written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 19 December 2020

Truly, Madly Palindromic

This will surely go down as the weirdest blog I've posted in my time at the blog face. Most mighty was the struggle and many the hours spent (some might substitute 'wasted') in striving to devise poetry to fit the palindromic theme while also being worthy of public scrutiny.

Let's do the basics first: palindromic (from the Greek) meaning running back again, applies to anything that reads the same backwards as forwards, be that a word, a sentence, a verse, a number, an image.

People got very excited on 2nd February this year because the date was palindromic: 02-02-2020. I suppose they find the symmetry intriguing; some even ascribe magical properties to such occurrences. (Americans get more of them than the rest of the world because they insist on inverting day and month!) Words like Dad, Mum, gig, Oxo, boob, kayak, rotor, marram, deified, reviver are all obvious palindromes as are phrases such as 'Do geese see god?', 'Madam, I'm Adam', 'Was it a car or a cat I saw?' and my all-time favourite 'A man, a plan, a canal, Panama'. 

London's iconic Oxo tower
Devising a palindromic phrase is one thing, creating a palindromic poem is a whole other order of madness; and I suppose the ultimate bonkers palindromic challenge would be to devise a palindromic poem composed entirely of palindromic words! 

I didn't go that far, but I am able to offer up two brave attempts at palindromic poetry, make of them what you will. The first isn't truly palindromic in the strictest sense, in that it only reads the same forwards and backwards on a word by word basis (more or less, easy peasy, huh?). The second is pure palindrome, letter for letter, front to back and vice versa.

Attempt #1. I shared this with the Blackpool Stanza group recently. I think they were a bit non-plussed but they were polite about it. I struggled to retain a sense of well, sense, running through the poem. The demands of a palindrome tend to wreck meaning, leaving the piece sounding like a fairly haphazardly herded assembly of cryptic crossword clues...

Eton Gag Note (aka Another Fine Mess)
Never backward coming forward,
well, function doesn't just (incidentally)
mean 'music as food of love'.
But affairs of state,
poor broken-hearted Duke,
left scores to settle.

Production: Fluid body of works,
perhaps emotion some show, who
all-enthralling orchestra chamber
slowly outplays it, that note again,
until nothing remains.

What is this arrangement?
Love ends up time after time
messing time.

After time up-ends love arrangement,
this is what remains: nothing! Until...
again, note that it plays out slowly,
chamber orchestra enthralling all
who show some emotion, perhaps
works of body fluid production.

Settle to scores left, Duke 
broken-hearted, poor state of affairs,
but love of food as music?
Mean, incidentally, just doesn't
function well forward.
Coming backward? Never!

I was hoping to score extra points for that one by virtue of mentioning forwardness and backwardness and making several references to Shakespeare's seasonal revel, 'Twelfth Night '. Be lenient, please. Okay, time to shift up a gear by way of some palindromic art work. 

part of Rick Griffin's cover art for the Grateful Dead's Aoxomoxoa LP
Attempt #2. This way madness lies, or as they would say in deepest Palindromia: "Seils send amya wsiht!" I think I've been watching too much Twin Peaks recently, for what follows sounds like it might just have leaked in from a cryptic parallel reality. Anyway, I've suffered for the sake of this week's theme, so now it's your turn gentle readers...

Levon's Novel (aka 23rd Era Schizoid Poem)
Ratskrad, cigar tip red,
no place demanding
I nag nitro pseudonym,
no remit. Deity lore's mastitides
planet, silent agile times
won a myriad-draw era,
faced illicit cat - now trade,
tale missal wonky.

Doom evil era-stressed hoodoo,
metal bore her oblate mood;
ooh, desserts are live, moo!

Dy'know lass, I'm elated
art won tactic - Illi decaf a reward -
dairy, man!
Ow, semite ligatne listen...Alps.
Edit it Sam, sorely tied
timer on. My, no due
sporting an ignid name decal.
Ponder Pi, tragic dark star.

And breathe... Well, I shan't be doing one of those again for a while, but thanks so much for reading. And before anybody takes exception to my spelling of that well-known brand of Italian coffee, let me just say that I have adopted the original and truly authentic spelling in the poem because everyone knows (look it up if need be) that the Italian alphabet does not possess a letter 'y'. 

