written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 27 April 2024

And So To Bed

I love my bed. Who doesn't? I had to leap out of it at 5.30 this morning in order to travel from Blackpool to Reading for the Seasiders' final league fixture of the football season.

The head of the bed is in the bay window of my bedroom. The house faces east, and I enjoy the way the rising sun filters through the blinds on fine mornings. I also like fresh air at night so the top windows are normally open, letting in the scent of magnolia blossom when the tree in my front garden flowers (thrice a year if I'm lucky). 


It's a king-size affair with a firm orthopaedic mattress which I turn every three months (side to side then top to bottom, always an interesting manoeuvre). I suffer from backache whenever I have to sleep in a soft or sagging bed. I have four sets of cotton bedding (pillow-cases, under-sheets and duvet covers) in blue, yellow, beige and grey, and I always mix and match them because I don't like uniformity. In cooler weather I sometimes add a striped faux-fur blanket for weight and warmth (as above). 

I've always refused to have a tv in the bedroom and never use a lap-top computer in bed. Most nights I will read a book for a while before lights out. Sometimes I listen to music. Recently I've been listening to the rain. It's actually quite soothing, when one is snug and warm. I've always slept on the left  side of the bed and on my left side, whether I'm alone or sharing. And that's all you need to know about that, really.

Having been out of the house for fifteen hours today and having watched my team just throw away the chance of reaching the end-of-season play-offs after a lazy and uninspiring performance at Reading (we were one up but eventually lost 3-2), all I want to do now is drink a glass of red wine (good for the heart, I'm told0, finish this week's poem (below), put the blog to bed and head upstairs to the comfort of my own. Maybe I'll dream about Blackpool actually winning the game and a promotion that will now have to wait until the next campaign. Perhaps I'll end up dreaming about my ex-wife. Cue...

Fair Copy
Roses, she said,
bed me with passion, with petals,
with perfume. Show me
romance is not dead...

so naturally I did
for she was a loving soul
and there were many tender
and electrifying nights, but

I remember that note
with the hand-written quotation
and I've wondered for an age 
was it seduction by rote?

Once she became my wife
I grew increasingly certain
she'd never actually read a page
of Catullus in her life.


Thanks for reading. Sleep well peeps, S ;-)

23 comments:

Binty said...

Thanks for sharing your bed (lol). Sorry your team lost. I love the wry humour in your poem.

margaret brett said...

shame about the game The poem is whimsical and sweet with your with your wry twist Love reading your stuff .

Jess Norman said...

I agree it's a pleasure to lie in bed and listen to the rain. That looks like a fine bed, to be fair, lots of room to move around in. I'm supposing from the poem that romance didn't last? That's a pity.

Nicci Haralambous said...

Bed is the place! 🙂

CI66Y said...

All very tasteful by the look of it. Not a hint of tangerine! Sorry you didn't make the play-offs. You've probably seen that we will, barring a complete meltdown against Birmingham on Saturday. I enjoyed your Fair Copy poem. Your second marriage certainly gave you bags of material! Stay bright.

Nigella D said...

Oh the wiles of woman. 😉

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this. Your bedroom wallpaper is very Blackpool. Loved the amorous but slightly acerbic poem.

Billy Banter said...

Didn't Zebedee say this?

Ben Templeton said...

Good for you putting the head of your bed into the bay. Most people would stick a dressing table in there and block out half the light! Well done with the cleverly crafted poem.

Steve Rowland said...

No BB. Zebedee said "Time for bed" I believe. "And so to bed" is attributed to the diarist Samuel Pepys. It's how he often signed off his dairy entries. That's why I signed off this blog with "Thanks for reading. Sleep well peeps..." but perhaps I was being overly subtle?

Rochelle said...

One of the advantages of being retired and living on my own is that if the morning looks horrid I can just spend extra hours in bed, listen to the rain or the radio, or read a book. It's a cosy and comforting place. But I make it a rule never to stay there all day. It's usually hunger gets me out of it! Your poem made me smile. It all started so well.

Peter Fountain said...

Cool decor, excellent poem. Sorry about your footie team. The Posh battle on.

Jen McDonagh said...

Looks nice, your bedroom. I'm totally with you on no tv, laptops or phones. It's a place to get away from all that stimulus. We don't even have a radio in ours, just a CD player that we rarely use. I can't remember the last time we turned our mattress though! Methinks you're being a bit harsh on your 'loving soul' - I mean how many people have actually read Catullus?

Anonymous said...

The trials and tribulations of the die hard football fan.

terry quinn said...

Amazing wallpaper.

You can have a nice trip to Birmingham next season.

That is a very good poem.

Seb Politov said...

Do you remember the craze for not having a bed at all, just a mattress on the floor? It's a great poem.

Gemma Gray said...

I like the look of your bed/room. And I enjoyed your poem. Was she blonde. I'm guessing, from Fair Copy. I wouldn't have got the Pepys (peeps) connection if you hadn't pointed it out.

Writer21 said...

Love the last verse of your poem!

Matt West said...

You're right about the Reading game. What a crock. Half that Blackpool team would struggle to get out of bed in the morning! We need big changes ready for next season pal.

Rod Downey said...

That's a fine bed and I know what you mean about fresh air at night. Sorry Blackpool didn't quite rise to the occasion this time. I thought they would, it's what they do. Great poem though. 👍

Saskia Parker said...

If a lady is allowed to say she likes your bedroom - I like your bedroom! And the poem and sprinkled rose petals.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

I love that wallpaper, and of course your worldly-wise poem.

Cynthia K. said...

I enjoyed your ‘ Fair Copy’ poem and blog and am with you on not having TV or computers in the sanctuary of the bedroom.