written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 24 July 2021

Sestina

23:30:00 Posted by Steve Rowland , , , , , 30 comments
Really? I'm supposed to write about one of the most complex of poetic forms, the sestina , on this, the hottest Saturday of the hottest week of the year? That's a tall order. And compose a sestina as well? Ha ha, like that's ever going to happen! How about I write about Retsina instead - cold, refreshing wine of Greek vine and pine - that's close enough, isn't it? Only a couple of letters adrift, and it rhymes. We'll all be much happier that way. (Heatstroke of genius!) Do we have a deal? I'll just refill my glass...

On my first visit to dusty Crete (nearly fifty years ago now) I was often told the story of how Retsina originated. The popular myth was that the ancient Greeks needed all the oak available to build ships for their nautical excursions against the Persians, Spartans or Trojans, (the enemy varied with the telling), as a consequence of which they started storing their wine in barrels made from pine instead of barrels made from oak, and the wine thereby took on a resinated flavour. All fanciful nonsense, of course. Wine wasn't kept in barrels in times BC. (Barrels were a Roman invention, around 200 AD.) In ancient Greek times wine was kept in large pottery storage jars or amphorae. And resinated wine didn't really exist in BC either, being a much more recent invention, probably around the first century AD.

The most likely explanation for its original popularity dates back to the Roman occupation of Greece some two thousand years ago, when the locals discovered that the Romans didn't like Greek wine that came from amphorae that had been sealed with pine resin. Such wine took on a slightly bitter 'turpentine' taste that didn't suit the Roman palate. It's certainly an acquired taste, one which the incentivised Greeks embraced. Very soon the practice of using pine resin to seal jars of white wine became surprisingly widespread throughout occupied Greece. To me, it's a distinct and lovely taste, unique to and redolent of that wonderful country.

Retsina is traditionally made with the Greek Savatiano grape, sometimes blended with Assyrtiko and Rhoditis varieties. It is made in the same manner as other white or rose wines except for the essential addition of small pieces of Aleppo pine resin which are added to the must during fermentation. It should be drunk very cold on a hot day with a good view and a plate of meze.


How are we doing? The Retsina is going down a treat, by the way, just what one needs in the jewel of the north on a scorcher like this. As for a sestina, at six verses of six lines each plus a three line envoi, all far too long to contemplate in the present climate. And that's without the added complication that the six words that end the lines of the first verse then have to end the lines of the other five verses as well but in a different and pre-set order each time: 1/2/3/4/5/6 then 6/1/5/2/4/3, 3/6/4/1/2/5, 5/3/2/6/1/4, 4/5/1/3/6/2, 2/4/6/5/3/1. The only bonus, if it is one, is that none of this has to rhyme. Most sestinas I've come across have struggled to sound unforced. I sense I'm gaining a little sympathy now and your disappointment is quickly ebbing away. Cheers! Good Retsina can be purchased at most decent supermarkets, plus Lidl during Greek week.

I'll tell you what I'll do, as I'm a little embarrassed (if I'm honest) about wriggling out of the task in the way that I've done. I'll leave you with the three-line envoi today, and the promise that some time when it's not the hottest Saturday of the hottest week of the year, the rest of the sestina will follow.

Retsina (Envoi)
Enraptured with cool resin-laden wines,
Timeless and tideless our golden minds
Shimmer in the glowing of the moment.

Thanks for reading, enjoy the heatwave. S ;-)

30 comments:

Miriam Fife said...

Yes, well done and thanks. The envoi is lovely.

Binty said...

Cool. You're on a promise :)

Mac Southey said...

Good swerve, Steve, and entertaining as ever - plus a very cool pic. I almost wish I liked retsina (LOL).

Anne Ward said...

I tried a little wine called The Shy Pig. It's ok.

Matt West said...

That seems a fair cop out to me. Thanks for the retsina blog. Cheers pal.

Dani Merakli said...

As a retsina lover, I fully commend your decision to regale us with insightful prose about a fabulous wine; that sestina stuff looks far too complicated. Well done Steve.

Anonymous said...

You should have been in advertising.

Nigella D said...

Nicely turned as ever. Your blogs usually make me smile :)

Rod Downey said...

Ha ha, I loved the blog, very funny subverting of theme; and I've tried retsina a few times but never took to it (or it to me) though there are lots of other fine Greek wines that I enjoy. Your three-line envoi is lovely and I'm sure one day you'll produce a sestina worthy of that denouement.

Anonymous said...

Excellent retsina knowledge, Mr R.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

We were told that story about the ships and the shortage of oak barrels when we were in Greece. I always thought it was true until now. Just goes to show. I hope your hot is not the sort of superhot they had in Canada a few weeks back. World goes mad, eh? Stay well.

Δήμητρα Καραγεώργου said...

💙💙💙

Billy Banter said...

I was hoping for a sestina!😂 😂 😂

Penny Lockhart said...

With retsina it has to be right place and right time for me (warm evening, Greek taverna). I'd never think of buying it to drink at home as you do. I like what you've evoked with your envoi (written under the influence?).

Steve Rowland said...

By my own admission, Penny - though that's not why I didn't write a sestina ;-)

Boz said...

That resinated, la :)

Laxmiben Hirani said...

I love it! ❤️
I had a little white wine with a good female friend in my very young days but not a clubbing girl then or now and was of legal age and it got to my head, and had to walk straight in front of my parents and the next day had a massive hangover!! My parents had doubts but I got away with it by saying its one of my migraines!

Dan Ewers said...

To be fair, writing a sestina does sound like a tall challenge for a hot day :)

Ross Madden said...

Cheers Steve! Not as hot as when you wrote it, but thanks for sparing us the sestina (on this occasion). How is new normal going in the jewel of the north? Covid rates look high.

Lisa Topalidou said...

Ah, you make me homesick for retsina and Kefalonia.

Will Moore said...

Retsina is lovely, though I agree with one commentator that it doesn’t ”travel” terribly well, like a lot of drinks enjoyed on holiday, bought enthusiastically, and then left to gather dust.

Flloydwith2Ells said...

You're right about Retsina being an acquired taste. It took me about 3 hours in a cafe on the Plaka with friends, being treated to jug after jug of Retsina by the patriarch of the family at the next table. That was 1966.

As for your Sestina, rather you than me, mate!

Terry Quinn Poetry UK said...

Very informative and interesting article. Not my cup of tea from the sound of it. I think you will be reminded about that sestina.

Anonymous said...

Mr R, you have a lot to answer for. I went to Lidl, I found retsina and we drank it very cold for lunch today. Now I'm a convert.

Malcolm Drysdale said...

I'll drink retsina if it's the only thing available, which has sometimes been the case in little Greek villages, but I'm not a big fan I'm afraid.

Bruce Paley said...

That was very cheeky of you Steve, but as informative and wonderfully written as usual. The picture is certainly thirst-making.

Seb Politov said...

I'll raise a glass to you for that one ;)

Βέρα Κλαρέβα said...

Στην υγειά σας 👍

Elena Politakis said...

Love your writings.

Kat(rina) Ellison said...

Brilliant! Such a pleasure to read writing as good as this.