written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 23 July 2022

Summer

After eight years as a regular Saturday blogger, I'm searching for a seasonal summer slant that's not been used before. This week's record temperatures - Tropic of Bowland anyone? - might have proved newsworthy for a couple of days but are soon to be a commonplace feature of British summertime, it would seem. More concerning is that "beating Keir Starmer" and "getting Brexit re-done" (whatever the hell that means) look to be more important to the Tories than ensuring we are meeting the challenges of global warming and our legally-binding Net Zero undertaking. Let's face it, it's not been a priority of this administration, despite the UK hosting COP26; in fact we're going backwards - less on track than we were five years ago apparently - and Alok Sharma, the government's climate minister, has threatened to resign if the new PM fails to commit to a strong green agenda.

Anyway, here's my slant: Summerland. I don't know if you've seen the movie of the same name? It was released in 2020 (first year of Covid) and probably didn't get much exposure as a result, which is a shame because it's a first-rate film, an instant 'lost classic' as it were, with a great story line, terrific acting (Gemma Arterton and Lucas Bond in particular are excellent) and the cinematography is stunning. I won't spoil the plot, for do try and catch it if you can, streamed, on DVD, or whenever it crops up on your TV.

Summerland
Suffice to say the movie introduced me to the idea of the Summerland, essentially a pagan concept of an afterlife. Formalised to an extent in theosophical belief and writings (thanks to Swedenborg, Davis and Leadbeater inter alia ), Summerland would seem to represent the highest level or sphere that souls can aspire to between incarnations, before Nirvana is attained (for theosophists believe we are all on a cyclical mission to reach perfection). It is also sometimes referred to as the astral plane, a sort of sunlit upland for those who managed to live good lives before shucking off their mortal host. There is a lot more weird stuff associated with theosophy - like Sanat Kumara who is believed to be the spiritual deity governing Earth from the floating city of Shamballa, somewhere above the Gobi desert - but the movie doesn't get into that level of complexity. For researcher Alice in her cliff-top house and for blitz evacuee Frank, it simply posits the existence of Summerland, and the ability of those with sufficiently open minds to actually glimpse it in the ether as some reassurance in war-torn 1940 that existence goes on after death. Unlikely, of course, but charming nonetheless. 

Moving on back down to earth in 2022, my own 'house on the strand' (it's not actually on the sea-front but a short walk inland, as anyone who has visited will tell you), is oriented almost precisely east-west. The front faces the rising sun, which filters through the bedroom blinds on a summer morning. It's a splendid thing to wake up to, blue sky, gently warming bright air, the promise of a glorious day to come. By mid-day (give or take a seasonally-adjusted hour) the sun is right above, heading west, flooding the back garden while the front gradually becomes shadowy. It's a house of two halves. The front rooms are warm in the morning but cool in the afternoon and evening as the heat of the day intensifies; the back rooms and back garden are refreshingly cool in the morning but suffused with light and heat right through to sunset. I migrate between front and back as the mood or the need dictates. It works perfectly. Then there are the wrens.

Wrens are beautiful little birds, more often heard than seen because they are small and shy, but they have a distinctive sound and are far more populous than people think (estimated 11,000,000 in the UK). They are also territorial. I have two distinct families of them, one in the front garden and one in the back, with the house acting as a sort of buffer. Occasionally I hear the males singing at the same time, usually but not exclusively at the start of the day. It's a thrill and a highlight of summer mornings, and although I've written a whole blog and poem about this charming bird before (linked here, click on the title:  Tails Up), I thought why not do so again from a slightly different, somewhat humorous perspective?

Wren Singing
This then, in first draft, is for wrens everywhere, even though they can't read...

Wrens In Stereo
If I awake at dawn, the norm for a summer morning,
I can lie drowsy listening to the front-of-house wren
belting forth his silvery song from the magnolia tree
beneath my bedroom window, rallying all to the day.

Less distinct, being further away, the backstage wren
will join the chorus, rehearsing some mercurial lines
until he's note perfect in the shrubbery. If sometimes,
I suppose it's just by chance, their modulations chime

to great effect, I can feel uplifted by the sound, rouse
myself to stand equidistant on the landing, the better 
to balance both outpourings.  They're not performing 
so for me, more likely to secure their territories anew,

but what a rare delight to be showered at start of play
by wrens in stereo for ten or fifteen minutes, overture
to the quiet daily drama unfolding in a writer's house,
better by far than an intrusion of radio or breakfast tv.

Thanks for reading, S;-)

105 comments:

Tif Kellaway said...

That is so lovely. You're very lucky.

Jodie Ridehaulgh said...

I really enjoyed this. I'll make a point of watching Summerland somehow. Your wrens poem is beautiful. Lucky you.

Martin Brewster said...

