written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Wednesday 2 July 2014

Hitting 'Refresh'

22:03:00 Posted by Lindsay , , No comments

They say a change is as good as a rest, and I find change very refreshing. Yep, it it can be a little scary sometimes but there's nothing like a change in routine or scenery or even a major life change to shake up the mind and start to see things from a new perspective.

A lot of things have changed for me in the past couple of years. I can't say it's developed my skills as a writer but it's made me feel more able to do it. It's been a little traumatic at times, I won't lie. Divorce is pretty crappy. But sometimes these things need to happen to refresh the mind and put you in a new place.

From a writing perspective I think as many new experiences are necessary to help develop. For me writing isn't just about how well written the prose is, but having something to say, something new or in a new way. So with this in mind all the things that happen are being filed down to experience and I think about this in a positive way as it helps keep me going. It's a useful mindset and stops my head from entering the oven.

So. The odd click of 'refresh' on life is good. Too many times and it's just waiting for something to happen and becomes annoying. Think of the crappy times as material, as writerly experience and one day it may come in useful.

0 comments: