written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Monday 30 September 2024

Footsteps to Footprints

The oldest human footprints to date were discovered in 2021 in White Sands National Park, New Mexico. They are thought to be between 21,000 and 23,000 years old.


For approximately five million years our species have been walking upright. Our ancestors traded in the ability to climb trees with ease for a ground-based existence. In evolution, being bipedal has helped us in cooling our bodies’, to travel great distances, see over tall grasses and free our hands to carry tools and infants.


Approximately 3535350 steps from White Sands was where I took my own first steps. It became apparent as I grew that I walked like my father with the same spindly legs, knobbly knees and a brisk purposeful step. I have no idea what my mother’s natural gait would have been like. She had polio as a young woman leaving one leg paralyzed. Growing up I observed her daily struggles with mobility and therefore will never take for granted the ability to move about unrestricted.


Feet indeed are miraculous. How they support our bodies is mind boggling. Mine have served me well and have taken me on many incredible adventures including creative ones. 

Speaking of which, in mulling over what to do for this blog post, I stepped into the studio thinking it would be interesting to explore my feet through an artist’s lens. Firstly, I began photographing my subjects. The whole foot as an image was not nearly as interesting as concentrating on sections, although some might beg to differ. The images to me became other worldly and landscape-like.

right foot sole (i)
I have never looked at my feet so closely. The soles are thick, the thickest skin on the human body. They are glabrous (free from hair) and covered in friction ridge skin that helps to keep me from slipping when in my bare feet. This became highlighted in the magnified images. 

right foot sole (ii)
Also in the spotlight is how the skin has lost its elasticity with age. One can cry or celebrate this. I choose the latter. How fortunate I am to have walked the many miles I have thanks to these two remarkable complex appendages that have supported and balanced my body throughout my life’s journey.
left ankle
Leaving the camera behind, I picked up my number 05 Micron pen and had a go at drawing in my Moleskine sketchbook.

foot sketch
Finally, I did some foot printing and thought I would share the process in case someone might like to give it a go.

Materials: Floor Covering, Paper, Water-based Paint (Acrylic or Poster Paint), Paint Pot and/or Palette, Brush, Water Pot, Kitchen Roll or Wet Wipes.

printing on paper: step 1 mix, step 2 paint, step 3 print
I discovered the first print was too thick. The second and third printings were more successful.


And now for something completely different…

Right or Left?

Is this a giant god or myth
with head of horns, or golden crown
standing upright or upside down
on naked soles - such length, such width

stripped bare to one’s immortal skin
the Sculptor’s chiselled steps there in
for mortals uplift or descent
shapeshifting cast within cement
for hearts be still who dare repent
and pay with life in death well spent
or fall into a fiery pit
filled with Satan’s blood and spit.

Decide to step, which foot of steps
one stairwell each, two giant feet
right and left, the two shall meet
at Heaven’s gates or in Hell’s depths.

Thank you for reading.

Kate J

White Sands Footprints image credit: National Park Service
(https://www.nps.gov/whsa/learn/nature/fossilized-footprints.htm)

All other photographs credit and copyright KEW

2 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

This was both instructive and fun, and presented with your customary artistic flair. I loved the description of your briskly purposeful ambulation and the family pictures. We tend to forget that polio was quite prevalent until the middle of the last century: both Joni Mitchell and Neil Young were sufferers.

The foot painting/printing looks fun, but I'm not going to try it.

And I'm still puzzling over your intriguing poem. Thank you.

Mary Jane Evans said...

Feet are incredible. They're not always the prettiest things but they are amazing. I really enjoyed your blog, your art and your poem.