written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 18 September 2021

Olive

It's a fruit from a tree, one of the oldest of domesticated crops, a staple of Mediterranean cuisine, a source of oil, a beautiful wood, a girl's name and a colour - except that nothing is ever that simple. Olive comes in many varieties and many shades, depending on ripeness. There are dozens of cultivars, often unique to the areas in which they are grown - in a  wide arc from Morocco up through Portugal and Spain, France, Italy, Greece, and Turkey then down into Lebanon and Israel. Even those clever people at Pantone list over a dozen colour variations, all with an olive prefix or suffix: green, pale, dark, drab, tawny, black, military, dusty, ecru, burnt, golden, capulet and so on.

There are myths associated with the olive in several cultures. Possibly the most famous is the ancient Greek tale of the sacred moria (μορίαι). Legend has it that when King Cecrops founded the city of Attica, he wanted to appoint a deity to be its patron and protector. Athena and Poseidon both wished the honour to be theirs, so a contest was agreed upon. Whichever of the two Olympians could promise to bestow the more useful gift upon the people of Attica, that one would be appointed and revered as the patron of the city. 

Poseidon struck a rock with his trident and a spring of salt water burst forth. Next, Athena thrust her spear into the ground of the Acropolis, then knelt down and planted an olive branch in the hole. This quickly grew into Greece's first moria, or olive tree. The king and people of Attica debated and concluded that salt water was not of much use, whereas the olive would have multiple uses. Thus Athena's precious gift won the contest. She was appointed as goddess and protector of the new city and the grateful citizens renamed it Athens in her honour.

olive harvesting (after Van Gogh)
What is more, because it was a divine gift, the olive tree became regarded as property of the state (whether it grew on public or private land). Olive groves were visited monthly by inspectors and yearly by a commissioner to ensure their well-being and to uproot an olive tree was a punishable offence.

The olive tree has been central to Greek life and culture for millennia. Apart from olives and olive oil being a staple of the Mediterranean diet, the oil was also used to fuel lamps, as a balm and cosmetic. Olive wood was used in the construction of houses, boats and artefacts. Even the leaves were employed in wreaths to crown the heads of victorious athletes, generals and kings. 

I'm biased in thinking that Greek olives are the finest in the world. By volume, it is only the fifth biggest producer (behind Spain, Italy, Morocco and Turkey) but it appears to have a more diverse range of cultivars than the other countries, maybe because it was the original cradle of olive cultivation - the oldest mention is from Mycenaean times in proto-Greek Linear B script. Most people have become familiar with Kalamata olives, but that's only one of fifteen different varieties grown in the olive groves of Greece. I won't list them, though they all have wonderful names. It may be worth just mentioning Athenolia - as that could be the very strain that Athena is supposed to have presented to the citizens of Attica. And I do have a favourite. It's the Tsounati olive from dusty Crete.

Olives are harvested between August and November and are still picked by hand in many areas although machines to vibrate the branches are becoming more widely used on big commercial plantations. As mentioned at the outset, the colour varies depending on the degree of ripeness. All olives start out green and if left will progress through rose to purple to black. Pick early for green and late for black. The fruit can be enjoyed fresh with salads, but can also be stuffed, pickled or added to cooked dishes. (I actually use olives in quite a lot of  recipes.). When pressed, the flesh yields up olive oil, an unsaturated fat used in cooking, cosmetics and medicine. Not surprisingly, Greece is the biggest consumer of both olives and olive oil.

produce of the olive tree
Over the years I've bought many lovely items made out of olive wood, mostly as presents for friends and family. For personal use I have a beautiful olive wood bowl and a set of wooden worry beads. I love the grain and the feel.

To round out the olive blog, here's the latest from the imaginarium. I'm not satisfied that I've got it quite right yet (especially in the transitions) but I put it out there for feedback while I think about it some more. [Edit - poem since revised.]

