written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 21 January 2023

Home Comforts

Ah, home comforts. Before I get to the comforts part, just a quick ramble around homes. We British used to give them names, our houses, almost as a matter of course, even if they also had numbers. I think it's regarded as a bit pretentious these days.

The first house I ever lived in was called 'AFON'. It didn't have a number, it wasn't even properly speaking in a street. It was a thatched bungalow in a compound in a rural village in Nigeria. That was home to me until I was five. The second was called 'MERRIAL HOUSE' in Bakewell, Derbyshire. It was/is on a road (Upper Yeld) but I don't think it had a number either. That was the house my father and uncle inherited when my grandparents died and where we lived when we first came back to England. It's long since been sold on. The third was called 'STANLEY HOUSE' in Lime Tree Avenue, Peterborough. It had the number 22, but I was more pleased that it shared a name with the greats - Matthews and Mortensen - except it was probably named for the journalist/explorer/colonial Sir Henry Morton Stanley, (the one who famously met Dr Livingstone) as it was of that period. The fourth was 63 Gilbert Road, Cambridge. It also had a name, 'FAIRLIGHT', in metal letters on the wooden front gate. The individual letters slid into a fixed metal nameplate. What a shit name though! I had fun - this was several years before 'Fawlty Towers ' - unscrewing and re-arranging the letters periodically to rename the house: 'FAILRIGHT', 'FIGHTRAIL', 'AIRFLIGHT', 'FIGHTLAIR', 'HAILGRIFT' and 'GHIAFLIRT'; (there were probably other anagrams I don't recall). My parents either didn't notice or didn't mind. After that there were no more homes with names.

As to the comforts, haven't we come a long way even in our own lifetimes. (I say this with me knocking on seventy next month.) I can still just remember tin baths, oil lamps, coal fires, meat safes, outside loos, flat irons and mangles from an age before homes had refrigerators, washing machines/tumble-driers, central heating, double-glazing, electric blankets, showers, hi-fi systems, televisions, microwave ovens, home-gyms, broadband and wi-fi.

Right now home comforts in one of the richest countries in the world ought to mean a safe, warm space for everyone, with affordable heating in cold weather and plenty of good food to keep us all healthy and nourished. It's an indictment of our lopsided society that millions of Britons are not able to enjoy those basic rights - and what is a society worth if they cannot be guaranteed to the citizens as rights? 

Nearly 50% of the disposable income in the UK goes to the 'wealthiest' 20% of homes, while a mere 7% goes to the poorest 20%. In the immortal words of Liz Truss "that is a disgrace" - except she was talking about the huge amount of French cheese we import; she would never have said it about the rapidly deepening poverty trap that so many are falling into and which her incompetence only recently exacerbated. I didn't intend to become overtly political, it's just the way things are at the moment - too much FAILRIGHT and not enough FAIRLIGHT!

It's surely obvious to everyone that the upward march of scientific progress, conspicuous consumption, materialism and greater home comforts for the majority in the developed countries of the world has occurred inversely to the (rapidly declining) importance of religion for many, their abandoning the idea of a belief in a god or gods. I include myself in that number. The shame of it is that social and moral values appear to have lost much of their currency in the process. Consumerism and a materialist outlook have somehow made us generally more competitive, more self-serving and less community-minded, more concerned with things - our things - than with other people and we haven't used our greater collective wealth more fairly. It's a generalisation, I know, but its undeniably the case that our social fabric is a bit tattered right now. 

consumerism's young dream
I wonder how inevitable it was that matters would take the course they did once the march of scientific progress was underway. Maybe if the world's great religions had taken the opportunity to revise their orthodoxy in the light of developments we might be in a different place. This somewhat irreverent and tongue-in-cheek narrative poem, a work in progress, stems from that thought. See what you think.

How Refrigeration Freed Religion
A Rabbi, an Imam and a Cardinal walk into a bar
- stop me please if you've heard this one before...
actually that's not quite true. The Doxy's this new
air-conditioned diner down on the lower East side
that's the hottest spot in town, so for Friday lunch

it's bustling, but after a wait they're given a booth
and graciously greeted once seated by Miss Roxy,
she'll be their waitress today. It's the easiest hunch
to ask if they'd like the special ecumenical menus,
but they wave the suggestion away, order a round

of beers and announce that they'll have the Doxy's
three-course meal deal: seafood platter to start and
roast pork with all the trimmings as main, a carafe
of house red with that, then chocolate cheesecakes
with cream, coffees and mints to finish. Miss Roxy

hides her surprise with professional aplomb, serves
each course with deadpan charm, while wondering
quite how the clerics square their choice with Bible,
Torah or Quran. Behind the serving hatch, the chef,
sporting a Jesus of Cool T-shirt, gives the lowdown

and it all goes back to that time before refrigeration
when foods were deemed unclean if they would go
bad quickly in hot weather, seafood, meat and dairy
all forbidden for reasons of hygiene, nothing more;
and alcohol as it induced dehydration in hot climes

before the invention of air-con. So sassy Miss Roxy
smiles knowingly as she presents the check, thanks
her religious gentlemen for their very generous tips
and watches with a new respect for unorthodoxy as
a Rabbi, an Imam and a Cardinal walk out the door.