Finally, by way of seasonal compensation for all of the above, here is a link to a cheering musical ditty by the wonderful Fountains of Wayne who lost Adam Schlesinger to Covid-19 earlier in the year. Just click on the song title. Enjoy:  I Want An Alien For Christmas 

Merry Festives, one and all...🎄 S ;-)

23 comments:

LadyCurt said...

Wow ! Two for the price of one !! Well done. It was a difficult task...

Binty said...

However long did that take you???

Malcolm Drysdale said...

Brave or foolhardy? I'm impressed by the technical achievement, but as you say the sense is a bit elusive. Still, that's upped by exposure to the palindrome by 99%. Merry Christmas to you.

Jeanie Buckingham said...

Well done Steve.

Nigella D said...

Your blog was fascinating to read as always and I'm sure you put great energy into those poems. I just about followed the Eton one but couldn't really make anything much of the other apart from admiring the ingenuity.

Tony Sedgwick said...

I loved the Fountains of Wayne song. Did I count to see if there were 17 eyes? You bet I did!

Rod Downey said...

Wow. How difficult was this? I figure if there's anyone who could wrestle a good palindromic poem out of the English language it would be you.

Steve Rowland said...

Palindromic verse lives in the poetic margins - and so it should! (Form over content.)

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Thanks at least for introducing me to the concept of palindromic poems. I've never read any before and I'm not sure I'd ever try to write one, but at least I know the nature of the challenge now.

Boz said...

Weird is the word la! Why? is also the word - though I love that last line "Ponder Pi, tragic dark star".

otyikondo said...

Excellent work, Steve. The 2nd Feb. instance passed me by for some reason, but I did celebrate wildly on my birthday five years ago, just before half-past nine in the morning, as the number sequence 3.14.15 9:26:53 popped up for a second. I even got a T-shirt to mark it. After the Herculean efforts on this one, I recommend you go away and read Mark Dunn's Ella Minnow Pea (it's quite short, and great fun) or Georges Perec's La Disparition, and come back and regale us with something lipogrammatic in the same vein. Finland has loads of palindromes, by the way. Longest - normally - is saippuakauppias (soap dealer), although there are those who declare it should be saippuakivikauppias, who would be a dealer in soapstone. A Finnish comic radio programme called "Alivaltiosihteeri" used to do weekly palindromes and palindromic poems, and also played a hell of a lot of Neil Young. Which was nice. Merry Xmas.

Martin Brewster said...

Just wow! 👏

Tom Shaw said...

Here's my 10 cents worth Steve. I understand the challenge and I sure appreciate the effort you must have put into crafting these two poems but you said it yourself palindromes appeal because they're kind of elegant and easy to get the measure of. See, I wouldn't even know that second one was a palindrome if you hadn't told me and it didn't make much sense to me, so kind of self-defeating. Sorry if I'm not getting it. You're a great poet but give me something I can connect with emotionally. Anyway buddy, season's greetings.

Mac Southey said...

I never realised palindromic poetry was a thing. Well wrestled! I loved the FoW bonus. Merry Christmas Steve.

Jon Cromwell said...

Abstruse - I think that's the word. I just about followed the first one and I admire the technical achievement of the second but wonder (as you intimated you do yourself) whether it was really worth the graft. Still, interesting and thanks for sharing. I wish you the happiest possible Christmas.

Deke Hughes said...

Tantalising the way your palindrome poems seem to make sense for a couple of lines (like at the start of the third part of Levon's Novel) and then don't, a bit like picking up odd phrases in a very distorted broadcast. As to what it's all about, I couldn't say and that's the downside for me. Merry Christmas from the Principality.

Saskia Parker said...

Loved the theme and well done for both poems. Not easy and I wouldn't even dare to try. Also the Rick Griffin illustration is brilliant. Wishing you a very Happy Christmas. x

Brett Cooper said...

Weird maybe, but also kind of wonderful; the second one the sort of thing that might make perfect sense if you were tripping (ha ha). I liked the GD reference. I guess you know that Owsley came and lived in Oz for a while, allegedly in a tent in the outback somewhere? Now that's weird! Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

That was brave. Maybe it's me but I'm not really getting the joy of palindromes. Sorry Mr R...

Steve Rowland said...

I've mixed feelings about palindromic poetry. Per my earlier comment I've found that content (meaning) does come off second best in what is a supremely technical exercise. I can well understand that the appeal is limited ;-)

Beth Randle said...

Fiendishly difficult, so well done. 👍

Billy Banter said...

ahahahaha :D

Fin Taverner said...

Almost brilliant!