Girl From The Gift Shop
We were talking about the beauty of olive wood
and she accepted my offer of a beer after hours.
In a bar across the street she enthused over food
about the myth of Athena and the olive tree, had
the waiter bring us a bowl of Athenoli to sample
and bewitched with her tales of ancient powers. 

Hours later in my restless bed, I dreamed of this:
Inspirited, she explained. Midnight, she insisted.
Everything seemed quite different by moonlight,
primal, poised as in a frieze, the trees and I both
rooted. You'll feel overlooked, she said, sized up
but please don't be afraid to embrace a mystery.

I haven't words to relay what I observed, sensed
rather than saw in the sacred grove. Some dance
maybe, transformative, entrancing, pulled me in 
to a ravishing ritual celebration of eternal unity.
I must have asked who she was for in a whisper
she replied You may call me Dryad, Elia, Moria... 

Bright sunlight woke me late and after coffee I
returned to the gift shop, made some purchases
and small talk as she parcelled up my presents.
When I asked her for her name she smiled shyly,
replied not unlike leaves fluttering in the breeze
I have many, but I think you know that already.

Thanks for reading, S ;-)

109 comments:

Saskia Parker said...

I loved this! 🀎

Ross Madden said...

You've done the olive proud there. πŸ‘

Pamela Winning said...

So many olives to choose from. Perhaps there is one I might like? Interesting blog and I love your poem πŸ™‚

Ben Templeton said...

Excellent olive knowledge. What a great read.

Harry Lennon said...

Great blog Steve and I think the poem has something going for it. 🍈

Miriam Fife said...

I loved the blog and enjoyed the latest poem. My observation for what it's worth is maybe you've constrained yourself too much by going for six-line stanzas?

Stu Hodges said...

Richly informative and beautifully written as ever. I like the idea of the poem, the continuing sense of myth and mystery, and the surprise it springs. I'm sure you'll figure out the changes you feel are needed.

Jean McDonald said...

Very enjoyable in lots of ways. I am walking away with new knowledge πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž

Adele said...

Ah Crete. Ah Kefanolia. Ah Kos. Ah Rhodes. You have me longing for the warm breeze, olives and ice cold Mythos. Maybe next year. Lovely blog.

Binty said...

Loved the blog Steve. I suppose if they made houses and boats out of olive wood it was no longer an offence to uproot them ;-) I really like the poem too, not sure why you want to change it.

Dani Merakli said...

I always enjoy your Greek-themed blogs. Just to add that Cyprus grows olives too - since 4800 BC...maybe even before mainland Greece. There are 2.5 million olive trees in Cyprus. I love the title and idea for your new poem. Good luck with finishing it the way you prefer. 🌿 🍈

Beth Randle said...

Great writing Steve. The poem works for me... πŸ‘

Myra DeJonge said...

Skilfully written as ever and most interesting.

Kim Clark said...

What a great blog. I love olive as a colour (and to eat). I never knew the story of Athena and the olive tree - really like the way you've used that as an inspiration of sorts for your poem.

Rachel Harrington said...

Good blog Steve, but olive is not a colour I'm fond of. Those adjectives say it all: drab, dusty etc. I may be prejudiced because of the horrible bathroom my parents had. They called it avocado but it was all shades of olive, so depressing. Anyway, sorry for the rant. Good luck with enhancing your poem. As has already been suggested, maybe break with the strict six line stanzas?

Andy D. said...

I love the idea of the poem. It's got some great lines and imagery. Looks like it's nearly there, to me.

Martin Brewster said...

Such variety. Who knew? Or the colour-changing thing. Most informative Steve.

Peter Fountain said...

Really nicely put together post on all things olive. I enjoyed the poem but will check back at some point to see how it evolves.

Anonymous said...

You are missing Greece, Mr R. Still, another fine blog. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Enjoyed ready Ng that s and finding things out that I never knew.

Sofia Papoutsakis said...

Thank you. πŸ™‚

Sahra Carezel said...

Lovely olive blog and poem. 🍈

Georgia Steele said...

