written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 21 November 2020

Satyrical

23:00:00 Posted by Steve Rowland , , , , , , 65 comments
You'll be expecting 'funny', no doubt, a bit of pointed lampooning into somebody's broadside? If so, I'm sorry to disappoint. When it comes to suitable cases for satirical treatment, for the ridiculing of their follies and/or vices, there are just too many obvious targets on our doorstep. We have Blustering BoJo, Prickly Patel, Matt Halfcock, Liz the Cheese and demonic Dominic's Cummings and goings; while over the water the bloated Trumpkin and his legion of priestesses are noisily baying to God to overturn the result of the US election. None of them actually needs very much help from anyone to make themselves look completely ridiculous, so I'm fixing to train my fire on a more insidious target.

You know I like to twist and tease unexpected meanings and associations out of words. It's but a short step in my mind from satire and satirical to satyr and  satyrical  (this week's poem) so I've got it in for sex pests this week.

Satyrs were mythological Greek figures, of course, σάτυρος (sátyros), male nature spirits with ears and a tail resembling those of a horse and a permanent, exaggerated erection. They were companions of the god Dionysus, loved wine, music, dancing and women, inhabited remote locales like mountain slopes, woodlands and pastures, and often attempted to seduce nymphs and mortal women, usually without much success.

a satyr out on the pull
Over centuries, while retaining essentially human form, the satyr became more of a goat-boy, assuming caprine features, horns and shaggy hooves, for reasons lost now in the olive groves of mutating mythologies. What we are left with are two concepts. One is the faun, the relatively harmless creature of fantasy tales, ballet and children's literature. The other is satyriasis, a medical term denoting excessive lust or sexual desire, the male equivalent of nymphomania - though 'excessive' is a somewhat subjective measure.

Where satyrs of myth might have been ribald, relatively harmless and even rather sadly comic representations of unrequited male lust, modern-day satyrs in the guise of the work-place predator or sex pest are anything but harmless as the #MeToo movement, the accusations levelled against the likes of Hollywood's Harvey Weinstein, Roger Ailes (CEO of Fox News), Jeffrey Epstein in the USA and numerous naughty Tories and prominent business men in this country has proved. 

Having a fling with your boss because of a mutual attraction is not necessarily advisable, but it happens the world over. That is completely different territory from being expected to show someone sexual favours in order to get a part in a film or play (the infamous 'couch audition'), to gain advancement at work, even to just keep your job, or having to put up with unwanted sexual advances or inappropriate attempts at intimacy on a regular basis. Those are coercive acts rooted in power, or rather the abuse of it, patronising at best, bullying at worst. Is it coincidence that many of the perpetrators are, how shall I phrase it, not the most prepossessing of physical specimens?

I was always uncomfortable with 'lad culture' when I witnessed it in the work place or among friends. I'd like to think it's not as prevalent as it was forty, thirty, even twenty years ago; that the social conditioning that created predatory offenders like Weinstein and Ailes, or the eighteen serving Conservative Party ministers accused of various forms of inappropriate sexual behaviour, has not played a part in forming the attitudes of a new generation of workplace bosses, politicians, younger people in any position of power. It would be good to be able to consign the sex pest as a breed, along with male (and female) chauvinists, to the dustbin of history, unacceptable behaviour in the twenty-first century.

To lighten the mood, this sly and racy narrative is partially indebted to Greek myth but also to a novel I read earlier in the year of lockdown, Sylvia Townsend Warner's wonderfully witty tale of rural English witchery, Lolly Willowes. There may be the slightest nod to cult movie The Wicker Man in there as well. The rest of it - the piece which passeth all understanding - is merely the working of the imaginarium. I hope it surprises, entertains, even amuses (which is the intent).

Satyrical
Relishing the syzygy of a dark moon,
they've all slipped soft and soundless
from their beds, their sleeping houses,
these women of the village moving
like ghosts through midnight streets,
maidens, wives and widows all
answering the call of the thirtieth.* 
Bare of feet and beneath their cloaks
each one entirely naked,

they neither speak nor offer signs
of recognition as they hasten together
across dewy pasture to the woods,
the lady of the manor, vicar's wife,
farmers' daughters, affianced maids,
dowagers and spinsters driven alike
by an urging as old as the world.
Libidinous questing of the sisterhood
makes moist their loins,

nipples harden, pulses quicken
as they pass through the oak grove
to the slope beyond;  and there,
pricked out by starlight,
hard on the rise stand the satyrs.
The women form a circle round,
raise up their wanton eyes,
cast off their cloaks and sigh
with mounting anticipation.

