written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Wednesday 28 November 2012

I Would Miss...


At the moment, with winter’s cold temperatures nipping, the idea of being stranded on a desert island is quite appealing. Those who know me will be aware of my dislike of the icy conditions – at my boyfriend’s parents’ house, my spot is the one next to the fire, while friends and family buy me gifts to ward off the cold: hot water bottles, fluffy socks, flasks and warm jumpers (all very much appreciated).

So, thinking about what I wouldn’t miss (the British weather) made me wonder what I would miss if I was stranded on a desert island:

Books – Yes, I could take a handful with me, but I would miss having the luxury of choice. Often I read (especially poetry) based on how I’m feeling at that moment; diving in and out of different books until I find something that seems compatible with my current mood.

Bubble Baths – the perfect conclusion to those ‘bad days’.

Roo – My cat; a stray who can’t purr, has more attitude than a stroppy teenager and who likes to chew toes.

My Nephews – They’re still little, still growing, still learning new things.

Shaun – Often his constant talk and messiness irritates me, but if he suddenly vanished I’d quickly miss him. He makes me laugh, holds me when I cry, inspires me, encourages me and always believes in me.

Thank you for reading,
Lara

1 comments:

Ashley Lister said...

Are we not allowed to take cats onto a desert island?

Damn.

(great post)

Ash