Interesting. Summer's done here (LOL), cold and wet today, but this was cheering. We've not seen Summerland the movie and I've never heard of the concept. Pagan folklore? It sounds a bit wacky, cities in the sky. I envy you your house and your wrens though! Nice poem.

Miriam Fife said...

You almost made me want to read up on theosophy ;) I've not seen the film but I've logged your recommendation. I loved the idea and the execution of Wrens In Stereo, especially the theatre references running through it.

Anonymous said...

🤎🤎

Zoe Nikolopoulou said...

Delightful poem Steve (loved the lead-up).

Emily Blythe said...

Tropic of Bowland? It probably was in the distant past, too. Well done with the lovely poem.

Ben Templeton said...

I didn't see the film (and don't do Netflix) so that's one that got away. Sounds interesting though. I really enjoyed the latest poem and hope your wrens survived the heatwave.

Billy Banter said...

I hear they make good quiche! 😂

Saskia Parker said...

I loved Summerland (the film), thought Gemma Arterton was excellent. I never realised there are so many wrens. I'm not sure I've ever heard one (but I linked to your other blog with the soundtrack, so now I've got a clue what to listen out for). I think the poem is fabulous. ❤️

Harry Lennon said...

Beautifully written as usual (I might google Theosophy) and the poem is really well-conceived and executed. It is something special to enjoy the quiet of the morning with only nature intruding - though that's rare round here except on Sundays.

Jenny Grant said...

What a lovely poem.

Boz said...

That's a lorra wrens!

Charlotte Mullins said...

You're a stalwart, Saturday blogger! I really enjoyed your latest. The film sounds interesting. A shame that quite a few slipped through the cracks a year or so ago. Your house sounds well-oriented and the poem is beautifully staged. I love it. 👏

Lizzie Fentiman said...

This worked for me. It's always a pleasure to read your blogs. Theosophy is some weird shit but I'm intrigued by the movie, will see if it's on a streaming service. The poem is a delight.

Mike Flanagan said...

Really very good. What a delightful poem.

Sahra Carezel said...

That's such a lovely poem.

Kevin Sterling said...

I watched Summerland and thought it was very well done. That's a cracking little wren poem. Great stuff.

Wendy Bateman said...

What a delightful wren poem. I love these little birds.

Sarah Kenniford said...

Summer - was that it? A handful of very hot days? We did see Summerland at our socially-distancing local cinema in 2020, the occasion more memorable than the film I think, which was on a par with The Bookshop and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (enjoyable but not earth=shattering). But I have to say I absolutely love your Wrens In Stereo poem, such a charming premise and beautifully done.

Ross Madden said...

That's a cracking poem Steve. 👏

Mitch Carragher said...

Apparently both Tory PM candidates are now promising to take Net Zero seriously - we will see. I'll add Summerland to my list of films to watch. I thought the poem was great (and thanks for the link to your other wren post). They are such wonderful birds.

Nigella D said...

What a great poem about lovely birds.

Binty said...

Now I have an image of you standing on your landing, windows wide, listening to wren songs :D

CI66Y said...

I didn't even try to get to Cardiff today with the Canaries because of rail strikes so I'll sit and listen to wrens singing! That's another fine poem Steve. Good luck you Seasiders ;)

Adele said...

Such a sweet poem. Melodious!

Rod Downey said...

Great poem. I loved the theatre of it. 👍

Mac Southey said...

I've not heard of theosophy before. Earth being governed from s floating city above the Gobi desert? Sounds crazy - I'll read up on that one! Another great blog Steve and bravo for the clever and joyful wren poem.

Andy D. said...

Pleased to read you're making good use of your retirement! When is the novel due?

Dani Merakli said...

Lovely wren (x2) poetry, Steve esp. "rehearsing some mercurial lines". 🤎

Debbie Laing said...

That's such a lovely poem.

Jay Henderson said...

I love the poem and the wren photograph (did you take it?) but I'm just wondering since the weather has deteriorated: do your wrens sing on rainy mornings or only on sunny ones?

Fiona Mackenzie said...

What a clever and delightful poem. We've not seen Summerland, will keep a look out for it.

Anonymous said...

Heard you read your wrens poem. Magical. 👏

Peter Fountain said...

Wasn't there a Summerland on the Isle of Man or the Isle of Wight that got destroyed by fire in the 1970s with fatalities? I suppose it's an obvious name for a holiday complex but it's also got dark connotations. As for theosophy, that just sounds strange. Anyway, another interesting read and the best bit is your latest beautiful poem. Congrats on that.

Mary Jane Evans said...

And I'm uplifted just reading your Wrens In Stereo poem. It's beautiful.

Rochelle said...

Eight years Steve. Gosh, that's commitment. Summerland lore sounds pleasantly quirky. I love your wrens poem.

