written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Tuesday 27 October 2020

Who You Gonna Call? - Not a Local M.P.


Who you gonna call?  Best friend? Tradesman?  I suppose it depends on the nature of the crisis, what anger needs venting or what message needs to be passed on, but it won’t be my local MP, that’s for sure.

I miss seeing my close friend. Isolating through this pandemic has prevented us from our usual stuff of meeting up, having train-trip days out and being ladies who lunch. Our lengthy phone calls have saved my sanity as we’ve discussed our families,  put the world to rights and talked about what we might do and where we might go when we can taste freedom.

We need our friends and we need our help network of doctor, dentist, RAC or similar and tradesmen. It’s good to have the numbers of known, reliable or well-recommended people to count on in times of need.

One morning we woke up to discover the bathroom floor awash. At some time since four a.m. – the time could be pin-pointed because it was fine when one of us nipped to the loo – the bracket holding the concealed toilet cistern had broken. The cistern dropped below the ballcock, so water continued to run. The wet bathroom was nothing compared to the room below, where water streamed down the wall, dripped along the ceiling and gushed from the light-fitting. The new carpet was sodden and the wallpaper had taken on a bubble effect.  Hearing the voice of our regular plumber on the other end of the phone was bliss. Within the hour he had diagnosed the problem, fetched parts and fixed it, our hero. The Vax worked wonders on the carpet and the wall, ceiling and light were left to dry out.

Another time, we had an electrical problem. It is going back a bit to when both kids were at home. Everyone could smell something horrid in the hallway. Everyone except me – I have no sense of smell. The meter cupboard is there and was thought to be the culprit, except that everything was fine, nothing felt hot, no sign of a problem, no dead rat. The smell was described as fishy and strong. I remembered that sort of smell coming from a plug socket in one of the places I’d lived, which turned out to be a problem with the wiring and nearly caused a fire. We sent for the electrician. The problem, for indeed there was one, turned out to be wrong wiring for the electric shower. We hadn’t made the connection of the smell being apparent when the shower was in use. It needed a higher current cable. Having it replaced led to us having a modern fuse box installed. The expense was worth the peace of mind.

Sometimes, it isn’t a professional we need, it’s the comforting voice of a family member or friend, especially if there’s a bit of news worth sharing, or wanting someone else’s opinion on something. I’ve been feeling angry the last few days. I’m not alone. I have a strong dislike, even hatred for my local MP, well, perhaps that’s unfair because I don’t know the man, but I hate everything he stands for and the party he belongs to. He’s wound me up previously on a work-related matter that I can’t share – I wish I could – but this time he’s gone for broke. He should be aware of his constituency and therefore the extent of needy families in this town. I’m furious because he voted against free meals for children during school holidays.

I definitely need to call my friend. She’ll understand.

My poem, A Question to a Local Conservative MP


Perhaps I should phone you

But what would I say

Without extreme fury

Getting in the way?

 

I don’t want to be a troll

Swiping out at you.

I want to know the reasons

Behind what you do.

 

Some fam’lies in this town

Need a helping hand.

They are your constituents,

Don’t you understand?

 

Don’t you want to help the kids?

Tell me, are you blind?

I’m aware of the hardship

Made worse by your kind.

 

Take a good look at yourself.

Liking what you see?

Misguided by the Tories

Is how you look to me.

 

PMW 2020

 

Thanks for reading, Pam x 

  


 

3 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

Very good Pam. I suspect you'd find your local Tory MP is not at home to callers - and if he was, your voice would fall on deaf ears. Is it the same deaf-eared Tory MP as the one I have in Blackpool South? One of the ironies is that all this 'government money' that is being dished out is actually our money (ultimately raised from the taxes we pay or will have to pay) so if the will of the people is that no child should go hungry, then Boris ought to follow the example already set in Scotland and Wales.

Pam Winning said...

Thank you, Steve.
Yes, we share Blackpool South MP. I've seen his update on Facebook re money allocated to Blackpool today. He sounds pleased with himself. He angers me more than Boris does.

Unknown said...

Hello friends,I am ALISHA ROSS, This is my testimony on how my ex lover come back to me..i want to say a very big thanks and appreciation to ZUMA ZUK solution home for bringing back my lover who left me for almost 2 year,i feel like my life is completely over, so one day as i was searching on the internet for recommend spell caster who will help me to bring my lover back, Finally i met a writing how so many testimony talking about how ZUMA ZUK help to restore relationship back,so i decided to give it a try so i contacted the spell caster called ZUMA ZUK Blog http://wealthylovespell.blogspot.com and explain my problems to him,and he cast spell love spell luckily within 24 hours my lover really called me and started apologizing for all he had caused me.and be begging me to accept him back and will are living together and happily married, I am the happiest woman on earth today because ZUMA ZUK has done a wonderful deeds in my life and i will continue to share this testimony, i pray God almighty give you the strength and wisdom to help more people having similar problem like mine, contact him. Email spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com Call or Whats App +15068001647