Thanks for reading. Stay cool, S ;-)

30 comments:

Nadia Quigley said...

Ha ha, I enjoyed the anagrams of your house names. Wordplay was obviously an early fixation. Your poem was food for thought, one of the quirkiest I can remember.

Rod Downey said...

"Too much FAILRIGHT and not enough FAIRLIGHT!" - very clever. And a Nick Lore reference. 🙂

Binty said...

Funny man. And I've just wasted 15 minutes trying to devise another anagram but all I can do is HAIRGLIFT, which is not even a word! (LOL)

Tim Collins said...

Isn't it the case that the more people have, the more they become dependent on it and scared of losing it? I was perfectly happy before the internet but I'd be reluctant to go off-grid now. I enjoyed your poem.

Anonymous said...

Some religions just oppose the eating of animals because it's cruel.

Brett Cooper said...

As a young'un I was intrigued by our fridge. It used heat to make cold. Guess that's what got me into being an engineer.

Morag Fortune said...

Interesting and informative. Like it.

Billy Banter said...

I'm liking sassy Miss Roxy of the Doxy. 😉

Seb Politov said...

Well said about the deepening divide. It will be nearly 15 years of Tory misrule before we get a change of direction. I enjoyed your poem.

Saskia Parker said...

Tongue in cheek it may be, but I really enjoyed How Refrigeration Freed Religion. I had to google Jesus of Cool just in case I was missing something vital. I don't remember Nick Lowe. Was he new wave?

Tom Shaw said...

Happy 2023. My folks used to have a refrigerator like that when I was a kid. I enjoyed your unlikely poem Steve. I used to live in East Village when I was studying in NY. The Doxy could just have existed! Also, I love the way you referenced one of my favorites, Nick Lowe.

Martha Hess said...

I've never had a house with a name but I'm tempted to call this one DONE RENTING. We had to borrow a shedload of money from both sets of parents to buy our own home but even paying the mortgage plus repaying our parents is less per month than our rent used to be. It's a crazy system. I always enjoy your blogs and I've never left a comment before but I juts had to this time. You're so right about the social fabric being shredded. And your lovely poem made me smile. Thank you.

Debbie Laing said...

I love the imaginarium! It never disappoints. 👏

Gemma Gray said...

You never miss an opportunity to take a poke at Liz Truss, do you? And for that you are to be congratulated. She (and Johnson before her) epitomise all that is worst in British political life, a decline which I think started with Thatcher and her decision to sell off council houses along with so much else and tried to make little capitalists of us all.

Will Moore said...

I liked this latest blog. I’ll see your fridge and raise you a washing machine - https://youtu.be/BZoKfap4g4w
BTW. Idea of a religious reboot in the face of technological change - we aren’t all bedouins any more.

Roger Wakeley said...

I just wanted to congratulate you on coming up with GHIAFLIRT as an anagram. I take it you were mad on cars (and girls) as a lad? It's brilliant. Your poem was fun too.

Bronwyn Evans said...

Was your house in Nigeria near water? Afon is Welsh for river. I was wondering what your homer comforts are at the moment. Mine is a hot water bottle!

Dan Ewers said...

Of course you're right in what you say and it's partly human nature. Religion made us good people out of fear. Now we're released from its shackles (except for those fundamentalists) and it's too easy to become self-obsessed. I enjoyed your amusing poem.

Ailsa Cox said...

I was amused by the photo: when housewives wore pinnies and were probably regarded as home comfort number one! My nanna had a cool larder with a meat safe in it (to keep the flies off the bacon).

Stu Hodges said...

I love that an air-conditioned diner can be the hottest spot in town. Isn't language wonderful. And "ecumenical menus", terrific idea! 🤣

James Wilsher said...

I didn't know the reason why alcohol was proscribed. I supposed it was all to do with drunkenness being ungodly. Well said about the social fabric being in tatters. Too many people just think low taxes and blue passports are more important than a well-run and fair country.

Brizette Lempro said...

I don't recall any house I've lived in having a name, only numbers. The house we bought when first married was 142 (say it aloud) which we thought was very cute. When it became one for five we had to move! Yes it's sad what you say about selfishness today but some of us preserve our faith despite challenges.

Mike Dell said...

Wise and witty.

Jenny Grant said...

My husband's parents lived in a house named The Tumble. I don't think we ever knew why it was called that. I liked your poem of dietary unorthodoxy.

Tif Kellaway said...

Thought-provoking. I enjoyed the poem.

Ross Madden said...

Good blogging. I believe it will take a general election and the trouncing of the Tories before we can start repairing the social fabric and enabling everyone to enjoy home comforts without having to make tough choices between e.g. eating and heating. Well done with the witty and instructive poem about food taboos. 👏

Diana Maartens said...

My parents house where I grew up was called THUISHAVEN (haven house), not very original I think. I liked your blog and unorthodox funny poem.

terry quinn said...

Completely agree with the sentence 'home comforts in one of the richest countries in the world ought to mean a safe, warm place for everyone'. Sums it up really.

What a superb poem.

Malcolm Drysdale said...

I was amused by your anagram antics as a boy, and I think the poem is terrific.

Charlotte Mullins said...

A clever idea for a poem. 👏