* the thirtieth division is that final black-out phase before the first sliver of new moon appears

Thanks for reading. Mind how you go, S ;-)

65 comments:

Boz said...

Ha ha, typical male fantasy poem la!

Nigella D said...

Ha ha, typical female fantasy as well! I had to look syzygy up. It would make a great scrabble word. I loved the blog :D

Charlotte Mullins said...

Thank you for taking a position against sexploitation. It does still go on in many spheres of life. Tbh I'm not sure what to make of your Satyrical poem.

Darby said...

You let off the bloated Trumpkin (as you called him) very lightly there Steve. Have you seen the transcript of that infamous conversation he had with Billy Bush on the set of Days Of Our Lives? I'll quote you some: "I'm automatically attracted to beautiful - I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab 'em by the pussy. You can do anything." That from the man who millions of Americans voted to be their President in 2016.

Tom&Toes said...

Racy indeed! I'm not sure I should let Toes read it (LOL).

Matt West said...

You been at the suggestive digestives again squire? Think we'll win at Donny tonight?

Jeanie Buckingham said...

When and where is this, Steve, is it possible to send a link or, maybe, organize a coach outing?

Jen McDonagh said...

At the next dark moon (I've never heard it called that before) I'm heading for the woods on the off-chance :D Seriously, this was a powerful blog and a clever poem. Well done.

terry quinn said...

I had to look up that word as well. Excellent blog as usual Steve,

Gemma Gray said...

A lovely blog Steve. It sounds like I need to read Lolly Willowes :)

Emily Blythe said...

Don't forget that 'Blustering BoJo' has been known to slide his hand up a woman's thigh under the table. Shameless the whole bunch of them. As for Trump, you know what they say about men with small hands ;)

Lizzie Fentiman said...

I don't think satyrs made it down under if you get my drift, more of an old-world phenomenon. Sex pests though, oh boy, Oz has got its fair share of them!

CI66Y said...

Are you implying that our stout English men of yesteryear didn't want or know how to satisfy their womenfolk between the sheets? :)

Steve Rowland said...

Clive, yes I believe I am on the whole, and I thought that was fairly common knowledge. ;-)

Hannah Wrigley said...

Your poem reminds me of the Dennis Wheatley books I borrowed from my much older sister. I wasn't supposed to read them but I did. I don't remember much but midnight covens in the woods sounds about right.

Flloydwith2Ells said...

Super post, Steve. From my experience, there are now generations of men who do not aspire to lad culture type behaviour, but they are still in the minority. A long way to go to change the culture.

The poem is terrific, even if it's not actually true. Or maybe, because...

Tom Shaw said...

Another brilliant piece of writing, my friend. As it goes, the last time I was in a movie theater before Covid was to see Bombshell, the movie about the first woman to publicly expose the climate of sexploitation at Fox News and how Ailes was eventually brought down. That was the start of #MeToo. I checked the comment about satyrs being old world but I think some of them made it across the pond because we have our strange goings-on among the whispering pines. Shine on in the darkness, it's gonna get better.

Martin Brewster said...

You ARE very funny though. Prickly Patel, Matt Halfcock and Liz the Cheese made me snort with laughter! You write so compellingly about your subject as well and I loved the racy poem even though (or perhaps because) I'm a bloke. 👏

K. Worth said...

I have a dim memory of a Fellini film called Satyricon but I think that was set in ancient Rome. I thought this was another great blog and I enjoyed your poem :)

Peter Fountain said...

You almost make it sound an acceptable way to spend a dark moon night! I liked the clever use of double meanings in the last verse :)

Binty said...

A great blog Steve. I had to read the poem twice - I just had to ;)

Robbie said...

I liked the reference to “affianced maids”. Made me think of dowries, for some reason.

Mary Jane Evans said...

