written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 31 October 2020

Who You Gonna Call?

In the early 1960s the world felt like a much more dangerous place than it does today. That is probably not the case in reality (what with the spread of Covid-19, the rise of religious fanaticism, the perils of global warming); but there were several tense months in 1962 when the Cold War posturing of  those ideologically opposed super-powers, the USA and the USSR, threatened to escalate into a devastating military showdown after Soviet missiles were installed on Cuba within striking distance of American cities.

Eventually Kennedy and Khruschev found the way to defuse the stand-off and the world stepped back from the brink of nuclear war. However, diplomatic exchanges between the two sides had proved hit-and-miss, both unpredictable and subject to delay, so much so that events on the ground had nearly escalated out of control of the negotiators. 

Shortly afterwards therefore, in 1963, a direct and secure 'emergency telecommunication link' was established between Washington and Moscow (actually between the Pentagon and Communist Party HQ), theoretically enabling the leaders of the two world powers to communicate directly should a critical need arise again. It was dubbed the cold war hotline and in the popular imagination consisted of red telephones with flashing buttons.

Apocryphal Red Telephone
In fact, in those relatively unsophisticated years over half a century ago, it was a simple teletype link that was established, for conveying text messages, not voice. There were teleprinters at each location, no red telephones and no flashing emergency lights. But since when has the imaginarium let simple facts get in the way of a good flight of fancy?

Suppose, then, that red telephones had existed at either end of a hotline linking the official residences of Kennedy and Khruschev back in 1962 - who might have called whom and what might they have had to say? I know I forsook narrative poetry for a while just a few weeks ago, but the muse is a contrary mistress, and so here narrative returns in a new piece heavy with dialogue.

Cold War Hot Line
At the appointed hour a button blinks
soundless but insistent on a red phone
in a dark room, a sanctum of power.

"The kite of truth flutters in the breeze of hope..."
There follows a momentary transatlantic hiatus.
"...and the bear cub dances with a donut in its paws."

"Jacqueline Lee is that you?"
"Yes it is. Nina Petrovna?"
"The same. How are you my dear?"
"Pregnant again and worried for the world."
"I give thanks that my babies are all grown,
flown from the nest as we say."
"You are so lucky. I hope mine will live
to do the same one day. I'm not so sure."
"We have been through wars enough.
We need no more bloodshed or sorrow." 

"But our husbands are both military men
and tomorrow the missiles might fly."
"Jacqueline Lee, I will tell you a secret. 
Nikita and I have lived together 
all these years and had three children
but we never married. Are you shocked?"
"I am. I know that in Russia you have
banished God, but to live in sin?"
"Every sandpiper praises his own swamp.
And the Marilyn Monroe problem?"
"She died. The poor woman committed suicide."
"Ah yes. That is how we do it in Mother Russia.

"Jacqueline Lee, I will speak plainly...
Time is short. The hands on the doomsday clock
twitch relentless on. You and I need to prevail
on Nikita and John to abort this madness.
I know I can do it. Do you have the president's ear?"
"I've never tried to intercede before. These are
weighty matters, Nina Petrovna, and I am
after all just a woman and a wife, not versed
in politics and statecraft, unlike yourself."
"My child, you are First Lady of the USA,
the greatest nation on Earth. That is your worth."
"What then should I do?"

"Exhort your husband, as he loves his wife,
his children and his country, to speak with Nikita,
to offer the olive branch of peace in return
for suitable concessions, a backing off
with no loss of face to either side. Ask him
to step up as statesman onto the world's stage
and orchestrate a way out of this madness.
I give you my word that Russia will comply."

"And then? If Jack decides to act on what I say?"
"They will negotiate, they will agree a solution,
they will take the credit, but we shall have peace."
"If we are successful, is that how it will be?"
"It is, Jacqueline Lee. Good night, stay strong."
"Good-bye, Nina Petrovna. May God bless you."

The line goes quiet. The world turns uncertain.
It is one minute to midnight.






Thanks for reading. Promote peace, stay safe, S ;-)

45 comments:

CI66Y said...

Bloody hell, Steve. I take my hat off to you. I read your blog at half-time as a distraction from City's abysmal first half performance against Norwich (3-1 down at home) and I thought you poem was fun and fanciful but when I checked couple of websites it turns turns out the Kennedys and Khruschevs did know each other, had met socially, that Nina was a very intelligent woman who could speak five languages and even that Jackie was indeed pregnant at the end of 1962. Not so fanciful after all then.

Steve Rowland said...

Would I lie to you Clive? If Jackie and Nina had conversed at that time (and there's no evidence to say they did or they didn't) they might even have chosen, for additional privacy, to do so in French, a language they were both fluent in. By the way, sorry for your loss - I see 1-3 is how it ended. I hope the Seasiders fare better away to Burton in a while but one of our first choice players has tested positive for Covid so that could be a bad omen.

Nigella D said...

I really enjoyed that :)

Carey Jones said...

Very interesting (for one who is too young to have been affected by those events). I was disappointed to learn that the top secret hotline was less sexy in reality than its portrayal in cold war movies, but the inventiveness of your poem made up for that. It has some brilliant touches, not least the narrative opening and closing verses and those password lines (I assume that's what they were) which are genius images in themselves. Really very clever and touching, the whole piece.

Gemma Gray said...

Women as the peace-makers. I like that. I don't understand what Marilyn Monroe has to do with it though. What am I missing?

Charlotte Mullins said...

Extraordinary. Sometimes the poems you post leave me almost breathless.

Steve Rowland said...