You've won me over to the humble olive with that post. I really like the latest poem as well. All good.

Bridget Durkin said...

A really interesting blog and a lovely mystery-tinged poem. Thanks. πŸ‘

Simon Pickford said...

Most enjoyable. Agree about olive wood - I have a set of wooden worry beads from Zante. I think the poem is great.

Nicci Haralambous said...

Excellent Steve, loved this (naturally). πŸ™‚

Debbie Laing said...

Enjoyable and informative blogging (as usual). I'm a big fan of olive oil and Mediterranean diet but I don't use olives in dishes. Give me a clue/suggestion for what they go well with. I loved the poem.

terry quinn said...

What an interesting article. You may have tempted me to taste an olive, something I've resisted for years.
The poem is excellent and the final line makes it, in my opinion.

Harry Lennon said...

Well done Steve. Immensely readable and instructive olive blogging, and the poetry is fabulous - can't beat a poem about a nymph.

Charlotte Mullins said...

Fascinating and so beautifully written. Your slightly supernatural poem is a delight.

Miriam Fife said...

Yes, enjoyed the olive blog and the latest lovely poem. Thank you Steve. 🍈 🍈 🍈

Penny Lockhart said...

That was fun. I didn't know much about olives, except you get them on some pizzas and they give us olive oil, so thanks for the information. I loved the poem.

Jessica said...

I used to have a cat that went crazy over olives. Give her one (pitted first) and she'd paw it and chase it around for ages, pouncing and then licking it before eventually eating it. Very strange. Nice blog and poem. Thank you.

Jools said...

Super post and a beautifully enigmatic poem. I loved it.

Mark II Ford said...

Olives in martinis, okay. What a fabulous poem though. πŸ‘

Kylie Davenport said...

I've never really tried olives so I guess I better give them a go. Supposing they're best from a supermarket deli section and not those you see in bottles. I really liked the mythical content and the way you've brought it out in that lovely poem.

Anonymous said...

Nicely done Steve.

Laura Carling said...

Magical poetry and a lovely blog. Thanks for sharing.

Natalija Drozdova said...

My grandparents had olive trees in their garden. I remember helping to harvest as a child. I loved your blog, so fluently written, and the captivating poem.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Another spiffing blog Steve, most impressive. I love the latest poem. We grow olives in Oz too (not me personally you understand). Trees were imported from France and Italy in the early 1800s and there's quite an industry now in southern and western Australia. Of course, lots of people have olive trees in their gardens, just for ornamental purposes.

CI66Y said...

Superbly written. Got to love the olive (fruit, oil, wood, girl, bathroom suite - see, I even read the comments). Excellent poem Steve. Hope the Pool win your first local derby this afternoon. Spare a thought for the Canaries at Burnley, still looking for our first point of the season! πŸ˜‚

Marianne Seymour said...

Lovely olive blogging and poetry. A joy to read. Thanks.🍈

Richard Houghton said...

Steve that's a fine poem, great idea, beautifully executed with all that mythical resonance. I was particularly struck by the lyrical quality, esp. that second stanza; and of course the wonderfully enigmatic final triplet. Bravo.

Jazmeen said...

Class!

Elia DemetriΓ‘dou said...

I lovely blog, not only I am Elia. πŸŒΏπŸ’š

Dean Lansing said...

I'm intrigued by the mystery to which you refer. I'm sure that was the intention, but it's tantalising as anything!

Zoe Nikolopoulou said...

Oh yes, all power to the mystical olive ;)

Lynne Carter said...

Your Greek-themed blogs are among your best, in my opinion. I loved this.

Anonymous said...

Olives in salads, olives on pizza, olives in ratatouille or baked into bread. They are very versatile.

Jerry Miller said...

That's a fabulous post and poem. πŸ‘

Dimitris Vlaxos said...

Very good post with poem. 🍈 πŸ‡¬πŸ‡·

Anonymous said...

