written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 7 September 2024

I Can't Believe It's Not AI

Boy, have I had some fun this week, playing with poetry generation software in pursuance of today's AI blog! What's the old adage? I've suffered so that you don't have to, or something similar.

Like a devoted Which? tester, I've put half a dozen AI write-a-poem resources through their paces on your behalf. 
All of the AI generators provided a basic length option for a short, medium or long poem. Most allowed for selecting the level of creativity, basically low, medium or high. Most offered a variety of forms such as blank verse, free verse, haiku, sestina, sonnet, villanelle et cetera. And of course they all required a prompt or set of key words to establish thematic content.

I made the same request of them all: write a medium length, free verse poem of average complexity. As for the prompt, I tried three iterations with each package. The first was simply 'breastfeeding at night', a hangover from my blogging about babies last week, but suitably off-the-wall as a topic. Three of the generators were happy to write a poem to that prompt but three asked for more input. I upped the stakes to 'a mother breastfeeds her baby at night' and got five poems, three of them not substantially different from the first set. Still engine six was holding out. Could I eventually expect great things there? For a final challenge, I threw down this intriguing and slightly surreal variant:: 'Mona Lisa breastfeeds her baby at nightfall'. Fair enough? I thought so, and they must have concurred, for all six poetry engines complied. 

Monai Lisai by Leonairdo dai Vincai
At the outset, I wasn't sure what to expect, as I'd never encountered AI-generated poetry before. On the whole I was very happy with the results, delighted really. Not because their poems were any good, quite the opposite in fact. It reassured me somewhat that although AI may be posing a significant challenge in the arena of the visual arts (take the example above), when it comes to the power of emotion, ideas, imagery and thought expressed in the written medium, it's got a long way to go.

I'll quote you some samples from my road-test so you can form your own opinions. I'll also share the best (least worst) of the six final attempts before rounding today's blog out with my own latest from the imaginarium. 

I must admit I was a little suspicious when in round one all three generators came back with exactly the same opening lines: "In the quiet of the night/ A mother holds her baby tight..." Are all these engines somehow close-coupled, drawing from the same well of trite phrases?

Round two gave me "In a mother's warm embrace/ A baby finds a special place...", plus the slightly more compelling "In the hushed embrace of twilight/ With shadows draping softly..." and this absolute stunner: "In the quite hush of the early dawn/ A mother cradles her precious spawn..." (I'm still laughing as I re-type that couplet.) I'd specified free verse, but disappointingly six out of the eight poems generated so far used rhyming couplets in four line stanzas. Average complexity? I double-checked that I hadn't selected the low option by mistake. 

Let me share a few more couplets to illustrate just how formulaic and twee most of this was: "The milk that flows from Mother's breast/ Is nature's way of giving the best..." and "Breastfeeding, a bond so sweet,/ Nourishing baby with milk so neat..."  Or how about "As baby falls into a contented slumber/ Mother gazes down at her precious bundle..." and "In the silence of the morning dew/ Mother and baby forever true." I'm sure you'd rather I didn't go on. After all, I did say I'd suffered so you don't have to. Even so, the cliched, platitudinous, prosaic nature of the sentimental verse served up was rather shocking.

Obliquely gratuitous AI by Black Lime feat. Wet Nurse
By the time Mona Lisa entered the fray, things got  a little less predictable, but not by much. How about this for a classic opening? "In a cosy room in the heart of the Louvre/ Mona Lisa sits, her baby she soothes...", or this not so subtle variation: "In a quiet corner of the Louvre/ Mona Lisa sits with a serene smile..."? Naturally there were a few derivative references to "A timeless portrait of motherly grace..." and "Defying the ages with each tender gaze/ A portrait of love forever framed..." Given that Leonardo's portrait of Mona Lisa doesn't feature a child, let alone one being breast-fed, I was gratified to read that five of the poetry engines managed to make the imaginative leap with me and only one of the six in the final round made no reference to breastfeeding at all. 

Here then is the best (or more accurately least worst) of those poems from the final round, just edging it because it avoids rhyming couplets and any mention of the Louvre! 😏

In the quiet of the night, a mother sits
With her precious child at her breast
Mona Lisa, with her enigmatic smile
Nourishing her babe with love and grace

Her eyes gaze down upon her little one
Feeling the warmth of their connection
As the moonlight gently bathes them in its glow
A tender moment frozen in time

The soft sounds of suckling fill the room
A lullaby of life and love
The bond between mother and child
Unbreakable, unyielding, pure

Mona Lisa's hand cradles her baby's head
Fingers tracing delicate patterns
A mother's touch, so gentle, so soothing
A comfort unlike any other

The shadows dance across the room
As the night wears on
But Mona Lisa sits, unmoving
Lost in the beauty of motherhood

Her child drifts off to sleep at last
Its little hand still grasping hers
And Mona Lisa smiles, content
In the knowledge that she is enough

For in this quiet moment, in this stillness
She is everything her child needs
A mother, a protector, a source of love
Mona Lisa, breastfeeding her baby at night.

                                               A.I. Edit-Pad Poet, September 2024

Before we get to my poem. a bit of back story. Leonardo da Vinci's portrait of Mona Lisa is possibly the most famous in the world, a reputation greatly enhanced by the scandal of its theft from the Louvre by Vincenzo Peruggia in 1911. It was recovered and he was arrested two years later when he took it back to Florence and tried to sell it to an art dealer. It is certainly the most copied, caricatured and artfully misrepresented portrait in history - and that's even before AI got in on the act.

