written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 21 December 2019

Overheard

I elected not to blog last Saturday in the wake of the Friday 13th general election result. In the immediate aftermath, words failed me; and then when they did come, they weren't fit for sharing, being as blue as most of England! It's ironic, given that the blog theme last week was Altered States (chosen and scheduled back in June before there was a hint of a December election). However, the trip out to cast my vote did at least give me material for this week's Overheard blog.

What follows is a conversation I couldn't help but catch as I walked from the polling station and across the school playground behind two loudly spoken women after we had all exercised our democratic rights. (The words may not be 100% precise but they are pretty close - I didn't have a notebook to hand!)

Woman #1: I hope Corbyn doesn't get in. He's a nasty piece of work, used to be in the IRA and he hates Jews.
Woman #2: Yeah there's too many immigrants. Send them all back.
Woman #1: So who you vote for?
Woman #2: I wanted to vote for Boris but he wasn't on the list so I did 'Brexit'.
Woman #1: Me too. Won't make any difference though. They're all the same...

To be perfectly honest, I wish I hadn't been privy to that conversation. It was a depressing augury. I was almost expecting one of them to say "Anyway, the end of the world is coming soon". She may have done so once they were out of earshot - which imaginative flight of fancy led me to thoughts about elections just before Christmas, the festival of Saturnalia, the crowning of the Lord of Misrule et cetera...more of which further on.

My favourite overhearing dates back to a few Christmases ago. I'd opened the front door on Boxing Day night to let the cat in - there was a perfectly serviceable cat-flap in the back door, but cats will be cats - and a middle-aged couple were arguing loudly as they walked past my house:

She: But you don't even like Christmas pudding!

He: Yes I do. I love it. It's you I can't stomach!

I suspect I only remember this overheard exchange because it was both somewhat bizarre and unwittingly witty. Ah, that Christmas spirit.

I'm currently reading Ian McEwan's 2016 novel Nutshell and thoroughly enjoying it, one of the best things I've read in a long time. I mention it here because the protagonist is an unborn baby who overhears everything from the confines of his mother's womb. It is brilliantly plotted and wittily written; actually an audacious take on the story of the love triangle in Hamlet. You don't need to know the play to enjoy the book but it will double your pleasure if you do.

Saturnalia, then. This is the season - December 17th to 23rd. The Romans gave us one of the major precursors to our current festive period; Norse yuletide being the other. (Check out my Yuletide blog from the tail-end of last year for more details of the latter.) Little gifts, much feasting and a few days of turning the world upside down in the name of comic relief - the Romans wrote the script, all in honour of the God of life spirit and appetites, Saturn.


I'm sure that, like the majority of the good people of England this month, Saturn would have admired our intoxicating new Lord of Misrule, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, larger than life, buffoon when it suits, 'lovable rogue' in the eyes of the many - certainly in preference to the vinegar serious Jeremy Corbyn. Well, the people are getting the present they asked for, with a jolly populist ho ho ho. I hope they remember that a turkey's not just for Christmas! OK, I'm done with the commentary and will waste no more words on the subject. Let the future unfurl.

It's penultimate poem of the year time. This is still a work-in-progress, so subject to change, but I offer my moral support to Nancy Pelosi and a symbolic tilt at the Trumpkin for what it's worth (the imaginarium being a bit depleted at the moment)...

Saturnalia
Allegedly overheard
through the wafer thin walls
which the Devil's Diner shares
with FBI HQ,
the  good ol' USA is now 'technically'
not so much a democracy
as a Demonocracy
for bad men and narcissists
are running the show.

There's no denying
it was a populist steer
stage-managed by cheerleaders
mouthing a simple
triumphalist mantra.
What was it a wise man
once implored?
"Forgive them Lord, for
they know not what they do."
Heaven help us all then!

As Saturn rings in the changes
at the ragged, weary end
of another crazy year,
while he stands there
tainting highest office
in his bronze-gone-wrong,
with his gritted millionaire's
lying white teeth,
shedding onion tears
and madly tweeting his innocence
even as he leeches still
on a people's hopes and fears,
there's a plan to impeach
this Lord of Misrule.

Time has come, it seems,
to teach the unconscionable
baby-faced Fool.
Tie his feet with wool.

Thanks for reading. Merry Festives, one and all! S ;-)

35 comments:

Nigella D said...

I'm shocked but not surprised by what you overheard at the polling station. It will be interesting to see if there is any appetite for electoral reform in the new parliament. I suspect not. I loved your Boxing Day overhearing and the latest poem. Best wishes to you at Christmas and thanks for all the great blogs.

CI66Y said...

Tie his feet with wool - I had to look that up. Very clever Steve and an enjoyable poem (better than anything I could summon up) even if a work in progress. I wish you a good/restorative Christmas.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

'Another crazy year' just about sums it up. At least we've been spared your seismic schizoid political soap opera, though with half of NSW burning away our top dingo has given an unbelievable thumbs-up to the coal industry. Spate all, have a cracker of a chrimbo.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing image that is. Thanks for the blog and season's greetings to you Mr R.

Celia M said...

I love the pudding anecdote. Thanks for all the blogs this year. Have a great Christmas Steve.