Your prose flows like the finest olive oil and the poem is beautifully done.

Barry Mitchell said...

Okay, I'm tempted.

Brett Cooper said...

Nicely done Steve. I wondered if the poetic reference was to the Eleusinian Mysteries - but I think that was more to do with Demeter and poppies than olives. Anyway, most enigmatically enjoyable.

Chloe .Tudor said...

Great blog. The olive is a wonder food and the Mediterranean diet one of the healthiest. Thanks for all the background info and the teasing poetry. I loved it.

Rochelle said...

A lovely read.

Bill Dexter said...

Beautifully stated. πŸ‘

Tif Kellaway said...

This is wonderful Steve. A truly lovely and informative blog and a delightfully crafted poem. πŸ’š

Steve Rowland said...

Thanks so much everyone for all the generous comments. I was happy that I found the way to make slight mods to the poem to achieve the effect I was after while still keeping the structure as originally envisaged. As for culinary advice (Debbie), olives go well in salads, as an accompaniment to a snack of Hummus and pitta bread, in a mix of baked Mediterranean vegetables, baked (again) with several types of fish - salmon especially, in stews, casseroles and pasta dishes. Be brave, just chuck them in (pitted first). For convenience I find Lidl's 'Olive Trio' packs suit most occasions.

Danielle Tomlinson said...

Sumptuous blogging and poetry oozing intrigue. I loved this. 🍈🍈🍈

Rafic Hankir said...

More information to add to your interesting blog is about olive trees which grow very slow and can live long years. They are best for olives from 20 years to 200 years and then quality and profundity declines. If not culled they can grow for hundreds or thousands of years. Some trees become famous landmarks. The eldest olive trees are over 2000 years for sure, maybe 3000 or 4000. This is antiquity of the beautiful olive tree.

Eva Weber said...

Olives are good for a healthy heart also. ❤️

Debs Kavanagh said...

What a delightful post, beautifully written and so informative on such an unlikely subject. I loved the poem too. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Magical.

Freya Pickard said...

That's a fascinating account of olive lore and your poem is beautifully done.

Sophia Mapano said...

This was a treat to read, great blog, lovely tone to the intriguing poem. Some of the comments are fascinating too. I've bookmarked your site.

Deb Hillman said...

Wonderful. 🍈🍈🍈🍈🍈

Bella Jane Barclay said...

Packed with goodness, a brilliant read.🍈
I loved your tantalising poem of the olive girl.πŸ’š
Thanks for sharing.

Katie Parker said...

Great blog and I loved the poem.

James Wilsher said...

An instructive and beautifully-written post and I love the alluring mystique of your giftshop girl poem. πŸ‘

Χλόη said...

Ξ‘Ο…Ο„ΟŒ Ρίναι Ξ­Ξ½Ξ± Ξ»Ξ±ΞΌΟ€ΟΟŒ άρθρο. Σας Ξ΅Ο…Ο‡Ξ±ΟΞΉΟƒΟ„ΟŽ.

Louise Bowdell said...

Great blog, beautiful poetry - a harvest of words for the soul. ❤️

Colin Hawkswell said...

Great blog about the mighty olive. Nicely worked poem on theme too. πŸ‘

Jacq Slater said...

I've never been a big fan of olives but might have a rethink :) Your slightly supernatural poem is lovely.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that was good. Thanks for the share. πŸ‘

Noragh Montgomerie said...

I loved the blog and the sweet little mystery poem. 🌿

Martina Connors said...

Great blog and lovely, haunting poetry.

Jay Daley said...

Fascinating mixture of olive fact and myth rounded off by an excellent poem. Great blog Steve. πŸ‘

Leroy Heck said...

Just had to say what a brilliant post. I read the comments too. I liked the way that everyone writes in to say 'we have olives in our country too' and USA is no exception. Big olive growers here in California, plus olives grow in Texas, Georgia, Florida, Arizona, Oregon, Alabama, and Hawaii. Wonderful poem as well, I loved it. πŸ‘

Lexi Warrender said...

