written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 31 December 2022

Hot & Cold

The great god Antithesis appeared to me as in a dream and spoke thus: "Here's a complimentary suggestion for your   hot & cold  blog, Saturday blogger. Write about a snowman in the desert." Therefore, being bereft of all other timely inspiration this New Year's Eve, I have treated his words like an injunction and opted to do just that.


Tapping into the theme of contraries (without which there is no progression, according to my friend Blake), I started obviously enough with hot and cold, then fire and ice, dry and wet, sweet and bitter, high and low, sun and snow and suddenly I was in southern Bolivia in June 2014, and guess what? There's been a terrific snow storm up on the altiplano, part of the Atacama desert (some 12,000 feet above sea level) and the happy natives have built a snowman, the core of which survived (below) for a day or so after the rest of the snow melted swiftly away.


Oh my, the transience of all snowman life! That set me musing in broader terms about other contrasting pairs such as good and bad, rich and poor, legal and illegal as they might apply in a Bolivian sense. That country is the third largest grower of coca plants in the world and home to drug cartels that channel and supply great quantities of cocaine (also known euphemistically as Bolivian Marching Powder) to the Americas, Europe and beyond. 

Those musings gave rise to today's briefest of poems (which I respectfully dedicate to the great god Antithesis). By the way, the Imaginarium has been a drug-free state for several decades now.

Snowman In The Desert
Snowjob he nose the highs
heart of ice grit in his eyes

but insubstantial the prize.
Shadowfear of elimination

haunts under altiplano sky.
Once a blazing raygun sun

concentrates all its fireforce
Snowjob meets a meltwater

death without gravemarker:
lives & dies fast no remorse.






Thanks for reading. Happy New Year ;-) S

26 comments:

Rod Downey said...

Happy New Year Steve. That was fun.

Angela Keaton said...

Tap either one! Love.

Ross Madden said...

Witty words. I like what you've done in the poem esp. the concatenations (snowjob, shadowfear, fireforce etc) and the use of & in the last line. 👏

Billy Banter said...

Has me snorting! 😉

Nigella D said...

Happy New Year. I loved that line "the transience of all snowman life!" Why is it called Bolivian Marching Powder?

Roy Wilson said...

An amusing premise and an interesting poem.👍

Grant Trescothick said...

Yes, a witty post (as has been observed).

Debbie Laing said...

Poor Snowjob! Happy New Year Steve. Thank you for all the blogs and poems. May 2023 bring you continued inspiration.

Tom Shaw said...

I remember that bitter back of the throat taste!

Anonymous said...

Very droll Mr R.

Siobhan Crowley said...

It's a controversial topic, not one to be treated lightly. Cocaine has ruined many lives (not just of those who are addicted to it).

Binty said...

I looked Antithesis up, didn't realise he isn't an actual God! Feeling wiser now. 😂 I liked your poem though.

Dominic Mahon said...

Interesting. I suppose thy don't get real snow that often in Bolivia?

Bernie Mitchell said...

Snowjob was a paradox, cold when he was hottest? Did I get it?

Writer21 said...

Food for thought. I particularly liked the last verse.Thanks, Steve

Deke Hughes said...

As a metaphor for the tenuous human condition of a cocaine 'baron' I think it's neatly done. 👍

Jen McDonagh said...

A clever and thought-provoking poem. I liked the graphic at the end as well :)

Ben Templeton said...

Loved the wit of this, including the cheeky namecheck for William Blake. Well done with the poem.

Louise Bowdell said...

I felt sorry for the snowman. An all too fleeting existence.

Danielle Tomlinson said...

That's quite edgy humour.

Martin Brewster said...

Cleverly done.

terry quinn said...

I thought it was a piece of cotton wool at first. I'm surprised that they don't have more snow at that height.

Very sharp poem.

Dom Patterson said...

Poignant post Steve.

Harry Lennon said...

Intriguing. It's a bad drug, cocaine but a great poem. "...meets a meltwater death without gravemarker" is particularly resonant.

Alistair Bradfield said...

Wittily done. It's a good metaphor. I don't suppose it does snow that often in the high desert - not much moisture to make rain/snow.

Kate Eggleston-Wirtz said...

A fun romp in the outer Imaginarium :)