written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Monday 27 September 2021

The Most Boring Place

For many years we lived in Derbyshire and it coincided with the time when our children were little. It is a beautiful place to live. We had a house in a gorgeous village by a river and our two loved playing in the river and fishing for whatever they could find. Derbyshire was not a boring place.

We made regular trips into the Dales surrounding us and they were not boring, rather breathtakingly beautiful. We would visit the surrounding towns of Matlock, Matlock Bath and Bakewell for the lovely mix of independent shops they had to offer and none were boring.

We went to the family attractions ‘Heights of Abraham’, ‘Crich Tramway Museum’ and the steam train from Derby to Matlock and each had its own character and interest.

Derbyshire, however, had one major failing, it is a long way from the sea. The East Midlands is as far away from the sea as you can get in this island of ours. In fact I think Ashby De la Zouch has the dubious privilege of being the furthest place from the sea in England. This is a problem if you love the sea as much as I do. I needed to make trips to catch a glimpse of the sea, walk by it and feel the atmosphere of a seaside resort.

Skegness

Unfortunately the nearest seaside to Derbyshire is Skegness and we went there a couple of times only to discover that there wasn’t much of interest and it became my ‘most boring place’ as summed up in this poem. 

Skegness
I’m drawn
to places
where
nothing
happens,

that’s why
I love
Skegness
with a passion.

The air is filled
with mystery
and the sea can read
your thoughts.

I’ve been coming
here for years
and it never
disappoints.

Thanks for reading and apologies to Skegness, or if you are from there. 
David Wilkinson

3 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

I agree with you about Derbyshire. My father grew up in Bakewell and we used to visit relatives regularly when I was a youngster. My memories of Skegness are two-fold. I've only been there once, on a Sunday School outing. The first thing that sticks in my mind is of a drunken man hurling a bottle at and smashing a plate-glass window on the main street. The second is of the half-mile of ankle-deep mud (probably treated sewage) we had to gloop through to get to the sandy part of the beach. I'll take your word for it that Skegness can be boring :-)

terry quinn said...

I didn't know that there was a steam train fro Derby to Matlock, so thank you for that info.
That balance between the inland beauty and the draw of the sea is a difficult one isn't it. Maybe Dorset gets it right. But at the price of Kensington tractors and second homes.
A pal of mine absolutely loves Skegness. Something to do with the light.
Excellent poem as usual.

Freya Pickard said...

I love the lines "and the sea can read/ your thoughts."