Deke Hughes said...

Events of the other week have knocked many of us back. I'm impressed you've still got the impetus to write a (more than) decent poem in the circumstances. Wishing you and yours a restorative festive season.

Binty said...

I'm loving that poem :)

Tom Shaw said...

Pandemonium is building on Capitol Hill. The devil is in the Donald all right. Rock on Steve.

Luke Taylor said...

If you can breathe and walk, you can vote. However that falls, let's hope we never vote to give such rights away!

Steve Rowland said...

I agree with your last sentiment Luke. My immediate concerns with our political system are more to do with lack of accountability in social media and the inherent bias that comes from the absence of proportional representation.

Rochelle said...

I sympathise with 'the ragged, weary end/of another crazy year'. Time for us all to reset, perhaps.

Matt West said...

Forgive me now buddy. I voted Tory for the first time ever. Can't stomack Corbyn & don't think Marsden ever did anything for Blackpool.

Harry Lennon said...

Thanks for this Steve. There are some great lines in your Saturnalia poem but - if I may be so bold - the second verse lets it down. Better without? (as an optometrist might query)...

Boz said...

I fear this turkey is with us for at least five years la :(

Steve Rowland said...

Harry, thanks for the prompt. I said it was a work-in-progress and I've made some modifications to the poem which I think improve the quality of the piece.

Brian Cassell said...

Thanks for sharing Steve - another fine blog, shocking and amusing in equal measure (a bit like your current Blackpool team methinks).

Anonymous said...

Brilliant poetry! Happy New Year Mr. R.

Ben Templeton said...

You satirise the advance of populism (fair enough) but I suspect demonocracy (as you label it) is on the rise in the UK too, with dark powers preparing to take their chances under the guise of 'the will of the people'. I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

Jambo said...

the mutation pupates! beware donald's 2nd coming!!

Steve Rowland said...

That's a chilling thought James :-@

Carey Jones said...

Thanks for sharing your latest, thought-provoking as ever. It's depressing that prejudice (and the open expression of it) appears to be condoned by the language of our elected leaders on both sides of the Atlantic. Keep your poetic voice coming through. Happy New Year to you.

Anonymous said...

In addition to your two overheard women, another 2,000 voted for Brexit in Blackpool South - as if getting out of the EU was the only thing that mattered to them. They are probably among the most deprived electorates in the country and they want to make things worse for themselves. I don't get it.

Thanks for your blogs. Please keep writing them. You sound a note of sanity in the pandemonium!

Beth Randle said...

Season's greetings to you as well Steve. I was pleased to read you've been enjoying Nutshell, which I thought was excellent. I love your Saturnalia poem.

otyikondo said...

Happy New Year, Steve, from the land of the 34-year-old Social Democrat PM and d'Hondt PR. I feel your pain, but have to question whether the UK is ready - will EVER be ready - for PR. Aside from the obvious trope of "...but Corbyn..." that was heard during your election, the other exhausted motif slouching towards Bethlehem was: "...but a HUNG PARLIAMENT...aaargh", as if this were tantamount to ebola-tipped thermonuclear war. The rabid two-party tribalism is too strong and too deeply-rooted in your voters for consensus coalition government and - dare I say it - for a smidgen of common sense. Pair that ingrained thinking with a dumbed-down, celebrity-obsessed, politically naive public, and you have the perfect perfidious storm for the populist march Albion is now embarked on. Still, at least you got your team back, even if the country went tits up. Best, W.

Richard Parkinson said...

The old record company trick of releasing multiple versions to get the sales up!

Darren Wilkes said...

I truly think we've entered an age when delusional thinking passes for acceptable. It's not just a matter of education and intelligence anymore. When millions of people concede they're being lied to but vote for those lies regardless then as you say heaven help us all... except there isn't one and this is a mess of our own making to sort out.

a v said...

I love the picture (spooky) and the poem. All best wishes to you for 2020.

Anonymous said...

Trump seems intent on war with Iran now? It's not looking good!

Tom Knapman said...

That polling station exchange is truly scandalous - sadly no such thing as too thick to vote! Fine poem though. TK

Anonymous said...

Sympathies for a world gone wrong! Also I have to commend you on your poetry. Just the idea of the devil's diner backing onto CIA hq is priceless. Saturnalia - very clever, I love it.

Trace said...

So what's this thing with the wool? That's not going to stop anybody?

Steve Rowland said...

Trace, it was apparently a custom during Saturnalia to bind the feet of Saturn's statue in the temple with woollen bands and then to ceremoniously 'free' him at the appointed time, a symbolic practice. I'm just borrowing the symbolism here and applying it to the Trumpkin - with no suggestion that he should ever be released!

Kenny Garcia said...

Trump has broken free with the connivance of the Republicans who decided that the truth should not be told. It stinks worse than the latrines in your Devil's Diner!!!

Anonymous said...

The bastard has wriggled free! Levels of corruption to rival the middle ages.

Candice Mortimer said...

'Tie his feet with wool' is such an apt metaphor for that sham of an impeachment. We can only hope that Trump grows so bloated with hubris that he becomes repulsive in the eyes of all right-thinking Americans.