!!

Max Page said...

Duly dug! After the plague, I'm going down to Liverpool to do some time-slipping of my own. Great poetry. 👍

Penny Lockhart said...

I enjoyed your latest blog, as usual, and really like the timeslip poem. May I be so bold as to make an observation? It's about the line 'children of the nanny state'. I assume your poem is set in the 60s or early 70s (denim, mini skirts, patchouli) and yet I think nanny state only became a popular term in the Thatcher era, so strikes me as a bit of an anachronism in the poem. Maybe children of the welfare state? Just a thought.

Steve Rowland said...

Ah, Penny. Thank you for the kind words and the feedback on the poem, always greatly appreciated. You're right or course that in my mind I did set it in the mid/late 1960s.

As to the phrase nanny state, I actually did some research on it prior to writing the poem (that may susprise you) and its first wide usage came in 1965 following on from an article written by the Conservative politician Iain Macleod when he was editor of the Spectator. Therefore it's in the poem on merit as a contemporary reference point and one that to my mind serves purpose far better than childern of the welfare state might have done ;-)

Jon Cromwell said...

Always sideboards, I agree. You've chosen some fine specimens of furry face furniture there (LOL). As for your poem, I really enjoyed it. Thank you.

Brad Gekowski said...

That's a rogues' gallery of facial hairiness! Great spooky poem.

firoz mahmud said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
firoz mahmud said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
firoz mahmud said...
This comment has been removed by the author.