written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 3 July 2021

Donkey Ices

Hello everyone. Here's the first 100% all new Saturday Blog in a month. It's July. The sun is supposed to be blazing down on the jewel of the north. As I write, it's drizzling. No matter, this one is all about  donkey ice creams. 

donkey ices
However, lest you be misled by the fancy graphic, I'm not talking about ice cream for donkeys (though they do enjoy a slurp on the sands on hot days); I mean ice cream that is made out of donkey's milk. 

Don't pull the long face! You think I'm kidding? Not only is it a thing, it's the latest healthy fad - although donkey milk has long been held in high regard around the Mediterranean. The ancient Greeks understood its medicinal properties, Egyptian queens used to bathe in it, the Romans valued it as a healthier option than cow's milk. Their descendants now make very fine ice cream using it, while in Serbia it is turned into Pule, an artisan cheese, and in central Asia fermented donkey milk, Kumys, is a favourite drink. It is also being used increasingly by the cosmetics industry in skin creams and soaps (Cleopatra was right), and during the Covid pandemic sales of pasteurised donkey's milk have rocketed because it is naturally high in vitamins C, D and E.

I was surprised to learn there are nearly 200 different breeds of donkey worldwide; actually that should be 'were', because several well-documented variants have become extinct in the last couple of centuries. Italy stands out  for having both the largest population of donkeys and the greatest number of breeds (16 historically), of which the Ragusano and the Romagnola are the most common, sometimes in herds of up to 800 strong, as it takes 15 donkeys to produce a gallon of milk. For a long time, Italy was the only country producing and consuming donkey milk products in any quantity, but France, Switzerland and the USA are catching up.

milking the donkey
Donkeys require milking three times a day. The raw milk must be pasteurised to make it safe for human consumption. It is low in fats, naturally sweet and kids love it. It is given to children who are allergic to cow's milk. It is also perfect for making ice cream and Italy, home of gelato, is where to find donkey ice cream.

Italians perfected the art of ice cream making and gave it to the rest of the world in a rich variety of forms including gelato, spumoni and tartufo. Gelato is straight-ahead ice cream to be eaten by the scoop in a cone from a street-vendor or a gelateria, and comes in a multitude of different flavours. Tartufo (literally truffle) is a confection of two flavours of ice-cream and a syrup all encased in a chocolate shell. Spumoni is a moulded gelato consisting of three layers of ice cream. It originated in Naples as a red, white and green combination in celebration of the Italian flag (cherry, vanilla and pistachio flavours) but has become most wide-spread in the classic pink, white and brown combination (of strawberry, vanilla and chocolate) known the world over as Neapolitan. Such a one made with donkey's milk is said to be the height of sophisticated taste, though admittedly I've not had a chance to put the claim to the test yet.

a dish of the finest
To round out the blog, here's my latest poetic confection, concerning Naples and the plight of its young people. That city, because of decades long 'issues' over proper civic planning, has a dearth of affordable accommodation, which means that is it common for young people to have little option but to live with their parents through their twenties and into their thirties. That, combined with the conservative, catholic nature of southern Italian society, presents certain challenges to courting couples wishing to lead a happy, healthy love life. 

The poem is still a work in progress, pulling in oblique references to the commedia dell'arte as well as a bit of meteorology, in depicting the plight of young Neapolitans. You'll see I've gone for a triple-layered, colour-coded approach. It's a long way from donkeys, though there is an ice cream reference! Let me know what you think.

Neapolitan
Parked Fiats and Ferraris bounce alike on sloping side streets,
modestly newspapered windows screening the sight, at least,
of eagerly sought passionate Saturday night back seat liaisons 
between each hot harlequin and pliant upholstered columbine.
Catholic convention constrains these courtships, automobility 
seemingly the secret to a successful love life, that plus a copy 
of Il Mattino and a reel of sticky tape.  Still, they're doing OK,
happily shifting through gears to their chequered flag. Sadly,
tonight no aftermath gelatos at some cosy café along the quay,
no close-held promenade despite a lovers' moon;  a fiery wind
cries in from Africa, flegetonte  foreclosing fun, forcing young
zanies and soubrettes home early, to parents and lonely rooms.

Thanks for reading, stay cool, S ;-)

37 comments:

Binty said...

Welcome back Steve. I'll take the poem (loved it) but pass on the donkey products.

Flloydwith2Ells said...

Fascinating factoids, Steve, as usual. I grow - or at least my mental library grows - whenever I read your blogs.

I savoured the strawberry and chocolate layers of the poem, but sadly reading vanilla is no longer possible for me, so I just assume it was as tasty as the other two.

Ross Madden said...

Donkey ice-cream sounds the unlikeliest thing but there was even a programme on the radio the other week that was saying how nice it is. I enjoyed your poem about young Neapolitans. 👏

Jean McDonald said...

You learn something every day. A very interesting blog. Thank you 👏

Dan Ewers said...

Bravo Steve. I think I read somewhere that Cleopatra had a herd of 1,000 asses to keep her supplied with bathing milk :)

Nigella D said...

I loved the blog and the cleverly presented poem. 'Automobility' made me hoot (LOL). Donkey ice-cream does sound intriguing.

Jeanie Buckingham said...

