written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 11 September 2021

The Circus

Spy or espionage thrillers, if well-written, make for great and absorbing reading. I've long been a fan of the works of John le Carré, probably the finest exponent, and Eric Ambler, who was an inspiration to both le Carré and Ian Fleming. Most recently I've been reading Len Deighton's novels. (Somehow they passed me by when originally published in the 1960s and 1970s.)  What I love about Deighton and  le Carré in particular is the quality of their writing, proving that genres are no barrier to literary greatness.

The protagonist of Deighton's first four novels (The IPCRESS File, Horse Under Water, Funeral In Berlin, Billion Dollar Brain) was never once given a name. Now that's an interesting gambit for a spy thriller. He worked for WOOC(P) - an acronym that even Deighton can't pin down accurately - presumably some secret department of the War Office, based in non-descript offices in Charlotte Street just north of Oxford Street. Deighton himself was a graphic artist turned newspaper columnist and author. He was never a spy but he researched meticulously as any investigative journalist would and wrote quite brilliantly.

John le Carré on the other hand (real name David Cornwell) worked for both MI5 and MI6 until the early 1960s when he, along with several other operatives, had to be retired from active service because their cover was blown by a defecting Briton. Le Carré (he adopted the pen name because the Foreign Office would not allow its employees to publish under their real identities) based his version of the Secret Intelligence Service in headquarters on Shaftesbury Avenue at Cambridge Circus - see the map below - and he always referred to the organisation as 'The Circus'; not only a good codename but one layered with ironic overtones. Interestingly, Stella Rimington, director-general of MI5 in the 1990s, has published a raft of spy novels in her own name since her retirement; presumably the nom-de-plume requirement doesn't apply to those no longer actively spooking.

I-Spy Map of London centred on 'The Circus'
Probably the most famous of le Carré's novels were those featuring intelligence officer George Smiley (Call For The Dead, A Murder of Quality, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Honourable Schoolboy, Smiley's People), especially as Smiley also transferred successfully to the big and small screens in adaptations starring a roll-call of great actors from Rupert Davies and James Mason via Alec Guinness to Denholm Elliot and Gary Oldman. Le Carré's series of novels about 'The Circus' are intelligent, intense and involving creations, written with the wit and authenticity that suggest fiction is but a thin veneer over lived experience.

Smiley the Ring Master
As with any real-life circus, there is anticipation, excitement, tension, trickery, bravura, skill and suspense to be found within the pages of any of the name-checked novels. If you've never read one, roll up, roll up. I think a splendid time is guaranteed for all. I do sometimes wonder if the subject matter appeals more to boys and men than girls and women, though I see no good reason why it should.

Here to conclude, my latest poem, extracted from the imaginarium using that most dastardly of tortures, the deadline. It appears there is no place for weakness, self or sentiment in the world of spooks. I give you... 

Sanitization (Nancy, 1963)
They say when the west is benighted, 
the east is delighted, certainly the case 
that evening when confusion reigned
in the house of the flattered bee,
a honey-trap sprung. 

There is no glamour in sleeping 
with a pistol under the pillow,
waking in adrenalin sweat with each
unfathomable creaking, the pissing
in fear over unfamiliar u-bends,
life as a cryptic, lonesome cipher.

They also say fear not the soles 
led by a duty to cosmology,
it's the heavier tread of hobnailed ideology
that kills the will to go on dissembling.
That, and what's worse, the paranoia,
led to a terse exchange in Lorraine.

Not even the ubiquitous doves
circled the square on the morning
of  twitching curtains in faceless bays
tracking invisible tails and foggy trails  
as one hot Englishwoman to be traded
in discreet fashion walked slowly
towards the car and a future unnumbed,
the edge of silence portentous
before two bullets ripped her heart
from front and back,
spinning her like a hapless top.

She bled out shot by both sides
beneath the sign of the double cross,
a merciless date with destiny
while from a watching casement 
the ringmaster sighed,
whip cracked, duty done, 
always beyond reach of reproach.

Thanks for reading. Never let the left hand know what the right is doing! S ;-)

32 comments:

Seb Politov said...

Very good that. I've not read any Eric Ambler but I remember you mentioning his name once before. I'm onto it. Great poem too. 👍

Flloyd Kennedy said...

Good read. Great poem. And I hope that wasn't a spoiler...

Nigella D said...

Loved your take on circus, loved the spy map and that's a terrific poem. I've watched spy thrillers, never read one. I think I may get a couple of titles on audible. Thanks Steve.

Binty said...

Spooktastic. 👏

Ben Templeton said...

That's very interesting. I've never read any Ambler or Deighton and the only le Carre was The Spy Who Came In From The Cold (as an English text at school). I'll give spy fiction another go on your recommendation. Enjoyed the latest poem.

Jen McDonagh said...

Most enjoyable blogging, Steve. I really like your oblique takes on themes. I've read some le Carre after I'd seen screen adaptations (Tinker Tailor etc and The Constant Gardener) and enjoyed them. I've not read any Len Deighton - always thought they were what dads on holiday read (their one book of the year) - I'm sure mine did. And I've never even heard of Eric Ambler. Maybe that's all because the appeal of spy novels is more to men than women as you mused? Your description of extracting poetry via torture made me smile and then I loved the Spooked poem. Thank you.