Thanks for sharing Steve. I always enjoy your blogs, such inventive pieces. You said you were worried that your poem might shock - well, for me the really shocking thing is that 18 serving Tory ministers have been accused of inappropriate sexual conduct. So much for them being the party of family values, but then we all know they are two-faced chancers. As for your poem, I thought it was very witty.

Miriam Fife said...

I love the poem. Do satyrs operate in the winter months or only when the weather is bonny? (asking for a friend...)

Dan Francisco said...

Hey Steve. You do a real nice job of reminding folks of the double value system that still operaties when it comes to male and female sexuality. We might have thought we'd got all this sorted out in the 60s and 70s but that really only applied to a liberal-educated minority. I've watched my own daughter struggle to make her way in a male-dominated world. She's come up against some real shits let me tell you. Reality is it's nearly as hard for women as it is for people of color (red, yellow, black and brown) to be accepted for who they are and to progress with equality in the world of work. Tides of historical prejudice are slow to turn! I'm sure there's even well educated folks who could read your blog and your very funny poem and still think it's somehow unnatural for women to enjoy sex in quite the same way men do.

Deke Hughes said...

That's an interesting blog Steve. I can't fault your assault on sex pests and I like your poem for the most part, clever idea and sly and racy as advertised. Agreed, syzygy is a great word and the concept of the poem amuses as you had intended. "Libidinous questing of the sisterhood" is one of many brilliant phrases, and then "makes moist their loins" had me squirming. Of course I know what you mean, but is that the best way to convey it? Perhaps it's just me.

Grant Trescothick said...

Well and entertainingly said. Satyrs and sex-pests are breeds apart.

Billy Banter said...

In my experience they all need a good banging to keep them in there place wether they like it or not :D

Harry Lennon said...

Bloody hell BB. What are you? Some sort of stone age Romeo? You may (or not) have meant that comment in jest but it's crass!

That side-tracked me. I was going to compliment you on another great blog Steve. You write with such flair and I think the poem is ace, witty and subversive. I would have expected nothing less from what I know of your work.

Saskia Parker said...

A fab and spot-on blog and it's still refreshing to find men speaking up against sex pests. I've had to fend off my fair share of unwanted attention and it's never pleasant. So thank you.

Mac said...

I think you really enjoyed writing this, letting off steam or something "pricked out by starlight" great.
Mac.

Ben Templeton said...

Top notch blogging as usual Steve. I really enjoyed this. Matt Halfcock and Liz the Cheese had me chortling, the stuff about satyrs was fascinating and who really could take exception with either your tilt against sex predators or your delightfully conceived poem concerning the urges of the libidinous sisterhood? Thanks as ever for sharing.

Rochelle said...

Good satyrs are not easy to find these days! :)

Jade Keillor said...

I love the poem, so atmospheric. And those clever double-entendres. I too had never heard the terms dark moon or thirtieth division before, nor the word syzygy. I enjoyed reading the comments (apart from that silly Billy Banter one) and as for "makes moist their loins", I didn't have a problem with that either.

Zoe Nikolopoulou said...

I infer that your satyrs are chivalrous and will treat every woman as equally deserving of their attentions. That's thoughtful. It reminds me of a line from Suntan: "You must kiss everybody or kiss nobody at all." Have you seen it? A film by Argyris Papadimitropolous.

Rod Downey said...

Great blog Steve. I've always rather envied your imaginative streak. Long may you run.

Kenny Garcia said...

As well-expressed and thought-provoking as ever. I hope next week we move one step closer to getting rid of the pussy grabber in the White House. He has shamed America.

Nick Ball said...

Well nailed! (Can I leave it at that?) ;D

Jacq Slater said...

Another fabulous read, Steve. I love these. I've not heard of Sylvia Townsend Warner so just googled her. What a girl - member of the Communist Party in the 1920s and 1930s, worked for the Red Cross in the Spanish Civil War, a musicologist and a poet as well as a novelist, fell in love with a female poet and lived with her for 40 years during which time she wrote half a dozen novels that are all about to be republished in Penguin modern classics in the new year. I'll be checking them out. I thought your poem was funny, cleverly worked and nicely subversive.

Brett Cooper said...

Job done sir, for this surprised, entertained and amused as you intended. 👏

Malcolm Drysdale said...