Gemma, there were strong rumours in 1962 that JFK and Marilyn Monroe were having an affair and her death in August 1962 (aged just 36) was claimed to be as a consequence of that liaison with some even suggesting - as Nina intimates in the poem - that maybe the suicide was actually no such thing but a clinical intervention by state agencies to resolve an awkward situation.

Mac Southey said...

Tantalising stuff and another brilliant read. 👍

Rod Downey said...

Cracking poem Steve. All power to the imaginarium :)

Tom Shaw said...

I love your blogs, man. Never know what to expect. You're giving us back our history as myth!

Frida Mancour said...

Ach. Who cares if this is not exactly how it happened. You have taken (?) poetic licence to tell the moral truth of a world crisis. I like also the comment that recognised women as the peacemakers.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

It coulda, mighta....ever the romantic, Steve, but compellingly told :)

Kieran Heaney said...

👍

Tyger Barnett said...

I didn't know dialogue poetry was a thing. This was most interesting.

Dan Francisco said...

I tell you Steve if Biden wins tonight (please Great Mover & Shaker look kindly on us) then it will be another historic step back from the brink for the USA.

Flloydwith2Ells said...

So good, Steve. You hit the nail on the head every time, spot on, pin point accuracy - I'm running out of cliches but gee I loved this, the blog and the poem. I remember that time, I remember trying to avoid the news broadcasts back then too, hovering on the edge of facing up to reality without actually avoiding it totally. Another minute to midnight and the atomic clock still silently but inevitably ticks.

Boz said...

You snashed it la! Great twist.

Deke Hughes said...

I loved the subversion inherent in the idea of the first ladies secretly sorting the world crisis. Not just a clever but a moving poem.

Grant Trescothick said...

Excellent Steve. I was fascinated to learn about the origins of the Washington-Moscow hotline and I was intrigued by what you did with the poem. That was a great blog.

Mac said...

A good first stanza, clever use of abort and J being pregnant.Liked the tension and knife edge drama.Good stuff.

Saskia Parker said...

Wonderful! A fascinating blog and a very moving poem.

bob c said...

Mrs Strangelove?



“Gentlemen, You Can’t Fight In Here! This is The War Room!”: best line in a movie.

Simon Pickford said...

Very good. I liked the apocryphal phone call poem immensely. I can't imagine Melania Trump on the hotline with Mrs Putin (if there is one)!

Sahra Carezel said...

What a terrific idea for a poem. I loved it. ❤️

Debbie Laing said...

Wow, fascinating that info about the cold war stand-off (before my time) and I loved the hotline poem. Thanks for sharing your blogs Steve. They're always appreciated. Stay safe.

Steve Rowland said...

Ha Ha Bob, yes. Strangelove, brilliant film. What was it that the President said on the phone to Dimitri? "One of our generals did a silly thing. He's odrered our planes to attack your country." And in 1963 the women were thought to be good for nothing but lolling about in bikinis!

Anonymous said...

Blessed be the peacemakers. I loved the blog and the poem, impressed by your constant experimentation with forms.

Ben Templeton said...

Great line "and the bear cub dances with a donut in its paws", such a playful image. Russian bear and American donut, I assume. It took over 25 years to get there. I may be wrong, but I seem to recollect that the baby Jackie K was pregnant with in your poem didn't survive for very long, just part of the dark shadow over the Kennedy dynasty.

Kenny Garcia said...

Very good Steve. I still have a CND 'button' somewhere. Sometimes I'm amazed that we made it this far without those nukes being fired off.

Jools said...

What a great telephone conversation poem :) I love your blogs.

Miriam Fife said...

One of my uncles I believe worked at the submarine base at Holy Loch on the west coast of Scotland. It became home to the US nuclear subs in 1961. I wish it could have happened as you tell it in your poem :)

Diana Maartens said...

Thank you for a fascinating read. It was an intriguing enough take on 'Who you gonna call?' but then to spin it as you did in your hotline poem was a lovely surprise.

Anonymous said...

Loved that. Beautiful poem, very clever. Peace.

Colin Hawkswell said...

So not a very hot line in reality (at least in the early days)! Thank you Steve, the blog was insightful and the poem inspired. Very good.

Bickerstaffe said...

What a great idea for a poem. Quite moving to read, real or not!

Brad Gekowski said...

Very nicely done. 👍

Brett Cooper said...

Another fine post. What a bonzer idea for a poem.

Jen McDonagh said...

A most entertaining read. I loved the poem - what a great concept. Women will always put the world to rights ;)

Dani Merakli said...

Brilliant idea and what a fascinating read. Well done! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Roger Wakeley said...

I've never been a fan of dialogue poetry (except in plays) but your recent birthing a football piece and this latest poem have made me reconsider. Thanks for sharing.

Tony Sedgwick said...

An intriguing notion and a clever poem. Just one historical point, I believe Nikita and Nina Khruschev were in fact married.

Steve Rowland said...

Tony, you are correct in this; however, they had lived unmarried as man and wife since 1923, it was their status at the time the poem is set, and they only got married officially in 1965 after Nikita had been stood down from power the previous year. And just to wrap up the tale, the child that Jackie was carrying at the time of the poem was born Patrick Bouvier Kennedy in August 1963 but only lived for two days before dying of infantile respiratory distress syndrome - a loss that was overshadowed by the assassination of the President three months later.

Lucinda Sheppard said...

What a fascinating blog and poem (and comments -read them all) and such a clever idea. I've learned a lot and was most impressed.

Jambo said...

Genius blog!

Stu Hodges said...

I enjoyed the stylised way your red telephone protagonists (can there be two?) addressed each other. Very cleverly done, the whole thing.