written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Sunday 17 July 2011

Considering Audience

05:29:00 Posted by Ashley Lister 5 comments

By Danielle R Smith

When asked to write a post on 'Considering Audience' I was initially struck with memories of classes in which we were told repeatedly that you must always consider your audience. You must write to fulfil the needs of the audience. You must understand your audience. Now, years on and free from the classroom, I disagree.

Okay I’ll explain. I’m an incredibly selfish writer and unless I am being paid (or hoping to be paid) the only person I am going to consider when writing is me. I’m sure I can’t be the only one?

My poems are about things I relate to. Things that inspire me or things that make me smile. When I write fiction I have a sneaking suspicion the protagonists, be it a man, woman, child or tree have a little bit of myself (or at least who I wish I was) in them. When I write my blog I try and write a blog I would like to read. I do this because I’m a writer, a reader, a girl who loves shopping and sleeping I’m not a psychic and I’m not very perceptive. So rather than worrying about my audience I write for the one person I know best, myself. It’s not that I think I have great taste because I’m very sure that I don’t. In fact I have been called tasteless on many occasions. But writing for an audience seems fraught with stress, presumptions and second guesses. Not for me.

Whilst I understand that this is probably not the best way to go about writing I am resistant to change. Writing for an intended audience of one means that my work is often similar but I like to think that this just means I have a distinctive style. And at least when I stand up at the next DGP meeting I know that I will enjoy my work. If anyone else does I count that as a bonus.

5 comments:

Ashley Lister said...

Thanks Dani,

Thanks for giving us your perspective on audiences. Thanks also for providing proof that the best writers have the middle initial 'R'.

Best,

Ashley R Lister

Standard said...

Amen x

Lindsay said...

Brilliant, spot on xx

Danielle Rose said...

Thank you for the comments, I've loved guest posting and would be happy to do it again at some point. XX

Damp incendiary device said...

You do have a most distinctive voice and as an audience member that's what I long to hear. I hope you'll be at the next event - we've been missing you! xx