written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Thursday 7 November 2013

Do me a fava

22:17:00 Posted by Damp incendiary device , , , , , 3 comments
Broad Beans

If I had patience I'd grow beans
the kind that look like kidneys
only green

I'd find three long sticks in the shed
and bind them at one end
with twine

I'd stand these sticks in fat, black earth
above neat rows of seedlings
curly sprites

I'd wrap the sticks with copper net
to keep out slugs and snails
and birds

I'd train the plants towards the light
with soft brown string found in
a drawer

And check the leaves for signs of harm
like wilting or attacks
by bugs

If I had beans I'd grow patience
the kind that looks like study
only free





I am taking a break from blogging for a while.  Thursday's slot will be filled by a poet whose I respect and admire very much.  I commend you to her incredibly capable hands.  This blog is a wonderful thing and I look forward to returning in the not-too-distant future.  Thank you for reading.

Vicky x

3 comments:

Ashley Lister said...

Great poetry (as always). Already looking forward to your return.

Ash

Damp incendiary device said...

Thanks Ash. I'll be snooping around the blog to make sure it meets my exacting standards ;-)

Colin Daives said...

Missing you already, bean farmer.