Deke Hughes said...

I really like the new poem Steve, your take on contemporary lyricism works for me. Very good.

Saskia Parker said...

I enjoy spy movies but I've never read any of the original novels. Where should I start? Great poem, some wonderful lines and imagery. ❤️

Ross Madden said...

Really fascinating blog Steve. Maybe those older espionage novels (e.g. Fleming and Deighton) were a bit sexist and so wouldn't appeal to women readers? Just thinking out loud. Retrospectively it could be labelled DickLit (male equivalent of ChickLit)...LOL. I enjoyed Spooked. 👏

Rochelle said...

Le Carre was always popular, Deighton less so (that's the librarian in me speaking).

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Enjoyed your spy blog and clever bleak spooky poem.

Harry Lennon said...

Yes, about time good spy novels got given the respect they deserve. Ambler and le Carré are excellent and I see Len Deighton is getting a high profile reissue this year in Penguin Modern Classics. I loved the spy map and your latest poem. Great stuff Steve.

Anonymous said...

Powerful poetry Mr R.

K. Worth said...

I read Len Deighton in the 1970s, great books.

Debbie Laing said...

I think you're right, Steve. Spy novels, like war stories, are much more a male thing when it comes to choice of reading matter, though I used to enjoy the series Spooks on TV. I thought your latest poem very good as a brief insight into that world - though I'm sure there's more going on there than I picked up on (there usually is)!

Brett Cooper said...

Thanks for an interesting read. Some good tips there (Eric Ambler one to check out for sure). Your poem was shocking in its bleakness but certainly hit the target.

Mac Southey said...

Great blog Steve. I was always a bit dismissive of spy fiction but when le Carre starting appearing in Penguin Modern Classics I thought I ought to give him a go. He writes terrific books. I'll be on to Ambler and Deighton as well. Feels like good winter reading. I didn't understand all of your poem but it reads well and is a powerful piece.

Tom Shaw said...

Hey Steve, I enjoyed this. I've read some Le Carre books but not the others you mentioned. Can I give a shout out to a couple of American thriller writers with real class? Tom Clancy and Robert Ludlum. They're my favorites. Liked your complex poem.

Gary Derbyshire said...

Appreciate the positive exposure you're giving to Ambler, Deighton and le Carré, but we've also got a fine tradition in literary thrillers that predates them all in John Buchan, Geoffrey Household and Graham Greene. Very well done with the latest 'tortured' product of the imaginarium.

Caroline Asher said...

I suspect that nothing to do with spies ever ends happily :-(

Penny Lockhart said...

I think you're right, spy fiction is for men. I can't imagine what would induce me to read it. If I'm after a thriller, I'd rather read a detective novel, they're less heavy-metal and warlike.

Jon Cromwell said...

There is a temptation to regard spy thrillers as products of the Cold War era - and Deighton and le Carré certainly documented that time well - but we're now seemingly in a new Cold War so it's highly relevant. I see the police today have finally named a third Russian in connection with the Salisbury poisonings - Denis Sergeev, the project commander.

Rachel Harrington said...

I've never read any spy novels though I have enjoyed film adaptations and used to watch Spooks. I might try something written by Stella Rimington. I thought your clever poem was suitably bleak and shocking. Well done.

Dan Francisco said...

Great atmospheric narrative poem. I like the honey-trap inversion and the sense of oppression from which there is no escape. Clever title too.

Barry O'Grady said...

Fascinating background and some ideas for my Christmas list! Great poem too. 👏

Hayden Hayden said...

Really interesting post. I've read some le Carre but not either of the others you namecheck - will take a look. I thought the poem was very cleverly done. Life must be fairly bleak for spooks (and then you die)!

terry quinn said...

Absolutely agree with your comments about the spy novel. They make the recent Booker Prize winners look like the unreadable tosh that they are.
The idea of placing the map was brilliant. Many thanks
The poem is excellent.

Natalija Drozdova said...

Thank you Steve. As good a plug for the art of spy literature as I've ever read. I'm proof that such books are enjoyed by the deadlier of the species (hope I got the quote right). I enjoyed the bleak and clever poem and smiled wryly at your sign-off.

Bickerstaffe said...

The spooks are coming... Just announced, Samlesbury in Lancashire has been chosen as the location of Britain's new £5 billion 'Cyber Force HQ, ready to lead our efforts in the digital war in cyberspace.

Jerry Miller said...

You might just have got me into reading some spy novels with that blog. What an evocative poem as well - very good.

Brendan Connors said...

What an excellent blog. I had a ton of respect for le Carré as an author and as a principled human being. He was so disillusioned with Britain in recent years and especially the disaster that was Brexit, that he applied for Irish citizenship.

Ray Shotton said...

I just want to say thank you for pointing me in the direction of Len Deighton. I'd never read any but your blog prompted me to get hold of The IPCRESS File and I enjoyed it so much I'm now onto the follow-up, Horse Under Water. Keep up the good work.