written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 9 May 2020

Magnetism

It's a strange journey the mind takes one on sometimes. The allotted blog theme being  magnetism , I was idly musing to myself that in fact the world is just a great big magnet when suddenly that old soul number by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell crept uninvited into the fringes of consciousness - you know, the 'Onion Song'. I had to look it up on my search engine of choice:

"The world is just a great big onion/ And pain and fear are the spices that make you cry/ Oh and the only way to get rid of this great big onion/ Is to plant love seeds until it dies, uh huh."

Uh huh, not the greatest of lyrics! Quality control disappeared in a puff of whatever was being smoked that year (1969). However, the principal and incongruous image has remained in memory for half a century, which must say something, though I don't know what.

Not an onion then, but a planet-sized electro-magnet (to be precise) created by the effects of a convecting molten iron interior and the earth's rotation - on a vertical axis as it happens - giving us fields of force that flow out of the south pole and into the north, fields that in turn magnetise ferrous materials giving them polar properties (called north and south in representation of the mother magnet). As we all learned at school, like poles repel while opposites attract...


... and beyond that simplistic fact I can't generate much enthusiasm for the topic. I blame this on it being the ninth week of Covid-19-ness (oh, I've been checking back through the blogs) and while I don't think our government has handled Britain's response to the pandemic in a very credible way, I also suspect that's not what people want to read about right now. So... let's move on to some poetry.

With world-disorienting random factors in mind, I speculated on what would happen if something completely unexpected and outside of our control were to impact - for instance - the web of satellite-enabled communications and navigation systems we've woven around the planet in the last half-century. From the depths of the imaginarium to the outer limits of scientific possibility, I offer you, gentle readers, an allegorical work-in-progress. Maybe some day someone will stick it on their fridge (though I doubt it)!

Aerial No More
We have spun from pole to pole
and skirted fair earth's girth,
traversed our planet round
that once was thought flat,
back to the place we started from:
the best of journeys end where
they began, sweet home-comings.

But now we are confounded, can
orbit safe no more. Three holes sprung
in the fireball sun when seen
through NASA's glass darkly
portend stark news. All bode ill
for our enabling comsat* angels,
will scramble their sweet whisperings.

Freak solar winds wreak havoc
with our fragile networks, distort them
to a tangle, disorient receptors.
Geomagnetic fields gone dizzily askew
lead us to mis-migrate, foil our attempts
to navigate. We are, for now, grounded
by invisible blizzards, aerial no more.

* comsat = communication satellites

I didn't want to short-change you though, so I include a musical link to finish. Have a listen to this majestic recording: "Like a flying magnet, hyperdrive has never seen any reason to remain the same." This is Grace Slick with Jefferson Starship from 1974. Just click on the song title to activate the link to YouTube>>>> Hyperdrive

OK, thanks for reading. Stay isolate, stay safe, be supportive. S ;-)

38 comments:

Gareth Boyd Haskins said...

A parable (allegory?) for our times I think. ๐Ÿ‘

Mac Southey said...

Hi Steve. Regarding your statement about avoiding blogging about what people don't want to read (UK government's handling of the pandemic) I think you should write what's on your mind and not self-censor. For god's sake, rip them one. The latest trite slogan "Control the Virus" made me really quite angry. And to think we've got 5 more years of these self-serving idiots! Okay. I liked your poem and you're right, it won't ever be a fridge magnet. Happy Sunday :)

Bickerstaffe said...

You sound like a man biting his tongue. I'm with the previous commentator here. I've always enjoyed your forthright views and the clarity with which you express them (even if I don't always share said views). Forthright is what is needed now.

Nigella D said...

Well, I enjoyed your poem, a clever allegory for a grounded world. ๐Ÿ’™

Binty said...

Having watched Boris on TV last evening I fear a second wave, bigger than the first. You're right, we must all learn to navigate anew, not just go back to how things were. Feeling gloomy today :(

Celia M said...

I remember the Onion Song. I suppose we never thought too deeply about the dippy lyrics at the time though there was a degree of social commentary in them. I've been thinking about the scenario you represent in your poem and I suppose the outcome would really be a turning back of the evolutionary clock - no internet, no global comms, back to newspapers etc. Weird to think on, but no more strange than the current pandemic.

Billy Banter said...

If it wasn't for magnetism we'll all fall off the planet! True?

Ben Templeton said...

When I think of Aerial I think of sprites unbounded by the common laws of physics. Was that the allusion you were making?

Matt West said...

I remember the Comsat Angels, post-punk band from Sheffield right?

Kylie Davenport said...