I have every sympathy with the line you've taken regarding sex pests and predators. I also feel a little guilty when I think back to some of the sexist behaviour of my own teenage years, partly the result of going to a boys' school. Older and wiser now.

Lesley Harrison said...

Bravo. You had me feeling slightly sorry for the satyrs of antiquity, but their descendants in your racy poem don't appear to do too badly, performing a public service (!) no less. :)

Anonymous said...

Thumbs up for this one Mr. R. 👍 Better rude than prude is what I say.

Jayden Lomas said...

Were satyrs hung like horses because (along with the ears and tail) they were supposed to be a sort horse/human hybrid? And how were they related to centaurs? Weren't they also half man half horse? What's a good source on all this mythological beasts stuff?

Gerry Ferguson said...

A right-on blog and a fab poem. There's nowt wromg with a bit of racy, pal.👍

K0NR&D said...

Keep them coming....the blogs, of course! Another powerful read.

Mel Goldsmith said...

I thought your blog was very well written and makes some valuable points as well as finishing with a witty poem. There are more than a few shades of grey out there though, and I'm not just referring to American women who are happy to make excuses for their pussy-grabbing President. I was reading a blog the other week by a young woman who speaks out frequently on issues of what we used to call sexual politics. She is pro equality and against pests and predators as you might expect. The curious stat is that over nine-tenths of her several thousand social media followers are men. That doesn't feel quite right.

Sahra Carezel said...

Brilliant poetry, I love it. ❤️

Jazmeen said...

All I want for Christmas is a satyr! 🎄

Anonymous said...

"pricked out by starlight, hard on the rise stand the satyrs" - genius lines in a beautifully witty poem. 👍

Bella Jane Barclay said...

Syzygy, what a great word. I loved this blog for its swipe at sex pests and for its self-confessed racy narrative poetry - though actually 'Satyrical' strikes me as being both clever and refreshingly libertarian as well.

Jambo said...

Satyrs is an anagram of strays - just saying ;)

Damian Curtis said...

I really enjoyed this. Well done! 👍

Gerry McGee said...

What a brilliant post, a well-argued analysis of a nasty phenomenon (which I'm not so sure is in decline by the way) and then a witty poem to finish. Excellent - have bookmarked your site.

Anonymous said...

This is topical once again with the trial of GM in NY.

Tif Kellaway said...

OK that was an interesting read.

David Thomson said...

It's good to note that in the two-and-a-bit years since you wrote this blog all the charlatans you named (Johnson, Patel, Hancock, Truss and Cummings) have fallen foul of their own hubris and incompetence - not that we're out of the wood of fools yet. I thought this was a great read, informative about the folklore of satyrs and pointed about sex pests. I wasn't sure if the poem was perhaps a little gratuitous but I've read it a couple of times and it's certainly most wittily done - plus your female readership seems to think it's okay, so maybe I'm just being prudish!

Lucie Dawson said...

I've been shocked (as I'm sure many have) by the revelations recently about policemen coercing women into having sex or plain raping them. Predators in the law enforcement agencies just seems much more cynical than what happens in the movie industry, not that it's acceptable anywhere. What has gone wrong with the vetting process? Having got that off my chest, I thought this was an excellent blog and I enjoyed the libertarian feminist slant of your poem.

Rita Miles said...

You make satyrs sound quite endearing! I loved the poem.

Pauline Monroe said...

What a clever and delightfully rude poem.

Briony Hall said...

Very well said there about sex pests. Interesting about satyrs too. And what a surprisingly enjoyable poem.

M.T. Wagoner said...

Good that a NY jury has finally found ex-President Trump guilty of sexual offences against Jean Carroll. I thought this was a well-argued blog and I enjoyed your bold (!) poem.

Olivia Franklin said...

Absolutely fabulous. "...pricked out by starlight, hard on the rise" had me laughing out loud! Where can these satyrs be found???

Tom Middlemas said...

Class.👏 Dark moon, 13th division, syzygy - an astronomical treat. As for your "sly and racy narrative" poem, it's a blinder.

Molly Holliday said...

Tremendous. There's no place for sex pests anymore. This was pointed but also funny and what a saucy poem. I loved it.