written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 31 August 2024

Babies

21:49:00 Posted by Steve Rowland , , , , 7 comments
Many of us have had them, mostly women, not very many men. We've played our part though, without which etc. I'm talking, of course, about babies

They are beautiful miracles, conceived in love (mine certainly were) if they're lucky. They are our privilege and duty to nurture and raise, and a source of joy if we're lucky (I certainly have been). 


There's not much more I want to say, except that being a father of two beautiful daughters has been and continues to be one of the most fulfilling experiences. It's all about what Dylan termed "a tight connection to the heart" I imagine every parent must feel that way. I hope so. I'm proud of how my babies have turned out.

I wasn't going to blog today, but some of my recent posts have been lengthy, intense and serious affairs addressing the woes of the world, so I figured I'd just share a few short, upbeat observations and emanate a little positivity.


I've not written a new poem and the baby-related poems I researched sound so greeting-card saccharine that I can't bear to quote any. But I will leave you with this little ditty from Paul Kantner's first solo album, 'Blows Against The Empire'. Click on the song title to play the tune. It's called The Baby Tree.

Thanks for reading, S ;-)

7 comments:

Stu Hodges said...

Lovely girls, Steve. And I'd forgotten Kantner played banjo on that song - so long since I heard it. A Sunday morning treat.

Pam Winning said...

Lovely daughters makes for a great blog. I'll be singing "When You're the Father of Girls" for the rest of the weekend. 🙂

Billy Banter said...

Wait! Has a man EVER given birth? Or are you just making mischief? Apart from that, yes a nice uplifting blog, and lovely kids.

Anonymous said...

Lovely young ladies - enjoyed the song - not familiar with it :)

May Ling said...

What a lovely blog. You have beautiful daughters.

Dan Francisco said...

What a pair of sweeties. And that Kantner song by Rosalie Sorrels I recall.

terry quinn said...

Lovely article.