written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Thursday 1 July 2021

Ice Cream Passion

I don’t have a sweet tooth. Never had.

When I was little I didn’t like chocolates, cakes, toffees, lemonade. You name any sweet thing and it’s on my NO list, even mints and raisins seemed too sweet. When I was three, at a large family celebration I was found in a pantry looking for some pickled gherkins, as I sincerely confessed.

Totally different story was ice cream. 

I can’t remember, how I met it for the first time, but it seemed to be in my life forever. As soon as summer was approaching with warm sunny days, I just wanted ice cream. Often nothing else but ice cream. Any flavour as long as it was cold. Probably I just needed to cool down after all that running around, climbing trees and fences, digging and jumping, dancing and generally just being a hyperactive little torpedo.


When we were going for walks, mum, dad and I, me often on dad’s shoulders, I was just looking out for ice cream trolleys, freezers on wheels that somebody was pushing around. After my second ice cream, mum and dad started pointing out to me passing dogs, cats, pigeons, seagulls, anything that was moving around the place on the opposite side of us from those ice cream trolleys!

Later when I started school, all my pocket money went to ice cream. We had a small kiosk selling ice cream near the school. It was one that had an ice cream man was weighting into a waffle cone. Different flavours. Spoiled for choices. Divine!!!

Later my interests grew wider, I was buying books and, guess what, ice cream!!!


Now, when on a summer day I go out with my daughter (that's us above), it’s always an ice cream and black bitter coffee day. No sugar, just ice cream. It's sweet enough for me. Rum and raisin is my favourite. I don’t like rum or raisins individually, but the ice cream makes them taste amazing.

I don’t know what else I can add to this never ending story of love and passion. It’s complete. I’d better go and get an ice cream for my breakfast. Just kidding, I had porridge with blueberries.

The ice cream will be for the brunch. If you want to talk to me, just look out for nearest ice cream parlour. See you there!!!

Maija

2 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

Fascinating and amusing to read, Maija. I'm with you regarding pickles (I love them). Ice-cream is an occasional surprise treat for a hot day.

Jazmeen said...

You guys look cool :)