What a brilliant idea to write a blog all about olives. This was a great read, so well-written and full of interest. I love the way you've sprung a mysterious little poem out of it too. All beautifully done.

James Wilsher said...

Really enjoyed this Steve, great blog on an unusual topic. I loved the poem, beautifully carried off... and the title sounds like a Smiths song that never was. Brilliant stuff.

Lina Gulhane said...

Beautifully written. I always love reading your blogs and poems. I think this is one of your best.

Mina Christodoulou said...

A wonderful blog and poem. Olive love!

Sarah Kenniford said...

This was fascinating and beautifully written and I enjoyed both the prose and the poetry. One question I hoped it might answer (because I genuinely don't know) is: what is the difference between ordinary olive oil and the virgin and 'extra virgin' varieties?

Diana Maartens said...

Thank you Steve. Sorry it's taken me a while to get round to this. Your blogs are always an education and an inspiration. This was a delight to read. Today I go shopping for olives! 🍈

Tim Collins said...

Just beautifully written and what an engaging poem. πŸ‘

Sophie Pope said...

I enjoyed the blog and I loved the 'mystery behind the everyday' of your lovely poem. Fabulous stuff. ❤️

Howie Schroeder said...

Fabulous post, great writing, evocative and intriguing poetry.

Lydia Glezou said...

Very good. My grandfather owned olive groves. They are special places. I loved your poem.

Alex Stengelis said...

It was a pleasure to read such a well-written piece on such an unusual but fascinating topic. Your poetry is wonderful and you did right to respect tradition and remain allusive about the mysteries.

Jade Keillor said...

That was a treat to read, engagingly written and informative. I'd never given much thought to olives so your blog was an eye-opener. The poem is really beautiful. πŸˆπŸ€ŽπŸ‘

Owen Gain said...

Well said. Ancient wisdom comes good. Nutritionists and doctors advise that a Mediterranean diet (including olives and olive oil) is the best way to stay healthy; also the best way to help the body recover from Covid. I loved the teasing poem too.

Anonymous said...

What a great post. We should never lose sight of where we came from and what sustained us. Staying close to and celebrating the natural world makes so much sense. I loved your poem for its mix of the everyday and the arcane (indeed ineffable).

Damis X said...

Herakles' club was made out of olive wood - fit for a hero. πŸ‘

Nadia Quigley said...

Lovely blog and poem.

Charmian DaSilva said...

What a delightful blog, so informative on the subject and so beautifully written. To top it off, your intriguing poem was the olive in the martini! πŸ™‚

Dave Watson said...

Expertly crafted and a pleasure to read.

Des Storwood said...

Wonderful read, that. I loved the poem too. A real event or imagined? (not that it matters in consideration of the effect on the reader). Really very good.

Barry Hockaday said...

Interesting olive lore and a delightful poem, I liked the concept of ancient mysteries pervading the modern world.

Tam McNamara said...

This was a great read and a lovely poem.

Karisa Miaouli said...

Such a lovely read. Thank you.

Arina Metaxogeni said...

Such a fabulous post, fluent, instructive, full of history and mystery of my country. I love the poem. Pagans rule! πŸŒΏπŸ™‚

Dominic Mahon said...

Pleased to have discovered your blogs. They make great reading. Your Girl From The Giftshop is a super poem.

Mel Pearce said...

Such a pleasure to discover your well-informed post. I share your love of olives. The poem is a delight. Well done.

Jeena Murthalai said...

What an instructive read, really enjoyed it - and your luminous, lyrical poem is beautiful. πŸ‘

Jodie Ridehaulgh said...

Another fabulous read and engaging poem. I love it.

Ricky Middleton said...

Superbly written article and poem. πŸ‘

Lucie Dawson said...

Fascinating. I'm very partial to olives. Loved the magical poem too.

Caitlin Shaw said...

Such a great read and what a magical poem. 🍈