Natalija Drozdova said...

Thank you for sharing this. I enjoy your blogs. The wrens poem is beautiful and I also love the quiet world.

Kylie Davenport said...

Great read Steve. Gemma Arterton could almost be photographing that melodious wren. I really like your poem, very cleverly done and how fortunate you are to have wrens front and back.

Bruce Paley said...

What an inspired idea for a lovely poem.👍 We did watch Summerland (good film, as you say) and being a bit of a camera buff I commented that the model of Kodak Brownie Reflex used by Gemma Arterton wasn't manufactured until 1946, whereas the film was set in 1940 ;)

Debbie Laing said...

It helps that wrens have such a distinctive sound. You capture it so perfectly ("belting forth his silvery song" and "rehearsing some mercurial lines"). Lovely poem.

Nicci Haralambous said...

Yes, inspired poetry as already commented. What a great idea, the theatre metaphor. I wonder did you think about gallery instead of landing? Thanks for sharing. I love reading your blogs.

Steve Rowland said...

I really appreciate all the feedback on this blog, lovely comments. To pick up on a few points/questions: the Summerland disaster was on the Isle of Man in 1973. Progress on the novel is slow (being SLO takes up time). I did consider writing "to stand equidistant in the gallery" to preserve the theatre metaphor, but thought that was stretching the analogy a little too far. And Bruce, well spotted. I hadn't noticed that. The camera used in the film says Kodak London on the fascia, and you're right it wasn't manufactured in this country until after the war, but the American version of the Brownie Reflex was first produced in 1940, so would technically have been around. ( I guess the props people couldn't find an original US model.)

Fredders said...

A great read (inc. the comments). I've put Summerland on my list of movies to see. Your poem is ace, well done. 🤎

Toni Gresham said...

Oh what a brilliant poem. That's beautiful.

Tina Gilliam said...

Your house sounds lovely and your wrens sound lively! What a super blog and poem.

Deke Hughes said...

I like the idea of a pagan Summerland. Not sure about Theosophy though Steve, sounds a but crank. Well done with the poem, really beautifully conceived and executed and up there with some of your best.

Lynne Carter said...

I'm amazed to read that wrens are so populous. I don't think I've ever seen one, maybe heard one without knowing what it was.

Bridget Durkin said...

Interesting and very well put together as always. I love the wren photograph and your clever poem.

lliam a poet said...

That's a banging poem!

Geraldine Russell said...

Thanks for sharing this Steve. I really enjoyed it. The film sounds intriguing and the poem is charming and witty.

Penny Lockhart said...

Fabulous. I take it your house is not a cliffhanging one! I love the poem.

Dan Ewers said...

August heatwave on the way. I've never thought about which parts of my house are cool or warm. It seems like all of it is too hot at the moment. Maybe there's something in the orientation. Interesting.

Bill Dexter said...

Very good read, thanks for sharing. I particularly enjoyed the poem. As to Theosophy, I'm surprised this hasn't caught on in the last few years with the antivax conspiracy brigade. They'd love that sort of thing :)

Chloe Tudor said...

Interesting and I love the poem (so clever). I hope your little wrens are surviving the heatwave!

Lina Gulhane said...

Fabulous poetry.👏 Let's hear it (for the) wrens.💛

Jilly Boyd-Hennessey said...

Totally agree about Summerland the film. I loved it. Ditto your marvellous Wrens in Stereo poem.

Amber Molloy said...

How lovely to have stereo wrens. What a delightful poem. ❤️

Caroline Asher said...

I was captivated by this. I love the poem.

Georgia Steele said...

Super blog, I loved Summerland. Your wrens poem is delightful.

Tony Morrell said...

This was a fascinating read. I might follow up on Theosophism, not because I want to believe any of it (it does sound like "weird stuff") but to understand how and why presumably very intelligent people have constructed a whole 'religion' based on a spiritual deity living in a floating city somewhere over China! It's ages old - I just googled Swedenborg, 17th century - but it's got 'new age' tendencies! (LOL) Anyway, I look forward to hours of internet mining. In the meantime, I've noted your recommendation of the film, and your wren poem is wonderful, the idea, the execution. Very good.

Mark II Ford said...

Captured for me that almost stillness before a scorchio day. What a lovely poem. 👏

Millie Baxter said...

Wrens in Stereo - just beautiful. 👍

Anonymous said...

Your house sounds lovely.

Katrina Ellison said...

I loved reading this. What a fantastic poem. 👍

Noragh Montgomerie said...

What a glorious poem. Brilliant. Lovely comments too. 🤎

Anonymous said...

A most enjoyable read on a Sunday morning. Thank you!

Carey Jones said...

Very good. I've not heard of the film but will try and see it somehow. Wrens In Stereo is right up there with your best.