It was painted early in the 16th century (the Cinquecento) in Florence. The subject is Lisa del Giocondo. In Italian it is known as variously as Monna Lisa (Monna being a derivative of Madonna) and not Mona (which is Italian slang for a lady's private parts), or La Giaconda, meaning the the happy one, a play on Lisa's  surname.

Lisa was born in 1479 and was married at fifteen to a man twice her age (not unusual at that time). In six years she bore him six children, two of whom died shortly after birth. Her husband Francesco commissioned the portrait in 1503 to celebrate the birth of the couple's second son Andrea and their move up market into the fashionable Casa Grande in Florence. 

Leonardo made several sketches for the portrait and may have worked on two versions of the painting between 1503  and 1506, but he never delivered the finished article to the family. He took the portrait with him when he left his homeland for France in 1515 and after his death, King Francis I acquired the painting for the French nation, which is why it hangs in the Louvre today with an insurance valuation of $1 billion.

I've taken a few liberties with historical facts and social conventions as I imagine quite a confidential (though not improper) relationship might have developed between the artist in his mid-life period and his subject, the young mother with her new born son.     

Breastfeeding Mona Lisa
My treasured Lisa, be reassured
no one need know a while
the secret of your stolen smile.

I measured out your form
in scant sketches with my arthritic hands,
(they held your scent for years)

while you in three-quarter profile
breastfed the second son to light your eyes
and spoke to me in all modesty

about the intense joy of suckling
and how the latch released 
such a bond of fondness, 

an overwhelming urge to love 
the tiny form with clutching hands
and anxious brow

that all the pains of birth and loss
of other babies were as nothing
in those moments of milky communion.

Of course when I clothed your contours
in decorous hues of blues and browns
I did so in remembrance of fullness,

that pale beauty of motherhood,
your gentle, unassuming exhibitionism.
But no one will guess the truth

until we both are gone. Forgive me,
I cannot bear to part 
with how I have rendered you,

with how I remember you. 
But life is short and art lasts longer.
One day you may be hung

on walls for all to wonder 
at the reason for your enigmatic gaze.
And then perhaps some woman

in those future days will see
the invisible baby in your arms
and know the cause of your serenity.


 











Thanks for reading, the real S ;-)

19 comments:

Charlotte Mullins said...

A fascinating exercise and yours is a strange but rather lovely poem.

Anonymous said...

You're a bit of a rogue, Mr R.

Steven J Pemberton said...

The AI vendors evidently think the only people who make money out of poetry (and hence the only ones worth competing with) are those who write verses for greetings cards.

terry quinn said...

I had to rush through the first half of the blog. The examples of AI poetry were truly awful but as you say very encouraging to us.
Interesting history of Mona Lisa.
Enjoyed the poem.

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy reading your blogs. Sorry I've never commented before but I saw your appeal for feedback so let me say I found this both amusing and instructive. When AI can throw out lines like "A mother cradles her precious spawn" then real poets have got nothing to fear! And I'm intrigued why LdV never delivered the portrait to the Giocondo family but took it with him even when he moved to France. Maybe there's something in your poetic theory? John Dixon.

Brett Cooper said...

Cynical me suspects AI is a smart and greedy monster and the more we feed it the cleverer it gets. That may be OK in some fields but not in creative writing.

Harry Lennon said...

I like the Which? tester analogy. Wonder what AI Poet would have made of a request for long, complicated haiku or a short, simple sestina? Actually, the full AI poem you shared was better than your explorations had led me to believe it would be, but not a patch on yours (of course).

Billy Banter said...

Love the bubblegum-blowing Mona Lisa!

Mary Jane Evans said...

Thank you for sparing us! Has AI put greetings card writers out to pasture? The Mona Lisa details were fascinating and I enjoyed your speculative poem. No mush or cliche there.

Amber Molloy said...

I know next to nothing about artificial intelligence but I do know about breast-feeding. For me it was a painful and stressful experience and I gave it up as soon as I could. Tell that to your AI engine. I did actually enjoy your poem, far-fetched though it is.

Stu Hodges said...

Enjoyed this Steve. AI poetry still in its kindergarten stage. Who are Black Lime? One of your obscure psych bands? Some great lines in your Mona Lisa poem. Well done.

Debbie Laing said...

It really begs the question: AI poetry, why bother? Your own poem however is beautiful.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

As god awful as some of those AI snippets are, there are parts of the AI poem you shared that are better than I might have expected. The 4th verse for instance about ML cradling her baby's head, "Fingers tracing delicate patterns" shows a surprising amount of soul. Fortunately, you were able to top that (lol).

Saskia Parker said...

Your lovely Breastfeeding Mona Lisa poem, I'd love it to be true. ❤️

Anonymous said...

A bit strange reading a poem written by a man about breastfeeding. Even stranger reading one written by an AI bot!

Emily Blythe said...

That will teach me to read your blog on a tea-break. I spat out a mouthful when I got to the mother cradles her precious spawn! That is just hilarious. I feel indignant of behalf of friends who are artists for what AI threatens. It looks as though poets don't need to worry in the short term. I love your clever, speculative poem. Very nicely done.

Binty said...

You have an interesting mind.

Seb Politov said...

I've just seen this on my Facebook feed: "The underlying purpose of AI is to allow wealth to access skill while removing from the skilled the ability to access wealth." That sounds like a bad deal to me.

Jambo said...

AI poets boob! You rocked it. Great blog.