written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 6 July 2024

Belief

Oh boy! This will either be a very long blog or a very short one. (Tosses coin.) Okay, you lucky people, I'm going to be brief because you really didn't want the essay, did you? Not on the day that Sir Keir Starmer will be making his first big speech as the new Labour Prime Minister of the UK. Not on the day when England will be taking on Switzerland for a place in the semi-finals of Euro 2024. Just believe, dudes!

My old Dad used to reprove me (gently enough I might add) for being "nihilistic". He was devoutly religious, a Methodist minister no less, and my rejection of religious belief must surely have upset him, though I found his accusation strange. It was certainly unfounded, for Nihilists broadly believe that morality is meaningless, knowledge is worthless, life is pointless and I strongly disagree on all three counts. (By the way, you might read Turgenev's novel 'Fathers and Sons' for background.)

And while I reject the rigidly literal and organisational aspects of most religious belief systems, I don't necessarily dismiss the moral precepts. There are a lot of sound ideas in Christianity, Hinduism and Buddhism in particular that I think I've incorporated into my personal belief system over the years.

Saṃsāra, the karmic wheel
However, I promised you brevity, so suffice to say I believe we are all wanderers through our life on Earth, searching for fulfilment and happiness, and if we can be caring and compassionate towards each other and our planetary home as we go on our way, the better it will be for everyone.

I'll leave you with my latest poem. I woke up this morning with the concept for it rolling around in the brainbox. I'm not sure quite why, except maybe it was triggered by Anne's blog earlier in the week about Belief In The Armed Services, coupled with the fact that I'm currently reading an excellent thriller by Anthony Price, 'Other Paths To Glory', about something that happened during the battle of the Somme in 1916. By the way, Price's novel was shortlisted for the Dagger of Daggers Award for the best crime novel of the last fifty years. Anyway, here it is, a rather curious creation - and possibly not a lot to do with belief ! I hope you'll enjoy it regardless.

Whose Army Is It Anyway?
Bear with me, citizens.
I woke up puzzling this conundrum
though don't ask me me to explain why
or how my brain works.
What choice have I but to believe
in its mysterious ways?

We have a Royal Navy founded in 1546
by charter of the eighth King Henry.
That was after the loss of his Mary Rose
and all who sank in her.

It's known as the Senior Service.
I remember the cigarette brand
from my youth, unfiltered and so strong
our brains dizzied to the point
of nearly passing out when we tried them
just because they were James Bond's
sophisticated smoke of choice. 

We have a Royal Air Force founded in 1918
by charter of the fifth King George.
It's the second oldest in the world,
a month younger than that of Finland.

Its motto is Per Ardua ad Astra -
through adversity to the stars - 
though I thought when studying Latin
that Per Atmosphaera ad Astra 
would literally have made more sense.

And we were mad for planes as kids,
spotted them at Heathrow,
assembled Airfix kits of the RAF's finest
and got a bit brain dizzy from the glue.
I even painted the ceiling sky blue
and pinned the models dangling down
as if they flew.

But here's the thing. If our fighting forces
are Royal by air and sea, why isn't the army too?










If you know the reason, please advise. And come on England!
Thanks for reading, S ;-)

6 comments:

terry quinn said...

I didn't see that question at the end coming. What a belter. I don't know.

I'll get that Anthony Price book.

Matt West said...

You was right about England - Switzerland. Can we do the Dutch in normal time or will Southgate set up up like Critchley again?

Amber Molloy said...

I love the Tibetan Wheel poster, used to have that on my bedroom wall back in the 1980s. And your poem was fun. I don't know the answer to the puzzle though.

Grant Trescothick said...

Maybe the army wasn't created via a royal charter? Just guessing. It's been around the longest I suspect. Did Cromwell found it? Regardless, I enjoyed your poem...and Per Atmosphaera ad Astra made me chuckle.

Anonymous said...

Your father would probably have approved of your personal belief system. I liked your poem and I've no idea why we don't have the Royal Army.

Miriam Fife said...

And there you have it, a poem out of seemingly nothing. You've quite the talent. I don't know what the answer is to the conundrum, but it will worry me now!