So, if the Italians win the Euros will it all be down to their consumption of donkey milk? And should we be feeding it to our chaps? Personally I wouldn't touch it which may explain my lack of football skills. I am equally averse to bathing in ass's milk despite Cleopatra's claims for it. The picture of that, presumably, Italian man milking the donkey was particularly distasteful, however, I do like the sound of cherry, vanilla and pistachio a much better combination than strawberry, vanilla and chocolate. 😃🐄 ❤ 🍨

Brett Cooper said...

One of my favourite movies is Francesco Rosi's Hands Over The City about political corruption in Naples. I visited there while backpacking around Europe in the 1970s. Your poem rings true.

Jen McDonagh said...

Interesting, Steve, but donkey milk seems to be a bit niche - unless you live in Italy or near a donkey farm. I've heard that thing about Italian children living at home until they're in their thirties. It seems to be getting more common in this country too! ;)

Boz said...

You bossed it, la! Welcome back. Donkey ices all round. 👍

Jazmeen said...

It really is a thing. I've had some. Loved the colourful poem.

Rod Downey said...

It's not a hoax! I had to google it just to check. I thought you might be pulling our (hind)legs, what with Italy being in the Euro SF, but it's all true. Fascinating and ever so slightly disturbing facts. No such reservations about your clever Neapolitan poem. Well done.

Nick Ball said...

Has donkey milk been tested for performance enhancing properties? I think we should be told. By the way, I went to Naples a few years ago and was taken to see the newspapered cars, virtually a tourist attraction. I think your poem treats the subject well.

Matt West said...

Italians are stallions mate not donkeys. But England are lions! Come on boys. Bring it home.

Deke Hughes said...

Welcome back Steve. That's another fine poem, well done. 👍

CI66Y said...

Well done Steve, another cool and clever read and a lovely poem. I'm getting excited and nervous about Sunday's showdown. What a prospect.

Dan Francisco said...

Great idea to render your poem in Neapolitan colors. This is where the page triumphs over the spoken word.

Mary Jane Evans said...

Hee haw, a very good blog. Donkey milk hasn't made it to my local Co-op yet. I love the latest poem. ❤️

Hannah Wrigley said...

My first reaction was: how weird to be milking donkeys and drinking it. But they're just like a bigger version of goats and no one thinks twice about goat's milk anymore - and it appears to be a lot healthier than cow's milk. I must say I'd give it a try, especially the ice-cream. An intriguing blog!

Francesca Marrone said...

Thank you Steve. I love your blog. In my country we also milk the water buffalo to make mozzarella. It was true, what you write about the young of Napoli; not sure it is also nowadays. The best team to win on Sunday. 🇮🇹

Richard Houghton said...

..."happily shifting through gears to their chequered flag" - what a great line from a great poem, though I feel for anybody whose love nest was a Fiat 500!

Bickerstaffe said...

I can't quite imagine a donkey ices stall on Blackpool prom somehow :)

terry quinn said...

You live and learn. I had no idea of donkey milk and not sure I wanted to know. But the article is so interesting. Thank you Steve. The poem works. By the way, if you go to Preston Marina car park at dusk you will see much the same scenes as in the poem.

Caroline Asher said...

Loved the blog, Steve. You're always searching out the curious angles. Here's a thought: if Cleo really did bathe in asses' milk, was it enjoyed at room temperature or did her handmaids have to warm the stuff for her? The mind boggles. I know which I'd prefer.

Mac Southey said...

I don't know what it's been like in the jewel, but it's not been any sort of ice-cream weather down here in the last few weeks. Thanks for another eye-opening blog and a beautifully lyrical poem about Neapolitan love lives.

Bella Jane Barclay said...

Is it just serendipity that your donkey ice-cream blog coincides with this Italy/England football match? The blog was fascinating, I loved the poem too - the football I can do without (sorry).

Harry Lennon said...

Terrific blog Steve. I remember when Accrington Stanley FC made a 'milk' advert. Sales of donkey milk would rocket if the Azzurri were to endorse it. I enjoyed the latest poem, well done. 👏

Grant Trescothick said...

Brilliant poetry Steve and loved the 3 coloured effect. Most cleverly done.

Anonymous said...

Illogical I know, but donkey ice-cream sounds gross! I liked your poem though :)

Max Page said...

I really enjoyed the blog. The thought of donkey ice-cream was disconcerting at first, but really...why not? It's probably "tasteee" (as your Facebook comment proclaimed - though I note you've not had the pleasure yet). I loved the donkey facts and the clever way you led us to your poem, which is great by the way. Nice one Steve!

Gemma Gray said...

I used to love a dish of Neapolitan. Always a Sunday tea treat.

Rochelle said...

That was fascinating Steve.

Tom Shaw said...

I'd heard about that thing in the cars in Naples. Regarding donkey ice-cream - more a ben & Jerrys thing than Baskins (just pranking).

Vanilla said...

Ha ha, how could I not like this?

Jo Kala said...

Really interesting read in hot weather! Great poetry too. 👍

Seb Politov said...

Very good. I loved the poem (more so after I looked up harlequin and columbine etc). Well played. 👏

Tom Billington said...

It looks like your donkey is spitting his choc ice out! Interesting read and poem. Well done.