I love the latest poem. Hope you're keeping well.

Max Page said...

Let yourself off the leash. Good new poem. ๐Ÿ‘

Miriam Fife said...

I like your latest poem Steve. I'm just not sure about the parenthetical glass half full bit. Does it add anything? Otherwise, great.

Steve Rowland said...

Responding to the prompting of several of you and the input from the Blackpool Stanza poets (for which, thanks), I've slightly revamped the poem and I've taken the hint to be more forthright about life during lockdown in upcoming blogs ;-)

CI66Y said...

Well now, I agree the Onion song was rubbish and I disagree about staying off the topic of how dire this government has been - not just during Covid-19 but over the last decade. However, it's your call. As for the poem, I really enjoyed it. Imagine the chaos if that happened. It woild be a case of stepping back a century for a while. I hope you're managing to keep rampant boredom at bay.

Tom Shaw said...

Wasn't the song Telstar named for one of the early communication satellites? That memory lives in the same part of my brain as the Jetsons. I liked your latest poem Steve, and that image of the Sun is awesome.

Mary Jane Evans said...

Don't you go frightening us now Steve! Imagine if the internet went down for any length of time right now. It would be like going back to the dark ages (1950s etc). That said, I thought your poem had great rhythm and some wonderful lines and imagery. I especially like "will scramble their sweet whisperings" and "grounded by invisible blizzards".

Boz said...

If that happened la, nobody would have to read your blogs :D

Jon Cromwell said...

Nothing beats a bit of dystopia at a time like this (LOL). I sense your frustration Steve, but all credit to you for keeping up the weekly blogs which I always look forward to reading. I thought your latest poem was very good and thanks for the musical bonus. I've not listened to that in years. Stay ahead.

Laura Colville said...

You make disaster beautiful - and rhyme.

Bill Allison said...

Jefferson Airplane (not starship) are probably one of the few west coast groups from the 60's whose music has really lasted. it does not taste of time and place. Listen to Baxters in its entirety. Wonderfully splendid.

Dan Francisco said...

Very good Steve. Thanks for the share.

F O'Jay said...

Lovely poetry and thanks for the musical boost :)

Harry Lennon said...

Perhaps a parabola for our times (LOL). It's a great poem - I really like 'traversed our planet round that once was thought flat', that's very neat - but it'll never get posted on anyone's fridge! Instead it should be in your first collection. When is that coming out?

The Existentialist said...

Thanks for this Steve. I can understand your frustration but I like your poem for the language and for the oblique parallels it draws with our own downed state. Stay angry, stay writing.

Kenny Garcia said...

Your comments about the Onion Song amused me. People probably didn't think too deeply about the words of soul songs, even though Marvin Gaye was pushing the horizon of social consciousness. It was all about to change though. Good Aerial downed poetry I thought. Thanks for sharing.

Heather said...

Love it!

Beth Randle said...

We're all feeling the frustration now, but thanks for continuing to provide weekly distractions. I really like your latest poem. Stay positive!

Luke Taylor said...

That was all good Steve - the tirade, the picture, the fab poem and Hyperdrive. Nice one.

Jools said...

I must just give a thumbs up to your Aerial poem. I really enjoyed it. ๐Ÿ‘

Ross Madden said...

Thanks Steve, for another diverting blog and a beautifully worked and weighted poem. Oh and I loved Hyperdive as well. Take care, stay happy :)

Anonymous said...

That's a great poem. ๐Ÿ‘

Nick Ball said...

Yes I thought Aerial No More was very good. Kudos pal.

Rod Downey said...

Very good Steve. Some fine (magnetic) lines in your poem. I loved 'will scramble their sweet whisperings' and 'lead us to mos-migrate' in particular but the whole piece was very well done.

Mitch Carragher said...

I for one would love to read what you really think about how the government has handled the pandemic. Even more so with all this blowing up about Dominic Cummings. Give us your measured take Steve. I thought your Aerial poem was a good one. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Rowland said...

Yes Tom, it was Telstar 1962 - commemorated in song by the Shadows )I think). And of course I borrowed the phrase comsat angels from the name of a very fine post-punk outfit hailing from the Republic of South Yorkshire. Just out of interest, I watched the International Space Station as it flew overhead (west to east) at about 10.10pm last night - a beautiful shining sight in a darkening blue evening sky.

Debbie Laing said...

Love your blogs Steve.Feel free to get very angry indeed! Great poem too.

Stu Hodges said...

Maybe Johnson can stick your poem in the fridge he hides inside... or at least the line 'But now we are confounded'! Keep up the good work. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Frida Mancour said...

Very good Steve.