Patrick Keane said...

Theosophy is a new one on me but as 'invented' religions go it sounds quite amusingly wacky. I enjoyed your poem immensely.

J.B. said...

Wrens In Stereo. I loved it. Don't need to change a thing IMO. 👏

Jon Cromwell said...

You're one hell of a fine poet Steve. What happened to that collection you were promising and will Wrens be in it?

Sheila Jackson said...

Wonderful.

Frank Lea said...

That Summerland photograph is just missing a dipping Spitfire. An interesting blog and a lovely poem. Thanks for sharing.

Bella Jane Barclay said...

Wren in mono is an absolute delight, as your linked Minted poem describes. I can only imagine the level to which wrens in stereo goes. You're very lucky to have them and very clever to make such an original poem out of the fact.

Lisbeth Tex said...

Fabulous wren poetry. So beautifully thought out and expressed.

Danielle Tomlinson said...

A fascinating post. I loved your wrens poem and the funny dedication.

Helen Maitland said...

A lovely blog, Steve, and a super wren poem. Trying to imagine you standing on the landing :)

Anonymous said...

I love your poem. 👍

Dawn Sutcliffe said...

Oh what a fabulous poem. ❤️

Dominic Mahon said...

I know nothing of theosophy but I do know about the wren in Celtic mythology. My grandfather was a wren boy in Limerick. Your poem is a gem.

Mel Pearce said...

What a wonderful poem. Also, thanks for the review of Summerland. I'm going to order the DVD as I've not got the hang of streaming.

Demelza Hoyle said...

I loved the film but theosophy itself is a bit bonkers, isn't it? I thought Wrens In Stereo was tremendous, such a lovely poem.

Will Griffin said...

So did Ashok Sharma resign when the terrible Truss got in? Fantastic poem, you're so lucky to have two wrens.

Ruthie Milton said...

I'd not heard of theosophy or of Summerland before. As a concept it's fascinating, charming as you say, but as a proposition it's a bit far-fetched. I loved your description of your house and its wrens and the poem is a delight.

Anonymous said...

A theatre of wrens - such great imagery.

Leonie Skirton said...

I've never heard of Summerland (the movie or the pagan heaven) so this was fascinating. Your wrens poem is fabulous. I'm loving these blogs - do you have any publications? I couldn't find anything online.

Della Burgess said...

Summerland's a great notion, but no more than that surely. Still, an interesting blog and I loved your wrens poem.

Dean Juncowitz said...

Theosophy is dubious but I was moved by the sentiment of the movie. I like the way you set your poem up - most original.

Vanessa Farley McEntire said...

Summerland just happens to be one of my favourite films of the last few years. That's a lovely poem too.

Josie Lightwood said...

A lovely and clever wren poem. Lucky you.

Kelly Sebright said...

I don't know much about theosophy but I suspect it's largely wishful thinking. I'll look out for the film, however, as it sounds like my kind of thing. Well done with the fabulous wren poem.

Angel Cruz said...

Lovely. Such a clever poem.

Melissa Davy said...

Summerland is a brilliant movie! I loved reading your blog and your wonderful wren poem. ❤️

Rosie Lucas said...

Not seen the movie but I like the idea of a pagan 'heaven'. I loved the poem, such a great idea too.

Billy Trent said...

I loved reading the description of your house, and of course the wren poem(s). Beautifully realised. 👏

Vicky Maclean said...

The House on the Strand, that's a Daphne du Maurier novel. Do you go time-travelling as well? I very much enjoyed your blog, the Summerland thing, lovely description of your house and the delightful poem.

Davey Langan said...

I enjoyed your post. Theosophy is a bit bonkers of course but I concur Summerland was a good movie. It's a great idea for a poem. Wrens are ace.

Irene Johnson said...

Super blog and poem. Are you published (apart from online)?

Cerys Morgan said...

Delightful read about wrens and such a clever and lovely poem. I believe the collective noun for the little birds is a chime :)

Cam Gavrilovska said...

I just want to say how much I enjoyed your blog and that delightful poem. Thank you.

Edward Oakley said...

Most interesting. I've added Summerland to my 'to watch' list. I probably missed it because of Covid. It's intriguing to think that intelligent people can have believed in a shadow world hovering somewhere above this one ;) I loved the poem, and it suddenly occurred to me what a strange word 'landing' is in the context of house architecture. Bravo.

Ron Gilbert said...

Excellent! 👏

Sissy Jordaine said...

Loved the wren theater poetry.

Vanessa Remington said...

A super blog and delightful poem. Lucky you.

Emma Lucas-Doyle said...

Wrens are such smashing little birds. Often heard. seldom seen. I love your poem. (Not seen the movie but I'll keep a look-out in case it comes on TV sometime.)