written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Wednesday 29 December 2021

Challenge

As it’s almost New Year and a time to make that resolution which next year will be a huge success, I thought I’d start off by having a quick look at where this practice began. Well, it seems that once again it’s those Babylonians who kicked things off some 4,000 years ago. At the beginning of their new year they would have a massive 12-day religious festival known as Akitu in which they crowned a new king or reaffirmed their loyalty to the reigning king. They also made promises to the gods to pay their debts and return any objects they had borrowed. If the Babylonians kept to their word, their gods would bestow favour on them for the coming year.

Nowadays, of course, it’s more a case of setting oneself a challenge. Start running, pack up smoking, lose weight, paint that wall, pick up litter in streets, start that novel, finish that novel and I’ve seen lists that go on for over sixty New Year Resolutions including Take More Breaks. So if you’d like to go and make a cup of tea, dunk a couple of biscuits then start on the next paragraph in about 15 minutes, that’s fine.


Well, as we’re readers I came across a list especially for us. I liked that idea so here is mine. The challenge is to read the following:

A book by Penguin. That’s an easy start.
A book by an author whose surname begins with B.
A book mentioned in another book.
A book about an historical event you know nothing about.
A book with a character who has a pet dog.
A winner of the Booker Prize. (Sorry).
A book with another book on the front cover.
A book with a colour in its title.
A book of poetry by a poet living in Preston.
A book set before the 18th Century.
A book to do with football.
A book set in Australia.
A book with a politician on the front cover. (Sorry again).
A book by Dickens.
A book about water.
A book about travel.
A book about cakes.
A book about train spotting.
A book about Babylonians (I’ll give you Mesopotamia as well).
A book with a mountain on the front cover.
A book related to your childhood.
A book written by a South American.
A book about chess.
A book set in the winter.
A book written by an artist.
A book related to New Years’ Eve.

I have taken it easy in my list of 26 as the original one had 52 types of book to read. I think the tricky one will be about train spotting. But I have two on my shelves. Don’t say a word.


This was my New Year’s Resolution a few years ago:

Resolution

don’t fly,
don’t drive,
vacuum regularly,

concepts my dog can’t follow
because, well, she’s a dog
and I’m human, capable of reason
even, especially, after three pints
on New Year’s Eve

and sometimes
the harder the resolution
the easier it is
while merely saying
I might eat less Green and Blacks
70% dark chocolate
made with the finest Trinitario
cocoa beans for an intense taste and
certified to Soil Association standards
for organic food and farming
has me scouring cupboards

and later
the Oxford English
where a promise is a promise
but a resolution’s a separation of components
a proposal to a meeting
or the removing of doubt
so if there’s doubt
then I’m removing it
by not making a resolution to...
I like to think that’s reason.

First published by Ink, Sweat and Tears in January 2018

Many thanks to Steve for all his work on the Blog. And a very Happy New Year to every one.

Terry Q.

8 comments:

Ross Madden said...

Great blog. That's one hell of a reading list! And a lovely witty poem. πŸ‘

Claire Booker said...

I've definitely read a book of poetry by someone who lives in Preston!!

Alistair Bradfield said...

Happy New Year. What an interesting idea. I can't remember the last time I read even 20 books in a year. Clever poem.

Kate Eggleston-Wirtz said...

Fascinating read Terry and yes, quite the list. Now this morning, got stuck into reading Songs of Innocence by Blake, mentioned in A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab. Brilliant poem as always.

Tyger Barnett said...

Is cheating allowed?... a book with a colour in its title by an author whose surname begins with B about travel with a dog in Australia? For instance? πŸ˜ƒ

Steve Rowland said...

Terrific blogging Terry. I didn't know about the Babylonian roots of New Year resolutions. I'm not making any (again) this year. Your list of books to read was intriguing, and I was tempted for a moment to draft one of my own, but my reading habits tend to me more organic, in a one-thing-inspires-another fashion.

You'll be unsurprised to learn that I keep a written list of all the books I've read (going back years) and I can retrospectively tick off pretty much every category on your 'to read' list apart from a book about cakes ;-)

I very much enjoyed your witty Resolution poem. Happy New Year to you and thanks for being a great Guest Dead Good Blogger.

Gareth Boyd Haskins said...

Good list. I plan to read more this year now I'm semi-retired. I loved the poem too.

Josh Lonsdale said...

Lovely blogging Terry, and a very funny, well-crafted poem. On to reading more this year, and to approaching life with no small measure of reason.